• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

College of Winterhold revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricsi-viragosi

VS Battles
Retired
This... is not very accurate.

Bad Format
Apply the Standard Format for Civilization Profiles. It's only a faction, but it owns land so I guess that's the best you could make of it.

Tier
"Arcording to Sergius Turrianus, Master Enchanter in the College, the institution has enough firepower to destroy half of Eastmarch (a small state in Skyrim) at ease."

No, he doesn't. He is making a ridiculous claim to prove how valued their enchantments are: "I think we could blow up half of Eastmarch, and people would still come to us for enchantments."

How would you even take "ease" from that, or that this is done through the enchantments?

Regardless, just put them at "Varies from High 8-C to 7-C with mages"... probably. Fireball is the High 8-C feat and it's described as Adept level, so not sure what the weaker mages would be.

Powers
You need to give sources and explanations instead of just listing them off or just claiming that stuff without any backing.

A lot of these are just "they are mages who are skilled, they probably know this", but that comes with problems. Such as, they explicitly state to not have cloud altering magic in Per Your Request.

A list of my problems:

Extrasensory Perception (They can sense anything going on across Skyrim as well as interdimensional worlds.
Students go missing just fine, they had no idea what was under Saarthal, and a load of other stuff. The closest thing to this is an individual sensing magic after a timestop as far as I am aware.

Blessed (Enchanters can bless and empower objects into powerful arsenals)
That's not blessing, but sure, I guess? Should list the enchantments though...

Precognition
When? Not all mages can do it, and I'm pretty sure that one Jarl old lady is special because she can.

Mind Manipulation
There is a master illusionist, yes. But as far as we know, two (or three if you take the dragonborn) are actually adept at this.

Spatial Manipulation, Time Manipulation
Based on what?

Summoning various beings of Oblivion
Should list the ones we know of.

Based on what?

Power Nullification
Is this referring to the staff of Magnus? If so, that should be listed (and that implies this is the college with DB leading it).

Poison Manipulation, Disease Manipulation, Creation, Matter Manipulation (Can use magic to create material things), Life Manipulation, Death Manipulation
Based on what?

Dimensional Storage
Don't remember that being a thing.

Telepathy
Is this assuming the conjuration master (who eventually dies/gets erased) can do what that one dude who went to Hearmeus Mora's realm in the book did that wasn't at all standard?

Necromancy (Most members know but are prohibited to practice it)
Most members know? Since when..? And I'm pretty sure you are told it is explicitly not prohibited, just frowned on outside of the institude.

Power Nullification
You listed that twice.

Power Bestowal, Power Mimicry, Power Absorption, Power Modification
Based on what?

Physics Manipulation
If you mean magic in general, reality warping already covered it. If not... give examples and quotes.

Pocket Reality Manipulation (Mages can create pocket dimensions for storage and other uses
Any reason to assume these ones can?

Weather Manipulation (Mages can manipulate weathers and create storms)
They outright state they have no method to manipulate the clouds in a letter.

Resistance to Magic and Reality Warping
What is resistant? They can make enchantments of course, but the members aren't wearing any and the institute itself isn't.

The College protected itself from the devastating tsunami caused by the Great Collapse. The tsunami destroyed the entire Winter Hold and devoured most of the Winterhold city.
As well as destroying the lower half of their bridge, and they have built on an are explicitly elevated location. Was there a mention of any magical defenses?

Arcording to Sergius Turrianus, Master Enchanter in the College, the institution has enough firepower to destroy half of Eastmarch (a small state in Skyrim) at ease
No, he doesn't. He is making a ridiculous claim to prove how valued their enchantments are: "I think we could blow up half of Eastmarch, and people would still come to us for enchantments."

The College has enough enchanted arsenals that can destroy most of Eastmarch Hold.
No.

Master Mages in the College can conjure firestorms or various destruction spells to destroy whole armies or even a town.
They probably can. It's not certain they have aoe spells at the level. It's a reasonable assumption, but shouldn't be stated as fact.

Arcording to Sergius Turrianus, Master Enchanter in the College, the institution has enough firepower to destroy half of Eastmarch (a small state in Skyrim) at ease

They possessed the Eye of Magnus and Staff of Magnus that could destroy or manipulate the whole multiverse of Mundus.
We know this because the College couldn't control it and nearly did destroy all of creation. Also, wasn't it "only" Tamriel?

Additionally, they also have three Elder Scrolls, and each of the scrolls can reshape timelines if one uses it correctly.
That's a big claim. Firstly, it assumes the Dovahkiin sells it to them. Then, it assumes they could in any way use them - and they outright cannot. They are just precious parts of a library that no one can read without becoming blind.

