• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry Discussion Thread 12: Dante's Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, the Strategy Guide said Nightmare could destroy the Underworld? I own said guide and I recall no such statement.

It wasn't the strategy guide. It was the new Visions of V manga which stated Nightmare could "lay waste to the demon world", though the phrasing is important here, since it doesn't explicitly say they could "destroy" it. I've made a CRT discussing it, coming to some low-end, conservative estimates about the statement.

Kepekley23 said:
Wait, the Strategy Guide said Nightmare could destroy the Underworld? I own said guide and I recall no such statement.
thats what I was wondering since according to the Nightmare trivia on the dmc wiki, the strategy guide says something like that and so I asked if anyone can double check if it's true.

Does it? The discussion over the feat started with the recent Visions of V chapter, not the strategy guide. Either way, if the statement exists, at best it's a supporting statement.

"This is actually from Devil May Cry Kaitai Shinsho guide book, which is emphasized again in the manga. In that book, Nightmare was called "Nightmare-╬▒ (Alpha)".

Ok, the trivia information was updated. Apparently it's from a guide book called Devil May Cry Kaitai Shinsho ( ÒâçÒâôÒâ½ÒâíÒéñÒé»Òâ®ÒéñÞºúõ¢ôþ£ƒµø©) or Devil May Cry Book of Deconstructions.Based off a simple google search it's an official Japanese DMC1 strategy guide that breaks down everything in the game.It would be good to get scans of that.

This is actually really good if we can get the scans. It would not only help validate Nightmare's feat beyond the statements in Visions of V, but it would also potentially offer some much needed context.

It seems I don't have that book u_u

Following through several links, I could only find this about Nightmare.

ÒâèÒéñÒâêÒâíÒéó

Ú¡öÕ©ØÒü«Õæ¢õ╗ñÒéÆÒüƒÒüáµ®ƒµó░þÜäÒü½ÞíîÒüåþäíµ®ƒÞ│¬Òü¬Õ¡ÿÕ£¿´╝êµäŵÇØÒüîÒüéÒéïÒüïÒü»õ©ìµÿÄ)ÒÇüÒüØÒü«þäíÚÖÉÒü¿ÒééÞ¿ÇÒüêÒéïÕèøÒéÆÞºúµö¥ÒüùþÂÜÒüæÒéïÒü¿Ú¡öþòîÒü«Õ«ëÕ«ÜÒüÖÒéëµÅ║ÒéëÒüÄÒüïÒü¡Òü¬ÒüäÒÇüõ©èÞ¿ÿÒüºÕñ▒µòùõ¢£Òü¿Þ¿ÇÒüúÒüƒÒü«Òü»ÒüôÒü«þé║ÒÇé
'þäªÒüúÒüƒÚ¡öÕ©ØÒü»ÒâèÒéñÒâêÒâíÒéóÒü¿õ©ÇþÀÆÒü½µïÿµØƒµû絺ÿ´╝êµÜ┤ÞÁ░ÒéƵèæÒüêÒéïµïÿµØƒÕàÀ)Òé╗ÒââÒâêÒüºÚàìþ¢«ÒüÖÒéïõ║ïÒü½Òü¬Òéï'ÒÇé

Nightmare

It is not known if there is an inorganic existence to follow instructions from the emperor just mechanically, and it is possible to shake even the stability of the demon world if it keeps releasing the power which can be said that it is infinite, and it is this that it was said that it is a failure work above. 'The impatience devil will be arranged with nightmare in the restraint pattern (restraint tool to suppress runaway) set'.

Directly from Google Translator, and apparently doesn't say nothing...so...special...oh...

No matter how I translate it, it always comes up with "can be said to be infinite" and "shake the stability of" or "shake" the demon world

uh oh

Would a 4-A feat be considered an outlier for Nightmare? I would think so, but the more I think about it the less I'm sure.

Tiering wise Sounds like 4-A (shakes the stability of the underworld) possibly 3-A (It's power is implied to be infinite and it's stated to "lay waste to the underworld" ) for Nightmare (Dante and Abigail obviously scale along with maybe a couple others) if any of this can be considered valid

I think it possibly can.

Dante only ever had to try against both Nightmare and Trish in tandem, and even then, he was vastly above them.

Everyone else he casually stomped.

Still, I'm gonna see about a better translation

However, Goku shaking the Afterlife is Galaxy level+ so I'm not sure

Aaaand yeah, I think it might be an outlier, unless we take some other statements (Like the Supernova statement which is High 4-C) and Savior's possible dimensions as usable, because Low and Mid tiers are too consistent with Tier 7

Even Anime Dante fighting someone comparable with him was Tier 7

I don't think it's an outlier for Nightmare if it has 2 statements that would warrant it's tier, gave DMC1 Dante the most trouble (outside of Mundus and Nelo) and Mundus himself considers it a threat.Its completely believable that Nightmare is just stronger than we initially thought and isn't a low or mid tier

Got something. It's either:

"Nightmare.

This is the reason why it is said to be an inorganic existence (unknown whether there is a will) that performs merely a mechanical command of the demon emperor, and the stability of the Makai might be wavering if it keeps releasing the power which can be said to be infinite, and it was said that it was a failure in the above. 'The impatient demon emperor will be placed in a restraint pattern (restraint to suppress the runaway) set with nightmare."

or:

"Nightmare.

An inorganic entity that mechanically commands the Demon Empire (it is unknown if there is an intention), and if you continue to release its infinite power, even the stability of the Makai may fluctuate. The imperial Demon Empire will be placed in a restraint pattern (restraint tool to prevent runaway) set together with Nightmare, he has the power to destroy the demon world"

Fyi, Makai means Demon World from what I can tell.

According to my friend, it seems akwardly translated. As if it was translated into japanese from english, according to him.

According to him, if it wasn't so messed up, he'd say it was something like:

"Nightmare.

An inorganic entity that mechanically obeys the commands of the Demon Emperor (it is unknown if it has any will). If it keeps releasing its power, which can be said to be infinte, the stability of the Demon World would be at risk. The Demon Emperor restrained his will to prevent him from running wild."

We also have Griffon, who knew Sparda, saying that Dante was already comparable to him

And if we take Abigail as comparable to a Demon King, boom, consistency, which also fits with the fact that Dante was OP af in DMC2 which is around the same year from the anime, maybe 1 or 2 years after

Alright so

If we can, we should try to work together on this one and see if we can gather some feats that wouldn't make this a massive outlier.

Things like The Savior's realms, the supernova statement, etc.

This does seem usable, and I do think we can scale DMC1 Dante to it. Especially given that he is the only one to be shown fighting Nightmare and overpowering him. Every other demon in the series is shown to be massively below him, to the point where nothing can even harm him during DMC5.

Granted, we have a major burden of proof and an uphill argument to win, since outlier is the name of the game.

KnightOfSunlight said:
According to him, if it wasn't so messed up, he'd say it was something like:

"Nightmare.

An inorganic entity that mechanically obeys the commands of the Demon Emperor (it is unknown if it has any will). If it keeps releasing its power, which can be said to be infinte, the stability of the Demon World would be at risk. The Demon Emperor restrained his will to prevent him from running wild."
However this translation fits with Visions of V, since "the stability of the Demon World would be at risk" can be about the demons who live there

Note that the kaniji for stability seems to be more referenceing to the structural stability, not heirarchical.

Then again, I'm pretty shit at kanji, but that's what little I could glean without help.

the "If it keeps releasing its power", which can be said to be infinite" is the key part here.That implies Nightmare's shear power is the thing that would lay waste to the demon world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back