• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

D&D 2024 is released! Time to talk about it

Quibster

She/Her
Gencon is currently ongoing and with it came up to 3k distributed copies of the new Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Player's Handbook.

Note that the imposed press embargo has been lifted as of the 1st of August. Material can be uploaded/discussed here without worry.

Anyways, what are your general thoughts on the changes? Do you like the changes to the rules? What are your thoughts on some of the class adjustments? Discuss.

Edit: The general "changelog" of the rules can be viewed here: https://rpgbot.net/2024-dnd-5e-tran...-thats-different-in-the-new-players-handbook/

Last edited:
hPOVM3W.jpeg

Clerics actually becoming cooler and having more uses for Channel Divinity is neat. The Thaumaturge option actually allowing clerics to make Arcana/Religion useful without spec'ing into Intelligence is also something I've long had a gripe over. Divine Intervention being reworked from a "may I please, GM?" to a "you just do this now" is also really good. It'll be interesting to see how well the synergy is with Legacy subclasses with the updated Cleric.

d'you know, in the Matrix, when they talk about how human civilization peaked in 1999, and that's why they modeled the Matrix after that timeframe instead of some future date, because the humans just wouldn't be pleased with all the new 'developments' that come along and ultimately end up destroying themselves as a result of that? So they just... leave them in approximately 1999.

They were off by a year. D&D 3e released in 2000, and that was when civilization reached its peak. All downhill from there, easily tracked and judged by the release of new D&D content that continues to make less sense.

@Drite77 @PsychoWarper Dunno if y'all wanna talk about your opinions with the broader class or not, but this thread exists.

Gencon is currently ongoing and with it came up to 3k distributed copies of the new Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Player's Handbook.

Note that the imposed press embargo has been lifted as of the 1st of August. Material can be uploaded/discussed here without worry.

Anyways, what are your general thoughts on the changes? Do you like the changes to the rules? What are your thoughts on some of the class adjustments? Discuss.

Edit: The general "changelog" of the rules can be viewed here: https://rpgbot.net/2024-dnd-5e-tran...-thats-different-in-the-new-players-handbook/
Will there be a new monsters manual?

I do not want to buy another book for $59.99 dollars. I do like that there's more options for martials though, and I hope that Tier 3 and 4 adventurers and progression are better.

Can I buy it online?
I believe you can preorder on D&D's website. Early copies of the new PHB were distributed at Gencon on August 1st

The new PHB releases on September 17, followed by the Dungeon Master's Guide on November* the 12th, and the Monster Manual in February 2025 (for... some reason?)

Can I buy it online?
DnDbeyond has it, your local gamestores may have also gotten them so if they have sites

I do not want to buy another book for $59.99 dollars. I do like that there's more options for martials though, and I hope that Tier 3 and 4 adventurers and progression are better.
My local store is selling them for like $40. Not sure if that's just them but hey, maybe it's cheaper some other places

WoTC really JUST doesn't want to detract from the brand identity 5e has. People are already calling this Revised/Remastered 5th Edition, with 2014 5e being called Legacy. Also WoTC is still calling it 5e. So, what is this just 5.5e now? Or are they actually going the PF2eR route because "trend cool and brand must be trendy"?

My local store is selling them for like $40. Not sure if that's just them but hey, maybe it's cheaper some other places
Hopefully. I am sacrificing twenty pure-blooded humans as offerings to WoTC so I don't have to pay anything over $49.99 dollars.

WoTC really JUST doesn't want to detract from the brand identity 5e has. People are already calling this Revised/Remastered 5th Edition, with 2014 5e being called Legacy. Also WoTC is still calling it 5e. So, what is this just 5.5e now? Or are they actually going the PF2eR route because "trend cool and brand must be trendy"?
They were eventually going to look back at 2014 5e and try to fix some problems. It feels to me like it's 5e + DLC content.

Back