• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics: Minor Notability Criteria fix

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
So our current criteria goes like this:
Please refrain from making profiles for characters with less than 20 appearances across comic books (approximately 2 years' worth of appearances) in regards to the Prime Marvel Universe and mainline DC continuity (Golden Age + Pre-Crisis + Post-Crisis + Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth) comics
This doesn't work for DC as worded since for example, this rule validates making page for Pre-Crisis Constantine, with a grand total of 3 appearances before changing to Post-Crisis. So instead what's more beneficial for the verse, is defining appearance limit for individual eras.

As such I'd propose the following minimum issues required:
  • 5 for Golden Age (There just aren't as many comics produced this era, and notions of "Supervillains" needed to be developed)
  • 15 for Pre-Crisis (Representing two years of appearances, this was a substantially long-lasting era)
  • 10 for Post-Crisis (Weirdly smol era)
  • 10 for Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth (Will increase depending on how long it goes on ig)

Last edited:
I disagree with Post-Flashpoint having heavier requirements than Post-Crisis, there's more material per year but from my experience characters of roughly equal importance have way less material in Post-Flashpoint. Not to mention we're literally giving a 11-year long era the same requirements as the entirety of mainline Marvel Comics.

I definitely do agree with overall lowering with the appearance limit split.

I did reduce it by 15 issues actually rn, noting that.

But no I'll stand by Post-Flashpoint having higher appearance requirement, DC is just producing way more titles than it did Post-Crisis, that was the entire pitch of New 52 afterall, and the era is still ongoing so judging it to "11 years only" is short-sighted. Plus PFP has the Ultimate Marvel fast-forward appearances and characters appearing in the background way more, they're immensely more likely to hit 15 in Post-Flashpoint vs. Post-Crisis.

So our current criteria goes like this:

This doesn't work for DC as worded since for example, this rule validates making page for Pre-Crisis Constantine, with a grand total of 3 appearances before changing to Post-Crisis. So instead what's more beneficial for the verse, is defining appearance limit for individual eras.

• 5 for Golden Age (There just aren't as many comics produced this era, and notions of "Supervillains" needed to be developed)
  • 15 for Pre-Crisis (Representing two years of appearances, this was a substantially long-lasting era)
  • 15 for Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth (Far more comics made + Background appearances abundant + two separate eras as one, basically)
There are definitely more post crisis comics than there are post flashpoint, it was going on from 1986 to 2011, while post flashpoint has only been going for 11 years

Post-Flashpoint/Rebirth is also currently the "Ongoing" series which means things are prone to change. Similar to how characters who are relatively new but never fight are restricted to avoid making profiles until further demonstration, we could see characters seem really strong the first few issues until the rest portrays them as very weak or some thing vice versa. Plus, by the time Post-Flashpoint/Rebirth is discontinued, it's possible for it to be lengthier than Post-Crisis.

I agree with this revision though.

I would rather split new 52 and rebirth into two different eras. It was a soft reboot and a full reboot for a huge number of characters. And a lot of important new 52 characters didn't make it because old bozo fans didn't want something new.

Post crisis should be 15, new 52 and rebirth/current era should be 10 or so.

I would rather split new 52 and rebirth into two different eras. It was a soft reboot and a full reboot for a huge number of characters. And a lot of important new 52 characters didn't make it because old bozo fans didn't want something new.

I think this makes the most sense.

i dunno, i think separating them is silly considering we don't make two separate profiles for them.

The problem is, new 52 is still considered different continuity for most characters. Heck, a lot of them didn't make it out in the first place. A lot of its stuff are completely ignored or retconed out of existence to being back the original. I think new 52 needs to have its own criteria, but that would be more or less used for n52 exclusive characters who never made it out, i.e new 52 eradicator, kon, jon, superman, wonder woman and Cassie to a big degree, harvest, oracle, etc, etc

What about a profile for a villain of a run who only appears in person at the end of the run but the characters were fighting their minions for like 15 issues?

Good question, I have seen quite a number of characters who had a major influence on the story but didn't actually appear physically. So, kinda wanna know too.

I'd disagree on making that file regardless, but you can put it to vote if you'd wish.

In a separate thread not clustering mine, that is.

See; the entire New 52 WW series
Agreed

Let's Break Down the Years of each era to see what is an appropriate average.

1938 - 1945 | 07 | Golden Age
1945 - 1986 | 41 | Silver + Bronze Age / Pre-Crisis
1986 - 2011 | 25 | Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint
2011 - _____ | 11 | Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth

I'd say an average of 1 appearance/mention every 1-2 years should suffice for a minimum.

Good question, I have seen quite a number of characters who had a major influence on the story but didn't actually appear physically. So, kinda wanna know too.
Are you saying the killer of Batman's parents which could be 10-B physically, 9-C with gun? Are you saying Superman's wife which is deleted for being a composited profile?

1938 - 1945 | 07 | Golden Age
1945 - 1986 | 41 | Silver + Bronze Age / Pre-Crisis
2011 - _____ | 11 | Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth
20 for pre and post seems fine (separately). I am not opposed to 10 for post flashpoint, 15 is still a bit too much.

Corrected Years

1938 - 1956 | 18 | Golden Age
1956 - 1986 | 30 | Silver + Bronze Age / Pre-Crisis
2011 - _____ | 11 | New 52 + Rebirth / Post-Flashpoint

Last edited:
No
  • 10 for Post-Flashpoint + Rebirth
These ones, your suggested ones are extremely low burden to reach imo

Can we separate rebirth and new 52 pls? There are tons of differences between the two eras, and each day, new 52 basically becomes non existent. I am fine with rebirth having ten, but 52 should be lower.

@Antvasima Can you unlock the page :v
It is probably best to talk about the following issue first.
Can we separate rebirth and new 52 pls? There are tons of differences between the two eras, and each day, new 52 basically becomes non existent. I am fine with rebirth having ten, but 52 should be lower.
I think that 10 appearances is a quite limited qualifier in order to find some measure of consistency for statistics in the first place. Going even lower than that seems unreliable.

Anyway, given that I do not have the time to browse this forum to look for new threads anymore, I would greatly appreciate help from all the staff members here by sending me notifications for important new Marvel or DC Comics revision threads that you discover.

think that 10 appearances is a quite limited qualifier in order to find some measure of consistency for statistics in the first place. Going even lower than that seems unreliable.
I mean new 52 started at the end of 2011 and ended at start of 2016. Had far less time for a lot of stuff. 7 would be ideal.

10 for rebirth itself is fine tho. Rebirth era have been going on since 2016 and will continue to go on for a long time.

Well, we do not absolutely have to feature non-prominent characters from that (horribly destructive and unwisely conceptualised) era, if we cannot find a sufficiently coherent and consistent basis for the statistics.

Anyway, DC Comics sales appear to be in the gutter nowadays, so I am not so sure about the company staying afloat for a long time, especially as their owners were actively cutting down on their expenses even before the recession, and given that DC Comics no longer even has an office of their own.

Back