• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

Here in Brazil there is chaos on Facebook, they are literally using the fact that the sky is represented by a planet to nullify the quote of it actually being the size of the Universe (it all started when DB got infinite speed)

Here we're go

Last edited:
Would you agree to dragon ball z battle of gods being canon to Toei? Since the movie is no longer canon to the main work and has its own adaptation in the anime super

Well, first we should know is that Akira said that ANIME started in 2013 year is «casual continuation» of story. This could refer to either the original manga or the anime, but personally I'm inclined to think that Akira was referring to the anime, after all it was under Toei's patronage that these films were created, as well as a further anime called DBS, the content of which was very different from what was in Toyotaro's manga.
All in all, I personally find it extremely odd to split Dragonball into "canon" and "Toei", where the former includes the DBS Anime and Manga, even though only the Anime was labelled as a near-canon continuation, while the Manga's status is roughly on the level of fanfics. That said, fully categorising DBS Anime as canon is a bit odd too, given what Akira said.
Personally, I'd put the films from 2013 onwards and the DBS Anime in the Anime category along with TV-1 and TV-2 (Dragonball and Dragonball Z respectively), and the same with Manga in the corresponding category.

As for the question specifically regarding the films.... Well, they came out under the title Z, made by the authors of DBZ, and also in Chouzenshuu 4 the events of DBZ: God and God and DBZ: Resurrection "F" are in the same timeline as the DBZ Anime. I think that's more than enough to tie them together.

Well, first we should know is that Akira said that ANIME started in 2013 year is «casual continuation» of story. This could refer to either the original manga or the anime, but personally I'm inclined to think that Akira was referring to the anime, after all it was under Toei's patronage that these films were created, as well as a further anime called DBS, the content of which was very different from what was in Toyotaro's manga.
All in all, I personally find it extremely odd to split Dragonball into "canon" and "Toei", where the former includes the DBS Anime and Manga, even though only the Anime was labelled as a near-canon continuation, while the Manga's status is roughly on the level of fanfics. That said, fully categorising DBS Anime as canon is a bit odd too, given what Akira said.
Personally, I'd put the films from 2013 onwards and the DBS Anime in the Anime category along with TV-1 and TV-2 (Dragonball and Dragonball Z respectively), and the same with Manga in the corresponding category.

As for the question specifically regarding the films.... Well, they came out under the title Z, made by the authors of DBZ, and also in Chouzenshuu 4 the events of DBZ: God and God and DBZ: Resurrection "F" are in the same timeline as the DBZ Anime. I think that's more than enough to tie them together.
Yes, i have the same idea, the newer movies have Z in the name that of the anime Z itself, There is also a lot of evidence for this, i wanted to do something for Toei in my free time

This could refer to either the original manga or the anime, but personally I'm inclined to think that Akira was referring to the anime,
"...I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga’s] serialization had continued."

"This manga was suited to a slightly old-fashioned setting, so I went with that. If it stayed like that, however, I’d just be a retro-fancying, middle-aged cartoonist, so I felt that it needed a reason for the old-fashioned setting, and added that on intending it to be a bit of a surprise. Because of that, I treated the final chapter as an extra. (By the way, Bulma’s having a much-older sister is that, at the time of Battle of Gods, Bulma’s parents have reached a ripe old age of at least 70, yet they didn’t really look it…. Well, more than anything, it’s because [Bulma’s] an incredible inventor. ♥)" [implying Battle of Gods and Jaco the Galactic Patrolman are linked]

i got bored pretend there are more quotes here
All in all, I personally find it extremely odd to split Dragonball into "canon" and "Toei", where the former includes the DBS Anime and Manga, even though only the Anime was labelled as a near-canon continuation, while the Manga's status is roughly on the level of fanfics.

and also in Chouzenshuu 4
The Super Encyclopedia?

I mean, aren't there little things like characters that are only anime?

Like, Gregory, that cricket. He only appears in the DBZ anime and DBS Anime.

I don't remember him appearing in the original manga or the DBS manga.

"...I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga’s] serialization had continued."

"This manga was suited to a slightly old-fashioned setting, so I went with that. If it stayed like that, however, I’d just be a retro-fancying, middle-aged cartoonist, so I felt that it needed a reason for the old-fashioned setting, and added that on intending it to be a bit of a surprise. Because of that, I treated the final chapter as an extra. (By the way, Bulma’s having a much-older sister is that, at the time of Battle of Gods, Bulma’s parents have reached a ripe old age of at least 70, yet they didn’t really look it…. Well, more than anything, it’s because [Bulma’s] an incredible inventor. ♥)" [implying Battle of Gods and Jaco the Galactic Patrolman are linked]

i got bored pretend there are more quotes here

The Super Encyclopedia?

Mmm...
Firstly, [manga] square brackets make it sound like something very peculiar, but there's nothing in Toriyama's words to confirm full canonicity in this case, and it's widely known that he didn't elaborate on the plot much, only outlining the general details in a rough draft, which is the basis for the Manga and Anime DBS. Moreover, as we now know, Toriyama's thoughts on the continuation of the original story led us to Dragonball Daima, with its status as absolute canon in accordance with Akira's precepts, who wanted to show and reveal the Demon World back when he was working on TV-1.
Secondly – battle of gods is part of Z, so it doesn't contradict to my takes.

正統続編 – official sequiel or legitimate continuation. And... Viz? I don't even want to think about them.

And we have this, the most actual scan from the book released for the film Dragonball Super: Super Hero, which is at least 30 pages long, but in this case this page alone will suffice.
2013年からのアニメシリーズ は、僕の原作で、さりげなく続き話になっています – The animated series from 2013 is based on my original story and is a casual continuation of the story.
※2・‥「ドラゴンボールZ 神と神]から始まり、「ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」」、「ドラゴンポール超」、「ドラゴンポール超 ブロリー」と連なるアニメシリーズ。 – *2: The anime series began with "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods," and continued with "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'," "Dragon Ball Super," and "Dragon Ball Super: Broly."

Here, Akira Toriyama set the stage for a straight and 100% canonical DBS sequel by telling his final attitude towards this work. It's not really surprising - he was probably already working on Dragonball Daima, which is the sequel he's been thinking about for so long.

I hope the answer is never, Null is the only sane person here.
When I’m in a lie your ass off competition and this is my opponent:
Squidward.jpg

Back