• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Credits sections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
If one does find themselves needing to copy/paste a section, you should credit the place where you got it from. Most content on wikis (including ours) is under a license where you're allowed to copy it as long as you give credit.
Credit texts at the bottom of such pages seems like a reasonable solution, yes.
So basically "Credits to" followed by a link to the wiki?
I think so, yes, but we should probably make some sort of official decision regarding where exactly that the ==Credits== sections should be placed in our character profile pages.

Yeah, it will be better if we have precise instructions on how to do it
Specific, consistently placed, credits sections seem like much better consistent organisation to me, as we do not move them around depending on which section of a page that was copied from elsewhere. It could simply be specified exactly which part of each page that came from where within these sections.
About the copy pasting credits stuff, that profile is an example of what we could do at least to a degree: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Aqualad_(Young_Justice)
I still prefer a specific credits section near the bottom of pages with plagiarised content, which specifies what exactly that was copied and links to the relevant articles.
@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @Ultima_Reality @DarkDragonMedeus @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Damage3245

Your input would be very appreciated regarding this topic.

That is obviously much preferable, but sometimes there are useful powers and abilities lists in other verse-specific wikis that seem unnecessary to drastically overhaul, for example, so I think that creating a framework for how to properly do so, while still making clear that it is definitely not a preferable solution, seems like a good idea.

Honestly, rules regarding plagiarism should only apply to things like summaries; those obviously should be paraphrased rather than copy/pasted. Same with descriptions next to statistics ratings or powers and abilities. But things like having much of the same bullet point lists that are still ordered the same such as superhuman characters listed first, other powers listed next and resistances listed last isn't really something that needs to be drastically changed. Just that the summarized descriptions should be paraphrased rather than copy/paste.

The times I've seen this relevant before are for summaries, and lists & descriptions in the notable attacks & techniques section.

As before, I would prefer to just give credits in those sections themselves (bottom of summaries, top of NA&T sections), but I would be able to accept a standalone Credits section.

If we are to allow people to copy paste segments, I agree it ought to be credited. A standalone credit section at the bottom of the page would be acceptable, though I'd like to note that I also approve of the note at the top of the summary saying something along the lines of "This summary/portions of this page/whatever were copied from the X Y or Z Wiki." Maybe direct them to the credits section with that line, too, so we'd add: "Proper citation can be found at the bottom of this page." I think we should do what we can to point people to the origin of the information.

The problem is that placing credits at the end of a list of powers and abilities would not fit very well into our page structures, so I much prefer a standardised format.

However, we need to make very clear that plagiarism is still highly frowned upon and should only be used very rarely in lack of better options.

The only time credits should be involved on one of our wiki pages is if we're crediting an artist for the images.

I agree with Damage
I don't think we should be ripping off wikis directly in any section to begin with
There's a difference between similar explanations and copying word for word stuff, the former is not hard to do considering we have a fairly different format from most wikis as is

I agree with Damage
I don't think we should be ripping off wikis directly in any section to begin with
There's a difference between similar explanations and copying word for word stuff, the former is not hard to do considering we have a fairly different format from most wikis as is
You copied the summary for this verse page verbatim from another wiki. You should be able to recognize the usefulness in letting people do that.

Well, if the rest of our staff believe in a zero tolerance policy, rather than making occasional exceptions and giving credits in such cases, I obviously cannot force the issue.

I don't mind if other battle boarding wikis have much of the same power and stats format as our wiki or their Power and Abilities section has the same ordering for each power and ability, my only concern is if the summaries use different language flow as well as the description for the powers abilities, each statistics description, and the notable techniques section. It's basically the same way for when this wiki does with other wikis is how I feel.

I am in agreement with most everyone else here.

Honestly, this just reminds me that I have several plagiarized Summaries on profiles, mostly involving Lilo & Stitch and SCP. Something which I seek to remedy shortly.

I agree with Damage
Same.

Well, if the rest of our staff believe in a zero tolerance policy, rather than making occasional exceptions and giving credits in such cases, I obviously cannot force the issue.
I don't like a zero tolerance policy. As long as it doesn't cause problems with other wikis (which I'd like to think a credit section would mitigate), I think it is fine. Again. Credit section near the bottom of the page, maybe a line in the Summary explaining what was taken, that's good enough. We ought to make it easier, not harder, to contribute to the wiki. Plus, if someone wishes to 'remedy' such pages in the future, they are free to do so.

I tend to credit stuff like this:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/America_Chavez_(Marvel_Comics)#Summary

Or like in the notes section here:

Reason for this to me personally is like, sometimes the summary on other sources is just, objectively better written then mine, so I don't believe in compromising my own pages this way, or in the latter's case I just find it immensely hassling to get gifs on my own, so if I can get them quick from a source I will use them :v

I know Reppuzan left the wiki years ago, but I still more or less agree with the lot of things he had when people got lazy with credits and what not. Summaries aren't really that hard to paraphrase, but there are issues with what people did all over the Notable Techniques or Standard Equipment sections.

There are a lot of issues where instead of collecting a bullet point list on our profile, people simply added a link to a wiki page. And I also agree it's especially annoying for various video game characters given that game mechanic statements such as "Increase maximum HP by 25%" or "Boosts Attack and Defense by 50 points" come off as things that translate poorly when it comes to the stats of characters on the wiki. When people should be saying "It's an endurance buff" or "It's a strength and durability boost" respectively. As with "Attacking X times in a single turn" should be worded as a speed buff. It's stuff like that in which paraphrasing becomes better than simply linking to other wikis in the long run. And people complain if they have to open up many profiles just to find the calculation in which a scaling chain originates, which making people have to open up some random offsite wikis may give some people the same issues.

My current view is that our rules should state that credits to the original artists should be given within the image file pages in our wiki, not in the header image sections in our regular character profile pages, for example.

Does this need bumping? The last posts on it were from over a year ago.

Well, it wouldn't hurt if we get some proper official regulations regarding this topic, if we do not have them already.

My current view is that our rules should state that credits to the original artists should be given within the image file pages in our wiki, not in the header image sections in our regular character profile pages, for example.
I think that this would be a rather simple and useful change to make to our Editing Rules page though.

I think that this would be a rather simple and useful change to make to our Editing Rules page though.
If that's all, then yeah, I think a line for that is fine.
@ImmortalDread @Just_a_Random_Butler

Are you willing to handle it please?

Okay. Thank you for the information. 🙏

Just to verify, our current standard is to add credit texts and templates to our image file pages, not the regular wiki pages that use the images, correct?

Yap, in the image description:
  1. Adding the credit in the summary or description section if you are uploading the art to this wiki. This helps to provide context and attribution for the artwork, and makes it easier for other users to find and credit the artist if they wish to use the art as well. Also provide a link to their website or profile on DeviantArt, Tumblr, etcetera.

Yes, but it looks very out of place.

We probably need to start a new staff thread regarding whether or not we should remove it though, and after we have applied our new infobox project, it will likely be easier to add artist credits in a less intrusive manner.

I suppose, it is a great approach, yes. Altho, this thread can be closed? I mean the second option is already there and most of the staff member already rejected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back