• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruh...that's one mistake. We all make them. Across two threads she has made it clear that she defines canon the literature way, "continuity is what makes something canon". Context clues in all her other replies if you read them. Yes that includes replies from the first thread.

Notice how it says "At the very least the setting should be entirely fictional"?

Implying that there's room for nuance if there's a bar lower than what a story is defined as.

What of fighting games that have feats but no stories? How can there be canon without narrative, and how is that relevant to whether or not a character can perform feats or not?

Having no story and destructive cinematics means you basically have nothing to scale from or actual feats. What's the point of creating a generic MVC2 profile for Blackheart if he can't scale from anything?

Don't misunderstand. "Setting should be entirely fictional" refers to the setting not having any ties to real life. It still directly says it needs to have a defined canon.

Pritti, how am I responsible for understanding someone who cannot or failed to articulate themselves. It might be my failure to properly explain my position as to why you or whoever might disagree.

Regardless, I disagree with the idea that there needs to be continuity to have a character with feats exist. And if they have feats and can be analyzed, nothing should stop them outside of extreme circumstances from being documented.

I'm sorry Amexim but following your example would lead to even things like outliers and hyperboles being usable for characters on vs threads. If canon means nothing, there is no precedent and discussion will be illogical and overrun with things that aren't compatible with each other. The wiki would thus be flooded in incoherent nonsense and lose all credibility.

Someone give this girl an award. The most reasonable explanation I've heard yet.

The point of having a generic profile for blackheart is having a profile with information on Blackheart. Information for informations sake. And you can scale it via fights. For example, the fact that characters in my fighting games are able to knock what should at least be a full grown human male 50 feet away with a single kick is a feat. You have to be creative in situations like this.

Pritti, how am I responsible for understanding someone who cannot or failed to articulate themselves

She apologized and clarified what she meant. You could've gotten her to do that earlier if you actually pointed out where she made that mistake instead of just saying "you made a mistake".

You completely misinterpret me. What I mean is, a character doesn't have to have a continuity or be a part of a story to have feats. I never said throw consistency or what makes sense within the context of the story. I explicitly mean that Noctis, for example, doesn't have to be a part of the story of Tekken to have his existence as a character and abilities associated with his appearance being documented.

Non canon feats shouldn't be documented just because they're feats. Those are the same as outliers.

I neither meant to imply nor directly stated that canon in terms of analysis of a story as it relates to consistency within powerscaling a verse means nothing.

Canon is important to respect where it exists. But we don't need to to be present in order for us to calculate a feat or determine how strong the character is.

Alright Pritti, fine. I'm tired and exhausted anyway. Sorry Ant, thought I could wrap this up. Guess not...

>Outliers should be documented.

I don't mean to sound rude but... Have you taken leave of your senses?

Boy, I know Ant unfollowed the thread and all but if he comes back and see the stuff being proposed here he's gonna flip...

Can we get other staff here please? This needs to be addressed in full so we can move on.

I was gonna let go, but you want to continue now, so...

Non-canon and outliers should be documented in some way. Doesn't have to be in a profile, but some one would have use for that information, including learning why it's an outlier. Some people might allow non-canon info that doesn't seem too heavily implausible to use, some people might just like to have the info.

I mean I would try and help normally, but I barely know any verses like this (literally just smash, and that was resolved on its own long ago) and if I'm gonna be studying shit I'm gonna study my actual school stuff because I have important tests next week. I guess I can try and see what I can do if absolutely nobody else is available to eval, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Amexi, I understand the passion for the discussion but this discussion is not about Cano but for Crossover. It is a entirely different can of worms. Discussions regarding it l further would be derailments and we have a Discussion Rules against derailment.

If you want to discuss the topic properly for proposed changes, you make another Content Revision Thread for the discussion. As Drago said, we should focus on the Opening statement for a conclusion.

Amexim said:
I was gonna let go, but you want to continue now, so...
Non-canon and outliers should be documented in some way. Doesn't have to be in a profile, but some one would have use for that information, including learning why it's an outlier. Some people might allow non-canon info that doesn't seem too heavily implausible to use, some people might just like to have the info.
Why would we index information that is not going to be used in any way?

Outliers and non-canon things are both going to be ignored when evaluating statistics for characters so what is the point in wasting the time and effort of users and space on pages.

If it wouldn't be on the profiles what exactly are you advocating for? Some sort of outlier collection blog?

And I wasn't trying to insult Sera at first with the "failure to articulate herself" thing, I was just stating a fact. She failed to communicate what she intended, just as I apparently have been with my "canonicity" statement.

I don't think just deciding on the OP's words would solve this or any problem either, so I find it rather weird that the very foundation of the ideas the OP present aren't a valid topic of discussion. That being if canon is an important metric to use.

The info would be used. By tons of people. Otherwise we wouldn't be having to talk about whether or not to use it. I'm definitely interested in using 2B using SC scaling if it's higher than her original tiering to have a fight against someone stronger.

That way, no one can ask for this shit again. Literally just want it to be there Incase someone wants to use it. I want to bet that no one uses Storm 4 Kaguya in VSB because no one KNOWS ABOUT her.

So what you want is literally what this thread was created to prevent and get rid of

Identical versions of characters but with higher tiers

I want a resource that documents these existing pieces of information, brief or not. They should be documented, if not as exact profiles, then as notes or something.

You all...DROP IT...good lord...You are all choosing to go on and on. Someone says something, you don't have to reply. Any continuation will be deleted, understood? Good.

Either way, I'm making the CRT now. Again, I wouldn't think this is derailing because my solution is literally going against the ideas presented here in a way that solves the problem whilst successfully documenting characters like we're supposed to but ok...?

Again this:

Profiles for crossover versions of characters from crossover games, and plot-irrelevant guest characters should NOT be allowed.

Examples: Mario (Smash Bros.), Thor (Marvel vs. Capcom),

Mario (Smash Bros.) and Thor (Marvel vs. Capcom) are part of the main story and would be in:

• Profiles for characters that appear in the main story of non-crossover games should be allowed.

@FW

Tell me about it. Three years ago an actual staff member suggested we remove any files that don't have calculations for their feats.

Ok now that we FINALLY got this done. I'll close this thread in a bit. Someone else either content mod or admin can get the rules into the page to clear this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back