• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Feel free to add it then. Tell us here when you are done.
I think that Matthew applied this earlier, but forgot to mention it.

Is there anything left to do here then, and if so, what?
I was wondering, is the user Ultima_Reality planning a Cthulhu Mythos Revisions Part 2? Maybe he could include some of the points mentioned here as well.
I do not know. Sorry.

Should Azathoth's intelligence section be re-classified as "unknown" as well? He is basically described the exact same ways as the rest of the Ultimate Gods, so it might need a rewrite. Also an additional question - how "literal" should the descriptions of these beings be taken (especially "mindless")?

Last edited:
Here is more of my incessant ranting.

Some points to consider with Azathoth intelligence section:

• Described in the same manor as the rest of the Other Gods, "blind, mindless"
  • "...spiral black vortices of that ultimate void of Chaos wherein reigns the mindless daemon-sultan Azathoth" The strange conjunction of his idiocy/mindlessness and him "ruling all time and space" seems almost paradoxical or contradictory. I don't know if this is intentional or just an oversight, but it reminds me of "....are eager to work the will of those blind and mindless things in return for the favour of their hideous soul and messenger, the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep." which is similarly strange with them having a will despite their descriptions
  • Azathoth is a name that "mercifully cloaks" a "monstrous nuclear chaos" as we learn in The Whisperer in Darkness. Therefore, most of what the narrators say about it is merely a signifier for something unsignifiable
  • Azathoth supposedly mutters his dreams (dreams he can't understand). I think this is not necessarily due to a lack of cognition from Azathoth himself, but the dreams are totally incomprehensible and chaotic in of themselves - a poetic way of describing an emergence of pure, nonsensical chaotic energy/force/reality-substance that holds within itself completely new and untranslated laws of existence to be then aimlessly piped to create and define new universes

* Just how "mindless" is Azathoth (and the Other Gods) supposed to be? And what context should the word be taken?
- We know the Other Gods are "blind, mindless" and "possessed of singular (strange/unusual) hungers and thirsts"
- In terms of characterization of these entities, common descriptions (when characters like Randolph Carter or Walter Gilman come close to these outer voids) include "hideous laughter/cackling/tittering", "screaming", "gnawing/ravenous/hungrily" as well as the "gibbering/muttering" of Azathoth himself
  • Get angry at those trying to contact Dreamlands gods
  • Carter falls through "endless voids" of "sentient blackness"
  • "Mindless" could be possibly interpreted in these ways in regards to the entities
1) Possessing no powers of comprehension of any sort, basically an amoeba or virus (I think this is unlikely due to their characterizations)
2) Possessing no sense of reason/rationality and driven by alien instincts. Perhaps in "Freudian" terms, they don't possess "ego/super-ego" (the rationality/decision-making/sense-of-self) and are purely "id-driven" (id being the instincts, desires that stem from the unconscious). That being said, the "id" of the Other Gods is completely alien in of itself (singular/strange hungers and thirsts). David Punter, a professor of Gothic studies, says this in "The Literature of Terror: Volume 2: the Modern Gothic: "...human life must be bounded by convention and by the rigid schemes of social classification, a view which Lovecraft bore out in his person; only conventions and classes protect us from the mindless and destructive pleasure of the instincts - which are, surely, the blind "gargoyles" of which he speaks."
3) Don't possess a "mind" humans can understand, therefore "mindless" by our perspective (Nyarlathotep himself refers to them as mindless in Dream-Quest, though he may be dumbing-it-down for a human like Randolph Carter).
4) Mad or insane (they do dance insanely as the poem puts it, and Nyarlathotep is mentioned as a "Mad faceless god howling blindly" in Rats in the Walls, and another quote from a correspondence seems to add weight to this: "Humour is but the faint terrestrial echo of the hideous laughter of the blind mad gods that squat leeringly and sardonically in caverns beyond the Milky Way. It is a hollow thing, sweet on the outside, but filled with the pathos of fruitless aspiration". It seems Lovecraft's common usage of "idiot" in relation to these entities could also be a synonym for this.

I think points 2, 3 and 4 are the most likely due to evidence, and point 1 is the most unlikely, which is ironic as this is how they might be perceived by many people.

