• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Broly Novel Canonicity

I made this thread so it can be discussed whether or not the novel that came with the movie's release can be considered canon and let the information be used.

The novel does nothing but elaborate on the story by better explaining certain aspects and showing certain scenes from a different angle.

On this website http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2293863 it has Toriyama and Kusakabe listed as the authors/creators of the novel. It states that Toriyama is responsible for the original story, the screenplay and character designs whereas Kusakabe is responsible for the novel adaptation itself.

This script is effectively the screenplay being adapted into a novel-format and does not contradict the movie. I think, for now, it should be treated as canon but the question of whether or not it is actually canon should continue to be questioned and investigated.

That's what I'm saying lol. If Toriyama played a part in the novel then it's canon (the novel is literally just like the movie)

"it has Toriyama and Kusakabe listed as the authors/creators of the novel. It states that Toriyama is responsible for the original story, the screenplay and character designs whereas Kusakabe is responsible for the novel adaptation itself."

So basically the same as DBS anime, movie and manga!

Except the novel does nothing to alter the story except elaborate it further.

Think of this as the Assassin's Creed novels (AC Odyssey is different when it comes to choice making, but the feats are literally not contradicted at all). They explore the additional memories of the game's protagonists which you can't visit with the Animus because those memories are literally unneccesary to visit (Unless you want a cool Assassin's Creed game unbarred with shitty pacing).

I agree with the novel being usable, but the reasoning of Toriyama being counted as an author is more of the 'original script by' sorta thing and is irrelevant, just wanna get that out of the way first to make sure no one thinks that alone is proof.

I believe the consistency and overall no contradictions was the first reason, with Toriyama as a author being a supporting one.

Back