• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

D&D Adventurer WIP Blog Pt. II

Qawsedf234 said:
The Tier 2 keys will be slightly different. Non-Casters only have limited Celric Powers and Wizards/Psions gain Cleric stuff. Tier 1 would be the same for literally everyone tho
Pretty certain we have a quote saying deities can use any arcane ability in existence. I can check once I get back to my old laptop (that one sorta crapped out, need to get it fixed) but I'm about 99.9% certain we had that, and that the statblocks of deities denoted what they typically used.

Do they? I don't think some of the more brute force people like Kord have non-Clerical magic (and special God magic)

Kord is my main character's deity you watch that thar tongue of yours

I'm very certain I had that in my compiled quotes/scans gathered from some thirty threads/respect threads/etc. Not to mention books and gods' damned Dragon Magazine.

Qawsedf234 said:
Do they? I don't think some of the more brute force people like Kord have non-Clerical magic (and special God magic)
In 2nd edition they do, if I remember correctly. Can check real quick.

Do note that Psions will lose their psionics powers if they become a Immortal it seems. Well mostly lose.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Actually my question should be to Qwa since he got the scans.
Here's a comment a wrote before regarding Immortals vs Gods

But basically they're different things. Becoming a God means you can never become an Immortal without some form of reincarnation and vice versa.

So a person can go "Mortal -> Quasi God -> Demigod -> Lesser God -> Intermediate God -> Greater God" or "Mortal -> Immortal -> Old One" but not both.

Gods are the living embodiment of concepts and they range from High 6A to 2A. Immortals are the next evolutionary phase and the Old Ones are above Immortals. So Gods are Tier 2, Immortals/Great Ones are Tier 2/1

Okay if we are splitting classes up. each one would need still the theme powers added to them since in 4e themes are not class restricted.

Well, the tiers stuff is already handled, correct? And the profiles too?

What else is needed now (aside from obviously completing the profile)?

Lifting strength needs some adjustment. Stamina probably needs to be expanded. Like for a Fighter "High as a Human/Halfling. Godly as Dwarfs/Elves" or something

Also in the off chance someone suggests it, I don't think there's any evidence of someone naturally becoming a Overgod. The closest possible one was Vecna but his thing involved massive prep and the Multiverse collapsing as a power catalyst and even then the narration was 50/50 on if it would even work.

Matthew Schroeder said:
https://imgur.com/a/Y57ARcd
@Bambu

Where in this are Old Ones mentioned? This isn't from Mystara, right? So I'm not sure we can have Old One Keys.

However, High 2-A / Low 1-C God keys seem fine.
Wrong stuff.

Gods = Low 2-C to 2-A

Immortals are for Mystara only. They are High 2-A/Low 1-C. However the game makes it clear the point of the Immortals is to ascend to Old One status some day. Ergo, High 1-B.

As for Lifting Strength, yeah, I had Qawsed dig me up the creature size charts for that reason exactly.

But they never reached the leves of Old Ones in Canon much less during Campaigns. And we agreed that they'd just be Low 1-C, likely far higher. So no High 1-B, really.

Firstly, I believe Qawsed is the one who mentioned that two Immortals have managed it. Might be wrong as that was a very very long time ago.

Secondly, "would eventually become" is a thing.

Yeah what Bambu said. Canonically two Immortals have become Old Ones and the Immortals handbook mentions the players themselves can become Old Ones. Its just a massive and incredibly difficult thing to do, but it is completely possible.

"would eventually become" is something I honestly dislike in profiles. Reminds me of the 2-C Zamasu thing because he would "eventually consume the multiverse", and people wanted to give him a 2-C key and put him against other 2-C characters, even though he never reached that level. It's basically a level of power that doesn't exist outside of unfulfilled possibillity.

Possibility stated to be a thing that they can realize by the said High 1-Bs. Also, you having issue with it doesn't mean it is not a thing. The Zamasu thing I can see being false as it implies it'd be over time- this is not the case here.

Regardless, the most knowledgeable guy on OG D&D (Qawsed) just fixed this non-issue. Moving on because I'd rather not do this again.

