• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

This is honestly a pretty risky phase 1 tbh, they're gonna have to stick the landing on most of these if they're going to sell people on a shared DC cinematic universe again. The Brave and the Bold seems like it has a lot of promise and a Grant Morrison inspired Superman could be really cool, same with the Waller and Green Lantern shows that are being ran by the HBO Watchmen showrunner they sound awesome. Stuff like The Authority I'm gonna have to be sold on though because idk if an obscure team is what you decide to base a movie around in your phase 1, could be a GotG situation at the same time. Also don't know how to feel about reports of them wanting to keep Ezra Miller as the DCU's Flash 😬

I don't see anything risky announced.
Most of these wouldn't be risky if this was an established cinematic universe but this is them starting over again which is an uphill battle anyways, projects like Paradise Lost, The Authority and Creature Commandos all sort of give phase 4 vibes if anything where the direction is aimless so Marvel, or in this case DC, are throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, I'm hoping it works out though.

To etablish a cinematic universe you have to make your audience love your least popular characters too. James Gunn proved he can do this with Guardians and now he's writing projects such as Swamp Thing that isn't fully unpopular, he had a show before and his comics are all time best.

Only risky thing I see is Booster Gold, but it's likely going to be very comedic so I don't see how it can flop.

Animations require less budget and in consequence less people need to watch it in order to pay itself with HBO money. Really, nothing is risky besides maybe Booster Gold. Waller is maybe risky, though the character is popular, can't see it floping.

Notice how the point is about flop, not quality.

Yeah I feel ya the whole point is getting the foundations laid and seeing if we can successfully get these off the ground which I believe can work for everything slated

Also lol if Kiteman can get traction off of Harley Quinn then I have absolutely no doubt booster gold will grip casual audiences

To etablish a cinematic universe you have to make your audience love your least popular characters too. James Gunn proved he can do this with Guardians and now he's writing projects such as Swamp Thing that isn't fully unpopular, he had a show before and his comics are all time best.
I think getting audiences behind DC's lesser-known characters is necessary too but what the possible issue could be is that there'll be no hook with this universe. In the MCU all the heroes in phase 1 except Hulk were C-listers until their movies came out and that could well happen with the likes of Swamp Thing or Booster Gold if they stick the landing, but everyone introduced in phase 1 are all some of the most important characters in the verse and contribute to the overarching story. If this is going to be successful I'm not too sure they chose the right line-up for this Chapter 1.

Only risky thing I see is Booster Gold, but it's likely going to be very comedic so I don't see how it can flop.

Animations require less budget and in consequence less people need to watch it in order to pay itself with HBO money. Really, nothing is risky besides maybe Booster Gold. Waller is maybe risky, though the character is popular, can't see it floping.
Gotta disagree on this point, I can see people getting behind Booster Gold if it's a well-written, it also has the advantage of being a TV show so they don't have to focus on breaking even and making a profit as much as a movie does, and Waller is basically Peacemaker season 2, which already has a following so that's easy to get people sold on.

Notice how the point is about flop, not quality.
I have mostly focused on whether this'll be successful or not but tbh I'm only looking at it this way because I don't doubt that most of these projects will be good, great even. I'm mainly concerned because I want this universe to thrive, everything coming seems to be made with care and respect for the source material so I'd hate for it to lead to more WB corporate politics that we've already had to deal with for the past decade.

But I'm still having mixed thoughts if this is going to be even worse than the previous movies or this ends up flopping badly

Also, as for The Flash that's coming out soon, it could either be one of the worst movies or one of the best movies out of the center

Actually that Supergirl movie sounds pretty cool. I hear its source material Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow is a really good run. Interested to see who they get to direct.

Fn0m5mkaQAE_aP3

Return of Weasel and Rick Flag Sr. is also present

Midnighter is broken as ****. He's a smurf among the street tiers. Dude literally CAN'T be hit by a bullet, the PC on his head make him virtually win every combat and he's arguably the best martial artist in comics, he fought a room full of assassins that Cassandra Cain couldn't win.

To be honest only someone like current Shang Chi or Karate Kid stand a chance against him.

I haven’t started reading WildStorm yet, but I’m gonna say Cass wins anyway :smug:
I'll read it, I've been looking to get back into actual DC comics and I also want to read that superman comic where he fought like his future self or whatever, that seemed cool as hell if anyone knows the name of it

It's a good read. I think you'll like it.
Also not DC related but I've got a couple of Marvel Comic Omnibus's that I'm reading one of which is Matt Fractions Hawkeye run

Back