• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that I am trying to stay as level-headed as possible but am in an extremely bad mood. I'm tired of repeating myself like a broken record and am on the verse of closing this because it's being degraded into irrelevant nonsense.

So Tekken Akuma and Cyber Akuma are allowed profiles since they both have story explenations for being their and are different enough from the original Akuma while Asura's Wrath Akuma shouldn't have a profile because he's got no explanation for existing in the world at all

Genericstickman said:
So Tekken Akuma and Cyber Akuma are allowed profiles since they both have story explenations for being their and are different enough from the original Akuma while Asura's Wrath Akuma shouldn't have a profile because he's got no explanation for existing in the world at all
Yeah, Tekken Akuma is canon to Tekken and Cyber Akuma is an original character

[Tekken Akuma is hard AF to beat on max difficulty]

Anyway, all that needs to be discussed now is which profiles stay and which ones leave, right?

YungManzi said:
Difference being. Jason has a story, Noctis doesn't.
Is he in canon to MKX? Or is he just a guest character? The answer is guest character, now can we please move on from this and just get on with talking about the rules?

LightinAnt said:
Jason and Noctis aren't crossover characters, they are guest characters. A crossover character would be Mario (Smash), Hyde (BBTag), Ryu (MVC)
Indeed, characters like Mario (Smash Bros) indeed should no be classify as non-cannon guest Characters since he reference in the main story and I believe has been part of the story multiple time. There is Thor (Marcel vs Capcom), as well, who follows this Mario's mash bros case. I conceid that I may be incorrect about Jason's case though.

Stop confusing people.

Yes, Jason and Noctis are guest characters but so is Geralt. Difference is Geralt is canon.

@Glass

I didn't say he wasn't a guest character, or that he was canon to the MKX main story. Jason has his own story in a timeline seperate from the main timeline story.

I was merely stating a truth, since I've played through both games.

So would some profiles with Smash keys have the key removed? Mr. Game and Watch should probably keep it since he's important to the plot

People were considered adults at the age of 13 in some generations, and that's the usual age people are often expected to act like adults. Being a child at heart is a good thing, but when 13 and over, you're expected to have adult minds.

I'm pretty sure Andy was just joking. Since we joke around a lot.

Anyway I agree with Manzi, MKX Jason can stay. Literally no different than SCVI Geralt.

Sera, me disagreeing with you doesn't make me an idiot who can't read, and you using "canon" to define canon in the same sentence doesn't make you any more clear and easy to understand. My problem is, we're deliberately omitting guest characters when their importance to the story, if one even exists, has little to do with the things they demonstrate in their appearance in said content, and the scaling that would come from that. If you want to make the argument that they have to have a story to have feats to use them in things like fighting games, then I can see your basic problem, but putting a "varies" and listing the top tiers to the bottom tiers, or just scaling them to a mid tier is better than omitting them.

My problem is, we're deliberately omitting guest characters when their importance to the story, if one even exists, has little to do with the things they demonstrate in their appearance in said content, and the scaling that would come from that.

Importance to the story does matter because then it becomes canon. How many times must this be repeated?

There's plenty of ways to analyze content that is fictional that lacks a central plot, though it depend on the work. A fighting game with absolutely no story can still have feats, even with no special move cutscenes or anything like that. Do we just not have profiles for characters that exist without a connection to the main plot? Hell, I'm of the opinion that the scaling philosophy for fighting games is a case by case thing where the only way to do it is just figure it out as it is.

Having "canon" as in being a part of a franchise shouldn't be relevant, and having a "canon" as in a continuity is also not 100% necessary, because you can look at it from what they demonstrate in the content no matter what.

How many times do I have to demonstrate that something being "canon"— by the way, which one are you using, because you seem to agree with two different definitions of canon and I can't ******* tell which way you're referring to it. Either way, what you said isn't 100% necessary. It might not be the best situation to be in, but it's SOMETHING, which is more important than not documenting anything.

I don't need to have a JRPG super boss be canon to know that they're comparable to the protagonist, to use context from that to determine that maybe they're comparable in power to the final boss, even if they don't exist in the real story.

Canon is not relevant? Are you kidding me?? Have you always had this mindset? It's the first I'm seeing you claim such nonsense.

So, I can make a fanfic about Naruto killing TOAA and by your logic we should analyze and acknowledge all non canon nonsense, even fanon since the only thing separating fan fiction from canon is that one is official and other is self-made fantasy.

So yeah, according to you we can have Tier 0 Naruto.

So "canonicity" whatever you think that means, doesn't matter as much as you feel it does. They don't have to be a part of the main story or A story to have a profile logically speaking, as scaling doesn't solely require narrative.

You seem to flip flop between "canon" as in a part of a franchise, and "canon" as in part of a continuity. And just because everyone else is saying something doesn't make it true— you keep calling me a ******* child when you're old enough and SMART enough to understand that group appeals are bullshit.

You know what **** it, let's just move on and get this shit done. Getting sick and tired of arguing this nonsense at this point.

Non-canon is relative to whichever part of a franchise you're talking about, A. GT isn't canon to the main Continuity of Dragon Ball, but it's canon to itself and "the franchise as a whole" apparently. Non-canon material being relevant only to itself doesn't do anything harmful at all either, making the first paragraphs ending sentence arbitrary beyond banning multiple copies of the same character, which can be remedied by having blogs or pages listing a small amount of information relevant to the context.

It's the same damn thing. To most people, when they say "canon" they mean "continuity". So I use them interchangeably as to not confuse people. Somehow you still got confused. No one else did.

Also quit acting like that one reply about acting like adults was directed only at you, that was towards everyone if you hadn't realized.

Theglassman12 said:
You know what **** it, let's just move on and get this shit done. Getting sick and tired of arguing this nonsense at this point.
I don't think you had to go this far; I can understand the sentinment though, I believe your frustation could have been worded better. In any case, this cannon discussion is derailing. It aslo cover by this page and rule below:

• Editing Rules
    • The VS Battles Wiki is, first and foremost, a fictional character indexing site. All featured characters in our profiles should originate within actual stories, from notable or popular works. A story includes a plot, a fictional setting, and having a defined canon. At the very least, the setting should be entirely fictional in nature, with no true bearing over the real world.
  • Cano

I literally just explained that we can use whatever actions the character takes within their story to scale them.

But, i'll Just make a different thread then, if y'all think it's "derailing" even though i'm Trying to provide a solution to the topic.

The problem is you are being overly argumentative, especially towards someone who literally has been patient despite not being in a good mood. Also VBSW's canonicity standards have always existed and yes she's right that most people confuse canon for canonicity due to them being interchangeable and related concepts.

She could've easily told you to drop it and never bring it up again like some other staff do, but she didn't.

>Talk about the relevance of canon is derailing >Everyone's saying that only canon characters to the content can have profiles.

How am I off topic when we're talking about the importance of canon to whether or not a character can't get a profile...?

>Canon is irrelevant.

"The VS Battles Wiki is, first and foremost, a fictional character indexing site. All featured characters in our profiles should originate within actual stories, from notable or popular works. A story includes a plot, a fictional setting, and having a defined cano. At the very least, the setting should be entirely fictional in nature, with no true bearing over the real world."

Crossovers and guest appearances are not part of the defined canon. How do I know that? They are not in continuity. If they are, they are canon, and can have files. Simple.

Not the most helpful statement

Even if Andy was joking, this statement is inherently confusing.

I understand the distinction, but who the **** uses the word "canon" to talk about "franchises".

And plz do not try to tell me how to react to your words when YOU were the one who said them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back