• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

College of Winterhold Mages

Ok a few small things and one big thing.

Biggest issue:

Why are most of them 7-C. Only one of them focuses on destructive power; everyone else is a master in things that don't have to do with AP. Why is the restoration mage on par with the destruction mage? Why is the illusionist on par with the destruction mage? This makes even less sense for the conjugation mage because Daedra are High 8-C (ignoring incredibly powerful ones that would murder stomp everyone in the college of Winterhold combined) so why would he be 7-C if he constantly uses high 8-C's in combat.

^ This One has been answered.

Small things:

Why is silence under mind/illusion manipulation on Drevis Nelore's, last time I checked that's usually treated as power nullification. (Heck on another profile made by the same person it is power null so I don't know why it isn't on Drevis's)

Bigger problem however is this "Resistance to Reality Warping and Magic that ignore our conventional standards."

What does that mean. Elder Scrolls reality warping (for the low tiers like these guys at least) is terrible. Ignoring how they probably shouldn't even resist reality warping as alteration spells work perfectly fine on all of them, how do they ignore our conventional standards.

7-C is ranked based on the level of Magicka in both control and storage base. The master level mages are indicated in Oblivion Prima, regardless of specialization, should have enough power to channel energies to destroy entire armies. Originally, I was putting these master mages at 7-B but I realized that's quite high. Town level is reasonable if you squeezed all armies (I remembered an army should have at least 1000 soldiers, based Legends dialogue), and a master mage like Drevis calls for firestorm or something similar. The important thing in TES magic is the ability to control and create hax, not drawing raw energy to "let's say" destroy an entire region to only get yourself exploded afterward. I talked with Matthew, and he said it was reasonable.

The Daedras are hard to rank. However, those Daedras are called as Lords are equal to The Bad Man's level of Low 6-B. Phinis Gestor can summon one of them, in lore of course, not showing in-game as I already explained how canon game art contradicts the gameplay. Secondly, summoning is very risky and taking a lot of energy. This is why there are very few people summoning more than one Daedra, out of the lack of Magicka base and of course a Daedra can turn on you. In Morrowind, you could look on a quest to kill a low level Scamp, who ironically killed a full trained mage after he failed to control the Daedric creature. The Dovahkiin or other Prisoner is an exceptional summoner, but the master mages like Phinis or even Falion don't want to risk themselves killed. Additionally, there is no indication to point Daedras as 8-C yet. It makes no sense that immortal creatures of infinite energies are equal or below most mortals. A god damn scamp can kill an-above-level of 8-C Mage.

About silence, I am not sure about that. Power Nullification has quite too broad range of applications, and I have seen a Silence spell under Illusion school before. I mean there are multiple ways of casting a same effect at different school, as Drevis once said that he knew so many spells to cast lights. It is rational to deduce that his version of Silence (while similar to Power Null) is Illusion-oriented

Elder Scrolls Magic doesn't conform with real life calcs. It is basically reality warping being confined by the passive presence of Earthbones and Gods who dictate laws of nature. Nirn looks like Earth but it is so bizzare that it is not at the same time. Of course, apprentice mages like Brelyna Marion has a necklace of magic immunity that resists TES version of magic. It is simple that all master level mages here in College should have the same. The part of ignoring conventional standards applies more towards "Durability Negation", TES mages as I have said can warp reality based their Magicka pool and the scale of their power. At the very least, Soul Trap as a super common spell for even a noob hedge mage is of course Durability Negation. You can't use a super shield of Vibranium to resist a noob mage holds a black soul gem or other myriad spells that change reality and rewrite laws of nature at very localized level.

When it comes to the ap if everyone else says it's fine then I guess it's ok. Feels kinda weird for a restoration mage to be on par with a destruction mage but I guess, like you said, Magicka is more important than what you're actually using it for (I guess). (So you've answered this one)

Is it in character for him to summon those Daedra. I know we talked about it earlier but when any one else in the story summons Daedra like the bad man everyone got slaughtered instantly and realizes that was a horrible idea.

When it comes to silence it seems weird for it to be power Nullification on every other Elder Scrolls profile except Drevis'. I know he says it's different, but if it nulls magic than it's power null.

Remember how the Eternal Champion lost to Triborg, because almost all Elder Scrolls magic instantly fails against robots and the games go out of there way to say illusion and alteration (and a few destructive ones like ice and even shouts like ice form) doesn't work on robots. Saying it's out side of conventional standards when it does jack to robots is pretty ridiculous (though maybe that match with Triborg is wrong). Reality Warping is already out side of conventional standards, that's kinda the point of warping reality, it's either redundant to mention or is straight up false. Durability Negation does not mean it ignores conventional standards because that would be on a ton of profiles if it did and alteration magic still works on them just find (the Dovahkiin got turned into barn animals and even his low 2-C form got accidentally transmuted by a low level mage).

Keeweed said:
Remember how the Eternal Champion lost to Triborg, because almost all Elder Scrolls magic instantly fails against robots and the games go out of there way to say illusion and alteration (and a few destructive ones like ice and even shouts like ice form) doesn't work on robots. Saying it's out side of conventional standards when it does jack to robots is pretty ridiculous (though maybe that match with Triborg is wrong). Reality Warping is already out side of conventional standards, that's kinda the point of warping reality, it's either redundant to mention or is straight up false. Durability Negation does not mean it ignores conventional standards because that would be on a ton of profiles if it did and alteration magic still works on them just find (the Dovahkiin got turned into barn animals and even his low 2-C form got accidentally transmuted by a low level mage).
Just keep in mind that EC or Arena isn't fully integrated into mainstream Elder Scrolls series. There is a reason that many of my arguments from later Elder Scrolls don't apply towards Arena. Including the reality warping part. I feel redudant to put a link to "Durability Negation" but it is necessary to put in anyway. However, The Dovahkiin lowers his or her guard so it doesn't count at all. People would use what you're saying to justify how Goku can be killed by a rock or being shot. Not to mention that The Prisoner defies the Probability Manipulation that makes extreme luck is just way below for the hero, which it is lucky that Brelyna doesn't screw up entirely

I mean getting turned into a barn animal I guess could be seen as a joke thing for the Dovahkiin rather than a serious weakness and Arena was Retconned to hell. I just find "ignores conventional standards" to be a little weird since no other profile does. I guess if it doesn't get edited out by the end of the year it's probably going to stay, but I feel like it could be worded better.

I guess the questions in this thread have been mostly answered so Ant or any other admin can close it if they want.

Back