• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Composite Clown: The Fool we Make of Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Schroeder said:
You are outright saying that we should:
I'm showing the countless problems this entire VS Debating thing has. It is even worse than the logic used in Composite profiles, seeing as there is no PIS, CIS or outliers in real life. It's not legit to use it as a reason against Composite profiles.

Outliers do exist in real life, actually.

Usain Bolt's top speed is a mathematical outlier because he can't easily reproduce it and is much slower every other time.

Also your main complaint with calcs is that assumptions have to be made, but that is true of all calculations. And you exaggerate the unreliability because of that tremendously.

I find CCFB very tiresome right now, but he certainly hasn't done anything bannable yet.

"Outlier" isn't something the powerscaling community made up lol

It's a basic mathematical idea. We just use it to describe inconsistent feats.

Ryukama said:
I incredibly disagree with CCFB's idea a lot. But banning someone just because they had a different opinion than us? Especially when they weren't expressing this opinion in a rude or offensive manner? C'mon that's ridiculous and just makes us look like a corrupt hivemind.
This.

It's safe to say we all disagree with what was presented, but threatening to ban someone is not remotely something we should do.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Outliers do exist in real life, actually.

Usain Bolt's top speed is a mathematical outlier because he can't easily reproduce it and is much slower every other time.

Also your main complaint with calcs is that assumptions have to be made, but that is true of all calculations. And you exaggerate the unreliability because of that tremendously.
It's still the concrete and objective top speed of him. There are going to be no debates or downgrades to that, similar as to if a Crocodile's bite force reached 200,000 PSI. You are just going to have to deal with it.

Difference is real life calculations are real life and hold much more quantity to them than fictional calculations.

Look said:
"Outlier" isn't something the powerscaling community made up lol

It's a basic mathematical idea. We just use it to describe inconsistent feats.
It's a word for something out of the ordinary, not something that you should entirely discard as seen here

CCFB said:
So either you delete it all or keep it.
I have already explained that we have a praxis to split different types of profiles to 3 different types of wikis. This falls under self-created speculation characters that are sometimes used for parody purposes.

@CCFB Both in real life, and in fiction, outliers are objectively things that happened. No one says an outlier didn't happen. Just that outliers are simply deemed to be unreliable ways of determining what's typical, normal or to be expected.

And in fiction, outliers can be far more absurd than real life outliers. Like Batman hurting Multiversal+ beings with a kick. In that case we especially cannot use them.

But anyways you said "there are no outliers in real life" which is absolutely untrue.

Also, if we counted all outliers as valid in extremely inconsistent fictions, we would, for example, have to give Thor a "9-C to High 1-B depending on the story" statistic. As such, we sometimes have to try our best to make sense of a context that does not make much sense and find a reasonable average.

Matthew Schroeder said:
It's still an outlier, Usain Bolt isn't going to move that fast everytime.
He can, and did. It can't be just disregarded the same way as if let's say, Superman, moved 4000 sextillion times the speed of light.

Both in real life, and in fiction, outliers are objectively things that happen. No one says an outlier didn't happen. Just that outliers are just deemed to be unreliable ways of determining what's typical, normal or to be expected.

It's still something that's real, concrete and shown, and can be used, as seen with Usain Bolt's speed being considered the peak human speed. That doesn't seen to happen here, like if a character blew up the moon but dies to .22 calibre bullets it obviously has to be ignored.

I have already explained that we have a praxis to split different types of profiles to 3 different types of wikis. This falls under self-created speculation characters that are sometimes used for parody purposes.

It doesn't fit in either of the sister wikis. It's not fiction, and isn't a joke either. People are to blame if they take it as a parody and a joke, not the profile itself.

You don't seem to be understanding the point. Bolt can't replicate that speed. He needs craptons of prep time.

Antvasima said:
Also, if we counted all outliers as valid in extremely inconsistent fictions, we would, for example, have to give Thor a "9-C to High 1-B depending on the story" statistic. As such, we sometimes have to try our best to make sense of a context that does not make much sense and find a reasonable average.
While it's nowhere near the same for real life profiles, so that makes them substantially less complicated. It's much more objective and less make-belief in real life.

Ryukama: But anyways you said "there are no outliers in real life" which is absolutely untrue. I meant as in the way outliers are seen and used here. Kepekley23 said:
You don't seem to be understanding the point. Bolt can't replicate that speed. He needs craptons of prep time.
Bolt could likely replicate his top speed under sufficient circumstances. And it's like that for many races, they have special shoes and start off in a position so they can run easier.

They are speculative thought experiments that have not been published in a any notable official works. As such they are more related to fanfiction characters than our own area.

"An outlier can be used"

Do you know what an outlier actually is?

Yes an outlier happened. But claiming it's the norm is one of the most unreliable, inaccurate and dishonest things you can do.

So we simultaneously make Thor and every Marvel character who scales to him, Tier 1 and Tier 9 because we're not allowed to discard anomalies?

