• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Since we added Nonexistent Physiology and Non-Physical Interaction as abilities, thus making differences between multiple levels of Non-Corporeality, such as being Intangible, being a ghost/disembodied spirit, being a void etcetera, I started questioning myself what type level of Incorporeality "being actually darkness" or "being a literal shadow" would actually count as.

I'm not talking about materialized Darkness, such as in the cases of Meliodas and the Stone Army, but being what darkness is: the absence of light.

There are characters in fiction who are actually Non-Corporeal because they are literal darkness/shadows, or people who can interact and harm with such things, so I wanted to ask what level of Non-Corporeality this would count as.

I would imagine it would be akin to standard intangiblity due to no mass being there.

Affecting such beings should be its own thing tough.

Pretty sure that actual, genuine shadow would be Nonexistent Physiology. A shadow is not just nothing, it's also an active lack of light. A void of light.

Of course, it's only when shadows are actual shadows. A lot of fictions like to treat shadows as actual things that just so happen to be intangible.

Most of the time Darkness Mimicry works just as another elemental intangibility, I wouldn't consider them to be non-corporeal much less nonexistent.

I mean, I don't think that you can actually erase complete darkness from existence, as in reality, darkness isn't actually "something".

You can throw light at it.

But like I said, this only applies to actual, genuine shadows. Not weird fiction shadows.

Yeah, but that's kind of like saying that you can defeat a void by putting something inside of it.

But yes, light in fiction is usually able to harm darkness.

It does depend on the void. Most shadows are really just defined by the absence of light and stops being shadows when lighted up. But most voids actively erase matter.

I've been wondering this as well. Most fiction treats intangibility as the absence of physical presence, which is similar to our physical non-existence.

Also, in some fictions, you can harm other shadows by attacking them with your own.

Yobobojojo said:
I've been wondering this as well. Most fiction treats intangibility as the absence of physical presence, which is similar to our physical non-existence.
We can't just treat anyone with intangiliby as being non-corporeal, intangibility is a sub-power of the last one so non-corporeal beings should have it by default but not the other way around.

And I don't think we should treat datkness manipulation to be assosiated to nonexistance, otherwise it can be considered too void manipulation.

Shadow Manipulation is just removing light. It's too specific to be void manipulation. I'm saying that BEING a shadow could easily be considered nonexistent physiology.

Yes, Darkness Manipulation isn't Void Manipulation, however, being literal Darkness is another thing.

Back