• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Composite Profiles

SomebodyData

El SiD
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
Recently, it was pointed out that we sometimes add theoretical composite matches to non-composite profiles, some going as far as to have weirdly specific composite ones (Like everything from all tabs except this one particular tab). In the process, it also makes composite profiles and tabs redundant.

Is there any reason we do this, or are the threads added simply not supposed to be added, but were added anyways?

Also should this thread be highlighted, if not, I'll remove the highlight.

My apologies, but I do not quite understand the question. Then again, versus threads are not my area.

To boil it down, some profiles accept vs threads involving their hypothetical composites, which as far I knew, shouldn't be allowed.

@Ant Basically some threads use characters that have multiple keys, and in those threads the characters are allowed powers from multiple keys but not all of them. For example, Kirito having access to all of his powers and equipment from his SAO (Aincrad) and ALO (Fairy Dance & New Aincrad)/GGO (Phantom Bullet) keys but not his Project Alicization key for sake of balance and giving Kirito more options in a fight as opposed to limiting him to a single key.

I believe there were Reimu matches that did this as well, considering her second key is haxless.

I have noticed this as well, and personally, I find it something that should probably be more strictly enforced. As SD so plainly put it, this makes both composite profiles and keys redundant in versus debates, not to mention being extremely confusing to the debating parties.

@SD & Weekly

Okay. I agree that this seems inappropriate.

afaik composite profiles and keys mostly apply to full composite (all versions from same author or setting) and trans-composite (all versions from all authors and settings). We have no policy in regards to canon composites (having everything from the same continuity).

they should all be fine to add but not like what they did with Kirito which is not compositing that is cherry picking

As long as the composites aren't contradictory I'm fine with it. Having equipment from some keys but not others is fine, having the abilities of two mutually exclusive forms at the same time isn't.

I was under the impression that canon composite was allowed for as long as it was specified in the match additions.

I agree with PaChi. I don't like the idea of outright banning something tht was largely harmless in the past.

PaChi2 said:
Imo, they can be done but they shouldnt be added to the profiles.
I suppose that this could be an idea as well.

I am also leaning towards agreeing with him.

Personally I think it isn't the worst possible idea, and I'm a long shot from being against it. Buuuut this wiki doesn't exactly take kindly to the idea of a composite page, so it is doubtful it would ever be accepted. Cheers~

@Bambu this is not anout composite profiles (which we do have), it's about using powers and equipments from multiple keys in match ups

I feel like we should go all in or not at all.

If you want to make a composite key match, go for it. But, if you select certain keys and omit others out, there is where we should draw the line.

I agree with SD, unless the character legitimately has a composite key or profile, we shouldn't really composing all of the keys.

I also agree with SD. If the character in question has a composite profile/key, that's fine but not fusing together all or some of the keys.

I feel like if we allow people to just fuse keys together we'll have to make more rules and guidelines to control it. In turn, that's just adds more things to regulate, more oppurtunity for things to get out of hand and overall adds another layer to complexity to everything.

Honestly, I just don't feel like that it's worth the trouble.

That being said, I think the Composite Canon key is something that could use discussion, but perhaps on another thread. Hopefully Samus gets her composite key back

Legit the only reason anyone provides for a composite key is because "it makes the character have too few abilities" otherwise. So, translating, to make the character stronger than they actually are at the point in time so they don't easily lose a match, in a nutshell.

Kepekley23 said:
Legit the only reason anyone provides for a composite key is because "it makes the character have too few abilities" otherwise. So, translating, to make the character stronger than they actually are at the point in time so they don't lose a match.
And yet Kirito lost all three matches he had composite powers in

Why does everything have to be about bias or wanting your character to win? Why can't it be because the other character they're pitting him up against has more abilities and they're trying to even things out?

We shouldn't ban the concept altogether just because a handful of biased people use it to make matchups that favor one character.

I quoted the reason that is often given. Sorry if it offended you, but it is literally what it comes across as to me. If the character has too few abilities to compete, my view is that people have to accept it, move on and find better match ups, not fabricate entirely new keys with scenarios that, y'know, never actually happened.

And evening things out based on a new key is honestly not any different from what I criticized. Find a better match.

Maybe it's not that they want their favorite character to win. Maybe they want their favorite character to have a FIGHTING CHANCE. If it's a stomp with the composite, the match should be reported as spite instead, for the reasons you posted. If the match is close with composite, there's no reason to get all pissy.

Yes, and I completely disagree with this arbitrary "fighting chance". How about not creating a stomp match instead?

If the argument is whether or not they should be listed as wins, I don't think so. But i'm Against them not existing at all.

Or make them have a fighting chance. You against restricting abilities or equalizing speed? I think that affects matchups too.

Back