Matthew Schroeder said:
"would eventually become" is something I honestly dislike in profiles. Reminds me of the 2-C Zamasu thing because he would "eventually consume the multiverse", and people wanted to give him a 2-C key and put him against other 2-C characters, even though he never reached that level. It's basically a level of power that doesn't exist outside of unfulfilled possibillity.
Here'a the full passage with the important parts highlighted

Approximately one Immortal per 10,000 reaches Full Hierarch status. Most of these beings are content in this exalted post. But some very few Hierarchs have become dissatisfied with their fate. They sought even greater power, and wondered about the paradox of the great barrier. Most of these overcame their concerns and curiosity, but a few—perhaps one of each hundred or two— chose to prove their ultimate superiority, on the remote chance that some greater power might be watching. They dispersed their life essences into their Home Planes, and reincarnated themselves as mere mortal humans once again.

Most of these daring individuals perished in the process, for they indeed became mere mortals, with no better chance to survive and achieve Immortality than any other mortal man. Only a handful both desired and reached Immortal status a second time. And of these, only a few reached Hierarch status a second time. And finally, of these few, only two dared once again to seek more. They saw the coming of the blackballs as their punishment and final destruction, and the other Immortals still believe that this is what occurred. But unbeknownst to all, they passed beyond the barrier, and exist now with the Old Ones.

One success could have been chance, but the second arrival proved that the great experiment known as the Multiverse would serve its purpose.
The Old Ones continue to watch and wait for other daring Hierarchs. And someday when they are satisfied, when their unknown goals have been reached someday the Old Ones will return.

Summary

This set does not attempt to fully describe the Old Ones. We cannot even fully describe their servants, the Immortals, nor their vast realm of the Multiverse. And no future volume will provide details on the Old Ones, for their powers transcend the framework of any mere game. To reduce them to game terms would trivialize their power, which is of an order far greater than the Immortals'.

The Old Ones are prepared to wait indefinitely, for Time has no hold over them. If any player character succeeds in the great journey, not merely achieving Hierarch status but proving his or her superiority by doing it twice—well, no higher goal can be attained, and no reward is too great. The player wins and his character vanishes. And that is the final end of this game.

So while impossibly hard and rare, it's an achievable form any player can get to.

Qawsedf234 said:
Also in the off chance someone suggests it, I don't think there's any evidence of someone naturally becoming a Overgod. The closest possible one was Vecna but his thing involved massive prep and the Multiverse collapsing as a power catalyst and even then the narration was 50/50 on if it would even work.
Didn't even notice it, but nah, trust me I looked. There's nothing I could find anywhere about becoming an Overgod or, for that matter, an Ancient Bretheren (the group that The Serpent and Lady supposedly belong to).

@Qawsed Whenever you can, wouldn't mind a scan of that text about the Old Ones creating the multiverse just for the profile. Working on a default setup for Adventurer pages.

Just gonna post something else.

1. Note that this "Composite Individual Class" stuff is still hugely inaccurate. As in it doesn't make sense and only serves to make individual classes- something that ignores the Cross-Class rules of every edition rather than two of the three completed editions.

2. Species? For CA it was simple- they were somehow every species. Do we assume that here? This doesn't actually amount to much aside from various lesser advantages AFAIK since I don't recall any particular species being too broken (Elves don't sleep and have night vision, Humans get f e a t s, dwarves are good with stone, etc). Still worthy of note.

Okay I know this is likely going to be a no. But would the hybrid barbarian/sorcerer be able to get a page? Since it appears to be the only hybrid combo from 4e that has it's own unique paragon path .

Exactly right, thank you Qawsed.

So for reference how are we treating psionics? It being comparable to magic or it being its own thing.

As far as I understand it, pretty much everything in the verse is "magical" to some extent- however, if you mean the same sort of breed of magic as, say, wizards or clerics, no, I believe it is different.

Nah like, as an example. In 2e there was very little overlap in regards to how they interact. Like a magical spell to block mental spells wouldn't work on a psionics attempt. While 3e (and I think 4e) had it be "Different but similar enough that the powers can work on each other".

why couldn't they just be nice and consistent why does D&D have to be like this

I'm gonna say it seems more reasonable to say they are likely different based on that.

So wanna iron out some of the Elder Evil stuff here or save it for later?

We can work it out here, might as well.

Back