Mystic Wells beneath the College of Winterhold that generate tremendous power to empower individual mage
It happens when you attune it, but I do not believe it is standard procedure to actually juice up any of their mages.

The College has enough power to protect itself from the Great Collapse that destroyed all of Winter Hold, and have enough power to blow up half of Eastmarch.
See above.

By estimation, they provide millions of enchanted arsenals for the inhabitants of Skyrim with a fee.
Maaaaybe? Each mage in holds has their own enchanting table, and there are several enchanters outside of them, so to claim they make all enchanted items would be wrong. And even if, do millions have enchanted items - and were they manufactured over a year or many decades? They are pretty rare.

Even if the statement is the right one, it still needs a calculation. This being another problem.

we really need to ban kong from making elder scrolls profiles

I'm not as knowledgeable on Skyrim compared to Morrowind or Oblivion, but seeing as not a lot of Elder Scrolls fans have commented here, I agree.

I'll put together a sandbox version of what I know in a bit, but I don't know any non in-game stuff, so that would need to be filled in for me.

Idk, maybe the conjuration mage also reappears with the dwemer and achieves chim and I just don't know.

Well, if I knew I wouldn't not know them.

Some things would be how many members there are actually supposed to be, and how many non-skyrim spells they'd reasonably have.

And maybe the tier of a novice mage, since I'm recall vaporizing people being something that is actually taxing with adept level spells (I think a court wizard did it? I can't remember where I read it though).

Well, if I knew I wouldn't not know them.

Some things would be how many members there are actually supposed to be, and how many non-skyrim spells they'd reasonably have.

And maybe the tier of a novice mage, since I'm recall vaporizing people being something that is actually taxing with adept level spells (I think a court wizard did it? I can't remember where I read it though).
We are never given an exact number besides the people we see, it could be more

Spells are not really limited to regions spells are very common one of the reasons we dont see more spells is cus the developers decided to not add more or just convince them Into 1 spell and the college is actually well known for actually getting their hands on things unlike the university (which is now non existent)

Mages can vaporize with a simple fire spell and u have another story of a I think a novice using a fire ball spell (the one that explodes) and making a cave/ruin collapse

Alright.

That's a very low amount of canonically known members...

As for spells, I suppose? I am still doubtful they'd have access to spells like damage attribute unless they gain proof. And the fact that they say they have no knowledge of cloud altering magic is kind of bizarre too.

Alright.

That's a very low amount of canonically known members...

As for spells, I suppose? I am still doubtful they'd have access to spells like damage attribute unless they gain proof. And the fact that they say they have no knowledge of cloud altering magic is kind of bizarre too.
Yea, as far as I remember they never give us a canon number besides the ones we see, as for me I think there must be more.

I think there are some damage spells on skyrim that harm attributes, but the main reason u dont really get more is mostly laziness, the games the more they advanced the less they give u or they simply combine 2 spells into 1 etc. For example u have teleportation spell they took it away cus they put fast travel on the games.

You are still bound to only putting what you can reliably claim on a profile. The meta reason they don't show it doesn't matter, you can't make a profile off of guesswork.

Or you know, the alternative I provided. Their college is at a high point, elevated from everything else. Their bridge's lower half was absolutely blown apart, the upper had no more reason to be than the parts of Winterhild that weren't destroyed.

No, he is not at all referring to their power. He is speaking of their worth. Even if they committed a massacrw and a war crime, people would still buy them. This does not mean they could do such a thing. In the land, as in Skyrim? 90% of the populace sneers on magic, and the only contestants would be witch coves, hagravens and the greybeards. Greybeards assumes thu'um is counted as magic, but regardless the Greybeards are more powerful than the college.

What did the Oblivion prima state? That every mage can do it by default? You need to substantiate the profile with explanations and sources.

I do not trust the rng, it makes daedric armor and ebony weaponry downright common, and gives ancient draugr catacombs orcish and elvish arsenals. I'm sure that dwemer with an iron hammer was having the time of his life, while sitting besides ten ingots of material immensely superior.

I am not taking gameplay as canon. You claimed they provide majority of the enchanted items in the whole of Skyrim. Not only do you have nothing to base a number off on, every hold has a mage with an enchanting table.

It doesn't matter that we only see glimpses of the faction. That does not mean you can just take the reins and throw random stuff in there that you think may be reasonable.

Unless you can find a quote or source for it, do not put it into the profile. At most, put a "likely many more" for powers and abilities section. Or better, don't make a profile for something so underdeveloped in canon.

Also, decide in a time frame for when you are taking the institution at.

No problem. I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back