• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nomenclature change for DC Comics profiles.

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
Currently we use popular terms for profiles, such as "Post Crisis", wich refers to everything during the period of 1986 to 2011, after the Crisis On Infinite Earths event. "Post Flashpoint" is used for versions after the Flashpoint event.

The "issue" is that "Crisis" is now an official term for DC Comics events, Final Crisis, Dark Crisis, etc. When we refer to "Post Crisis", we who read comics know that this is referring to the COIE event, but for newcomers this isn't telling them much.

I think we should change the names to the official ones:

Pre Crisis = Earth One

Post Crisis = New Earth

Post Flashpoint = Prime Earth

Profiles related to different editorial phases such as Superman (Rebirth) should be:

Superman (Prime Earth - Rebirth)

You may think that these names aren't popular and people wouldn't know what exactly they're referring to, wich is correct, however, I have two arguments for this

1. The name Post Crisis should be redirected for "New Earth", so when searching "Batman (Post Crisis)" on the wiki, it shows "Batman (New Earth)".

2. It makes the names equal to the ones from DC Database, a common source for average viewers. If they search Batman on DC Database, they'll find New Earth Batman and Prime Earth Batman, same as our wiki.

@LordTracer came with potential issues, he said:

What would we do with characters labeled as “Pre-Flashpoint” though? I mean when it’s referring to both, like with Richard Dragon. His page covers Earth-One and New Earth since he’s the same character across both continuities.

I thought about a solution, and I have a few

1. Richard Dragon (Earth One and New Earth)
2. Richard Dragon (Pre Prime Earth)
3. Richard Dragon (Earth One)

I'm a fan of the third one. The character is the same between Earth One and New Earth, but originated from Earth One, so he should have it. However, I like the second one too.

Well, your suggested naming procedure will be much harder for our members and visitors to keep track of and understand, and require a massive amount of work to properly update all of the page titles and links to them, so I personally prefer our current naming procedure.

In worst case we could always call it "Pre-Original Crisis" and "Post-Original Crisis", or "Pre-1985 Crisis" and "Post-1985 Crisis", but that would also require a lot of work, and we would need willing volunteers to carry it out.

Well, your suggested naming procedure will be much harder for our members and visitors to keep track of and understand, and require a massive amount of work to properly update all of the page titles and links to them, so I personally prefer our current naming procedure.

In worst case we could always call it "Pre-Original Crisis" and "Post-Original Crisis", or "Pre-1985 Crisis" and "Post-1985 Crisis", but that would also require a lot of work, and we would need willing volunteers to carry it out.
@Eficiente @Qawsedf234 @SuperAPM @Firestorm808 @EmperorRorepmeTwo @LuciferDC099 @Ehnkr2beboh @Deagonx @Elizio33 @MarvelFanatic119 @catzlaflame @Kulf_Boba @LephyrTheRevanchist @Lightning_XXI @Stefano4444 @LuciferX @Vasco @Excel616 @Immortalgodd @JohnCenaNation @Robo @VeryGoofyToddler @LephyrTheRevanchist @ByAsura @DarkDragonMedeus @Maverick_Zero_X

What do you think?

Those sound even worst.

The new suggestions are not only official, but are also what the DC wiki uses, so it shouldn't be that confusing.

I am… 99% in agreement with the OP, and we already do this for at least one character, that being the Golden Age Superman, or Superman (Earth-Two). I also agree to your third suggestion of naming characters who appear in Earth-One and New Earth after the era they originated from.

I only have two slight issues that aren’t really issues, just minor formatting things.
Pre Crisis = Earth One
Should be formatted as “Earth-One” to match Earth-Two.
Superman (Prime Earth - Rebirth)
I feel like this could be left as just Superman (Rebirth)? I’m not like, vehemently opposed to your suggestion, I think it looks a little weird lol

Well, "Post-1985 Crisis" or "Post-1985 Crisis Event" sounds fine in my view and is easy to understand, whereas what the DC Comics wiki uses is intuitively confusing for all casual visitors who have not spent the time memorising it.

your suggested naming procedure will be much harder for our members and visitors to keep track of and understand
I don’t see how that’s the case? These naming conventions are not only official, but they’re what the DC Wiki uses as well. And as M3X mentioned in the OP, searching “Superman (Pre-Crisis)” would just redirect to Superman (Earth-One).

I have watched the visitor statistics for both the VS Battles and DC Comics wiki, and the vast amount of our visitors only visit once every month at best, and they will have no idea what either of our wikis are talking about with Prime Earth and New Earth, for example.

Also, I personally think that Superman Earth-Two should be renamed to "Superman (Original)" or "Superman (Golden Age)".

I have watched the visitor statistics for both the VS Battles and DC Comics wiki, and the vast amount of our visitors only visit once every month at best, and they will have no idea what either of our wikis are talking about with Prime Earth and New Earth, for example.
Hence why searching Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, etc would be left as redirects, as the OP said.
Also, I personally think that Superman Earth-Two should be renamed to "Superman (Original)" or "Superman (Golden Age)".
It was called Superman (Original) at first. The majority agreed to rename it to Superman (Earth-Two).

Neither Original or Golden Age tells you what they’re referring to. Same as Doctor Fate (Classic), no one knows the period it’s referring to.

I don’t like your suggestions that much, I feel like they worse and as vague as “Post Crisis”.

Hence why searching Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, etc would be left as redirects, as the OP said.

It was called Superman (Original) at first. The majority agreed to rename it to Superman (Earth-Two).
Well, I suppose that redirect links can probably work in lack of better options, but what about all of the visitors who will visit single pages directly via Google search and then get confused, especially if we get our Search Engine Optimisation in order?

Well, I suppose that redirect links can probably work in lack of better options, but what about all of the visitors who will visit single pages directly via Google search and then get confused, especially if we get our Search Engine Optimisation in order?
We can add notes stating the period New Earth and Prime Earth os referring to, until they get used to it.

Also add notes to DC verse page.

We can add notes stating the period New Earth and Prime Earth os referring to, until they get used to it.

Well, that would be much preferable, but we still need volunteers to properly handle all of these changes.

It will take time, yes, but it’s better for the profiles.

It’s kinda easy to just copy paste the correct format to the title though.

I was about to say I prefer the original names but in lack of better options, redirects and notes would probably work better. I think the fanbase still needs time to adapt in using those terms is the real issue that really shouldn't be an issue for us.

I was about to say I prefer the original names but in lack of better options, redirects and notes would probably work better. I think the fanbase still needs time to adapt in using those terms is the real issue that really shouldn't be an issue for us.
Hmmm. On second thought this seems to be better.

I don’t see why they’d get confused, it really shouldn’t be that hard to figure out which Superman is which. But if it’s really necessary, we can just list the time period that each era covers.
So, "Superman (New Earth; 1985 to 2011)" then?

How about a combination of both options?

"This page covers the version of Superman after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, who existed from 1985 to 2011, also known as the Post-Crisis Superman."

Agree with the OP. Will make it a lot easier to discern between the characters plus we will have actual official naming schemes for them instead of fan-based ones, after all, accuracy is what we should strive for, and I think the reworks here are definitely worth it. The Crisis-related events should be noted down in the Summary instead for better clarity

Back