• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics: Minor Notability Criteria fix

Okay, but which refers to which for the 7 issues and 10 issues mentions.

Okay. I thought that you accepted different minimum issue standards for different continuities, but you are undecided then?

10 is minimum number of appearances a character should have before they can qualify for a page on the wiki, and 7 refers to a minimum number of appearances for keys

Okay, but weren't we going to use different numbers for different eras?

Okay then. I was uncertain which continuity that Firestorm referred to. It is hard to keep track of the specifics when jumping between threads.

Here's the page to unlock.

Just remembered that this was never applied.

I believe the agreed upon appearance criteria was:
  • Golden Age: 5
  • Pre-Crisis: 15
  • Post-Crisis: 10
  • Post-Flashpoint: 10
Okay. Can you be more specific before I give a go ahead for this change please?

Golden Age (1938 - 1956) characters need five appearances to be indexed, Pre-Crisis (1956 - 1986) characters need fifteen, Post-Crisis (1986 - 2011) characters need ten, and Post-Flashpoint (2011 and onward) need ten.

Okay. That seems fine to me.

Would you and/or Firestorm808 be willing to appropriately adjust the page in question?

Yeah, I can do it. How does this look for a rewording of the page:
For the Prime Marvel Universe, please refrain from making profiles for characters with less than 20 appearances across comic books (approximately 2 years' worth of appearances). For DC Comics, refrain from making profiles for Golden Age characters with less than 5 appearances, Pre-Crisis characters with less than 15 appearances and Post-Crisis or Post-Flashpoint characters with less than 10 appearances, unless they play an extremely important part in the overall plot and scaling of the characters, or are frequently mentioned by other media, as the constantly changing nature of their statistics make it hard for us to keep files updated as is.

It looks good, except for the following text, as it seems to give far too much leeway to avoid finding a coherent and consistent context under certain circumstances.

"unless they play an extremely important part in the overall plot and scaling of the characters, or are frequently mentioned by other media"

How about this instead?

"unless they play an extremely important part in the scaling of other characters"

It looks good, except for the following text, as it seems to give far too much leeway to avoid finding a coherent and consistent context under certain circumstances.

"unless they play an extremely important part in the overall plot and scaling of the characters, or are frequently mentioned by other media"

How about this instead?

"unless they play an extremely important part in the scaling of other characters"
That’s fine by me.
Thank you.

@Qawsedf234 @Firestorm808 @Eficiente @Emirp sumitpo @Maverick_Zero_X

What do you think?

So is this text fine to apply then?

"For the Prime Marvel Universe, please refrain from making profiles for characters with less than 20 appearances across comic books (approximately 2 years' worth of appearances). For DC Comics, refrain from making profiles for Golden Age characters with less than 5 appearances, Pre-Crisis characters with less than 15 appearances and Post-Crisis or Post-Flashpoint characters with less than 10 appearances, unless they play an extremely important part in the scaling of other characters, as the constantly changing nature of their statistics make it hard for us to keep files updated as is."

This rule is dumb. What if I wanted to make a profile on the jurassic league which has good feats but only 6 appearances?

Thank you for the reply. I have applied the new rule text.

What should we do with the (still remaining) following part? It can probably stay as it is for Marvel Comics, but should it be slightly adjusted for DC Comics?

"For keys in existing profiles, and equipment files, one only requires at least 15 appearances across comic books, as opposed to 20."

Golden Age: 3 appearances for keys
Pre-Crisis: 10 appearances for keys
Post-Crisis and Post-Flashpoint: 7 appearances for keys

How about something like this?

Well, it seems a bit too lenient for my tastes, as there is a big risk that we would end up with lots of keys that have very unreliable scaling basis. Maybe we could just use the same limits as for the minimum numbers of character appearances to stay on the safe side?

Jurassic League isn't mainline I think, I dunno if it'd even fall under these restrictions.

Anyway, Tracer's proposal seems fine to me, I doubt that many people will go out of their way to wank 10-issue characters lol.

I think that 5 issues for Golden Age, 15 issues for Pre-Crisis, and 10 issues for Post-Crisis and Post-Flashpoint seem like better safeguards.

Let's just put in baseline values for now and say that exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. It's not a big deal when it comes to 7 vs 10 if a case can be made for importance.

What if I wanted to make a profile for a character that appears in like very few comics but is pretty notable and has good feats? (e.g Death from Where is thy Sting, Zha-Vam the invincible who is pretty OP, Lord Satanis). I think we should make it so that you can make a CRT to get characters who don't meet the criteria approved for a profile if there's a good reason for it (or staff permission)

Just having nice feats shouldn’t be enough to warrant a profile, unless they’re useful for scaling other characters.

Back