Concluding thoughts:
The Other Gods and Azathoth
  • characterized as ravenous, screaming, cackling/laughing
  • explicitly stated to have a will (despite seemingly contrary descriptions)
  • get angry at those who defy them (Barzai the Wise, lava on Ngranek, setting their "seal")
  • the fact they even have a "soul and messenger" which further proves they have desires and wills

Now you know the extent of my OCD

So what do you think should be written in their intelligence sections more specifically?

Maybe

"Unknown. Exists in a realm of ultimate Chaos beyond dimensioned space and mathematics, and is described in the same manor as the Ultimate Gods - being perceived as idiotic, blind, ravenous and muttering the chaotic contents of his dreams; although is ultimately inscrutable."

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems fine to ne. I made a few minor adjustments to your wording though.

I think that the suggested intelligence section changes can be applied. Can somebody link to the pages that I need to unlock please?

I have unlocked the page. Tell me here when you are done with editing it.

Thank you. I will lock the wiki page in question again then.

Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

They need to be replaced by completely unknown.

And Randolph Carter's profile has yet to be revised

@Matthew_Schroeder

Please elaborate regarding exactly what you intend to do in each case.

I wonder how a High-1A character is able to touch a Tier-0 character.

Out in the mindless void the daemon bore me,
Past the bright clusters of dimensioned space,
Till neither time nor matter stretched before me,
But only Chaos, without form or place.
Here the vast Lord of All in darkness muttered
Things he had dreamed but could not understand,
While near him shapeless bat-things flopped and fluttered
In idiot vortices that ray-streams fanned.

They danced insanely to the high, thin whining
Of a cracked flute clutched in a monstrous paw,
Whence flow the aimless waves whose chance combining
Gives each frail cosmos its eternal law.
"I am His Messenger," the daemon said,
As in contempt he struck his Master's head.
- Fungi from Yuggoth XXII. Azathoth

Hi.

Hunting Horrors are not High 1-A. BUT they also don't scale to The Night Gaunts either it would seem so they are completely unknown.

Randalph Carter's profile is completely outdated and has never ever been revised.

Okay, thank you for the reply. So what changes need to be done to Carter's page, and why, more specifically?

Looking deeper into philosophical concepts related to Yog-Sothothery, Schopenhauer's Will seems similar in concepts with Azathoth. I wonder if that influenced Lovecraft at all? Azathoth seems to me a conglomeration of various ideas, including Mana-Yood-Sushai, aforementioned Schopenhauer's will and Mythological Greek Chaos.

That thread does not relate to what I said at all. Mind elaborating on the specifics?

Also first line is just kek.
I really appreciate it bro, thank you so much. Going to finish this problem and take a break, was getting very frustrated and it's just stonewalling me.

Looking deeper into philosophical concepts related to Yog-Sothothery, Schopenhauer's Will seems similar in concepts with Azathoth. I wonder if that influenced Lovecraft at all? Azathoth seems to me a conglomeration of various ideas, including Mana-Yood-Sushai, aforementioned Schopenhauer's will and Mythological Greek Chaos.
the dreaming part is from some version of hindusim where everything is vishnu dream

Please elaborate regarding exactly what you intend to do in each case.
Hi.

Hunting Horrors are not High 1-A. BUT they also don't scale to The Night Gaunts either it would seem so they are completely unknown.

Randalph Carter's profile is completely outdated and has never ever been revised.
Okay, thank you for the reply. So what changes need to be done to Carter's page, and why, more specifically?
@Matthew_Schroeder

I think that you can update the Hunting Horrors, but please elaborate regarding Carter.

@Ultima_Reality @Event_Horizon

Your help would also be appreciated here.

Quote, please
The archetypes, throbbed the waves, are the people of the ultimate abyss—formless, ineffable, and guessed at only by rare dreamers on the low-dimensioned worlds. Chief among such was this informing BEING itself . . . which indeed was Carter’s own archetype. The glutless zeal of Carter and all his forbears for forbidden cosmic secrets was a natural result of derivation from the SUPREME ARCHETYPE. On every world all great wizards, all great thinkers, all great artists, are facets of IT.

I don't think the ultimate void and ultimate chaos are the same thing btw.

I will probably make my own thread about that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back