Usain Bolt's top speed isn't remotely comparable to stuff like Batman throwing a Multiversal+ kick. It was just an example to prove than outliers exist even IRL. Just not nearly to the extent they do in fiction of course.

They were also getting out of hand with composite organism and composite technology.

Household women can also lift cars when enraged and frustrated, which would require hundreds of kg of lifting strength due to leverage, but they obviously can't use that strength to fight someone.

Kepekley23 said:
Household women can also lift cars when enraged and frustrated, which would require hundreds of kg of lifting strength due to leverage, but they obviously can't use that strength to fight someone.
If you want to be technical, that's due to adrenaline rather than some random occurance, so in this case it's not the best analogy.

Ryukama said:
Do you know what an outlier actually is?

Yes an outlier happened. But claiming it's the norm is one of the most unreliable, inaccurate and dishonest things you can do.

So we simultaneously make Thor and every Marvel character who scales to him, Tier 1 and Tier 9 because we're not allowed to discard anomalies?

Usain Bolt's top speed isn't remotely comparable to stuff like Batman throwing a Multiversal+ kick. It was just an example to prove than outliers exist even IRL. Just not nearly to the extent they do in fiction of course.
I do. But obviously many people disagree with Usain Bolt's speed being an outlier as it is used almost everywhere. If a human ran 40mph, you can't just disregard it.

I'm aware. I can't run 28mph and most if not all other humans can't other than Bolt. I'm not making a case for the human race.

I don't mind, but you can't disregard things like that in real life. I'm not saying you should make Batman a multiversal character.

I'm aware.

They are speculative thought experiments that have not been published in a any notable official works. As such they are more related to fanfiction characters than our own area.

Of course they aren't; they aren't from a work or a story. They are neither from a fan and aren't fiction either. I can create a wiki distinctly for things like this if that would be allowed, rather than keep them, if there's no other choice

And CT was reserved for a blog.

Kepekley23 said:
No Kep let's just base reality and all scientific, medical research on the idea that an average woman can always lift cars.

Kepekley23 said:
I have never heard of a household woman doing something like that. If they did, they likely could use that strength again when angry or frustrated.

@CCFB It is out of the norm for what he normally can do. Of course we don't deny its existence or that it happened. However again it's an IRL outlier.

In fiction outliers, even if they did happen in the story, they are way too absurd for us to actually use.

CCFB said:
Kepekley23 said:
I have never heard of a household woman doing something like that. If they did, they likely could use that strength again when angry or frustrated.
Argument from ignorance Fallacy, I believe.

Skalt711 said:
@Ogurtsow Okay, then! How other Russians will react to Composite Organism? We'll see))
@Antvasima: If you will confirm that composite Real World profiles will be moved to FC/OC VS Battles Wiki, I'll do the work. And I already want to do that work, lol! I hope that Promestein will allow me to do that...

@Chartate101 No, just no.
Given that I spelled memes with a Z I thought it was implied I was being sarcastic

Ryukama said:
@CCFB It is out of the norm for what he normally can do. Of course we don't deny its existence or that it happened. However again it's an IRL outlier.

In fiction outliers, even if they did happen in the story, they are way too absurd for us to actually use.
I know. It still can't just be ignored and not used at all as he did 100% manage that speed.

I know, and that's fine. I have no problem. This is just a reason as to why Composite profiles are less complicated.

Argument from ignorance Fallacy, I believe.

If you could provide a genuine, noteworthy and factual source for one household woman lifting an entire car up, that would be great.

As far as I understand, FC/OC is a wiki for all types of fan characters, including ones without a fanfiction story. Thought experiments would fall under that banner.

Yet another extra wiki for just 10-20 specific pages seems very unnecessary.

@CCFB

I thought it was common inowledge. It's very simple. A average person can increase their ability by multiple times due to adrenaline. I can get a source if you like.

Kepekley23 said:
"I just literally lifted up the car. It was like a table with a short leg. It kind of balanced it back out and shifted enough to free my dad," Kornacki said, adding that she didn't consider the feat to be "Hulk-like." This is not anywhere close to lifting it.

The second one just sounds like she shifted its weight. Also, that site isn't considered a scientific source. If a woman actually lifted a car then it would surely be known everywhere. Regardless, if they did it; it can't be ignored and can realistically be used again as her bones and muscles didn't get destroyed.

Antvasima said:
As far as I understand, FC/OC is a wiki for all types of fan characters, including ones without a fanfiction story. Thought experiments would fall under that banner.

Yet another extra wiki for just a 10-20 specific pages seems very unnecessary.
They aren't from a fan, neither are they characters. If things built from real life are entirely allowed there then of course it can be used.

If we were to create a Usain Bolt page like we do for any other then we would use his record to rate his speed.

Except for the fact that it became a meme, why exactly do we need to delete Composite Tree? Ignoring some exceptions, trees usually have similar enough characteristics. If we delete CT just for being a meme, we should delete also Reinhard, 682, Saitama and the SW verse.

I agree that it needs revisions, but outright delete it? It's going to be revived by members of this wiki more times than we can count. Better adjust the profile instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back