• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Categorically Verbose and Obnoxiously and Unbelievably Long Powers & Abilities Lists on VsBattles Characters Profiles and How To Perhaps Make Them a L

Also, this doesn't seem like it'd play nice with resistances. Those would be even weirder to note under abilities and techniques, since it doesn't really fall under either, and yet they often take up the most space.

Wokistan said:
This is sorta off topic but I feel like this could happen as like a summer project, if there's a way to specifically search for those parameters.
Open Verse page and go to the last page.

I believe trying to apply a reference-based system in the wiki as a whole is an unrealistic ideal at best. The coding required to do that isn't advanced at all, no, but the sheer amount of people who'd accidentally mess it up due to not being used to do it would be tremendous, and one single letter you get wrong messes up the entire chain of references. The staff's clean-up work would be boosted several fold with these 'minor" hiccups, not to mention new users who have no experience with source mode edits.

It may look good, but we're talking efficiency here. People should abandon any "looks good, but would be either really inefficient or would not actually change anything and would just change a system that already works fine to something that is just as good, but we have no experience on" kind of ideas.

Efficiency > aesthetics, always.

Let me give the Assassinorum tabbers real quick, then link it when I'm done. That part I actually do agree with for some files, but its good to see how it'd work out.

Not everything has to be a site wide revision, dude. It could just be a helpful thing for users to keep in mind for creating new profiles or revising old ones.

Kepekley23 said:
References could partially work, but only for specific and popular profiles where it'd be easy to keep the hiccups in check because they're being constantly moderated.
References would definitely not work as a solution for a revision of many different franchises at once, with staff members who are barely familiar with them, and definitely cannot find all of the correct chapters or episode numbers in which the feats happened.

That said, if people want to start gradually adding them to improve the fictions that they know a lot about, that is probably fine, but it is not a catch-all solution for the problems that Matthew outlined above.

I agree with this since this is what I have been trying to avoid in the CRTs I participate in. Redundancy. When it comes to transformations on certian profiles of a character, there's "All previous abilities but to a greater extend" for every key. I believe once is more than enough since it's obvious other transformations will do the same and the character would retain their abilities and attacks, unless stated otherwise.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Officio_Assassinorum

Here's an experiment in tabbers. Obviously a standard can be refined, but check out this profile to evaluate the general idea.

Personally, I think it's promising for certain files like the assassinorum where powers aren't maintained between keys.

Darkanine said:
Even if we don't do references like that, we should at some point start using references to cite to where and when a feat happens so we don't just aimlessly look through a series for a decent source.
Agreed, but we cannot do so as a revision project. It has to be a gradual change spanning years.

I'm also disagree in using Skalt's method, it seems worse to be honest.

I have been think in making blogs certain powerful characters, so users can save space in the profile by explaining other stuff in a blog.

Is not the best idea of course, but it's be useful for certain characters (Ex Doctor Doom, Loki, Black Panther, Thor, Captain America, etc).

Kepekley23 said:
I believe trying to apply a reference-based system in the wiki as a whole is an unrealistic ideal at best. The coding required to do that isn't advanced at all, no, but the sheer amount of people who'd accidentally mess it up due to not being used to do it would be tremendous, and one single letter you get wrong messes up the entire chain of references. The staff's clean-up work would be boosted several fold with these 'minor" hiccups, not to mention new users who have no experience with source mode edits.

It may look good, but we're talking efficiency here. People should abandon any "looks good, but would be either really inefficient or would not actually change anything and would just change a system that already works fine to something that is just as good, but we have no experience on" kind of ideas.

Efficiency > aesthetics, always.
This is a very good point, and the cleanup work is already enormous, with only a few staff members taking care of the brunt of it.

Kepekley23 said:
@Antvasima

I said the exact same. Why was that a response to my post?
I was just voicing my agreement and making some additions.

I was just voicing my agreement and making some additions.

Oh, okay. I thought you had misunderstood my point.

Wouldn't tabbers be too complicated to use for many of our more inexperienced members?

We do already have tabbers as a standard for images.

Tabbers shouldn't be too complicated. At most an exemple could be put in the standard format so that they know how to do it.

Wokistan said:
We do already have tabbers as a standard for images.
True, but it´s rare to find a profile made a by a new user with that done right to begin with, as far I´m aware.

Bobsican said:
True, but it´s rare to find a profile made a by a new user with that done right to begin with, as far I´m aware.
To be honest, most new users get stuff like linking abilities wrong as well, using the singular [] instead of [[]] and such.

Tabbers would only solve cases with different keys no? What about cases such as This for example, or any case that has a significant amount of hax in 1 key?

Antvasima said:
Wouldn't tabbers be too complicated to use for many of our more inexperienced members?
The coding for basic tabbers is super simple, but I guess I can write a page on how to use tabbers and their more complicated functions if people want.

As far as a general standard goes, I believe we should keep things the exact same way they are, and only encourage the usage of tabbers for profiles with extremely long power and abilities lists.

We have to disregard aesthetics to focus on what is actually efficient for the community, not just say "X is more elegant" while ignoring how efficient the solution itself is for the community as a whole, including new users who have yet to get the hang of things around here.

I have to say that many of these solutions seem to ignore the potential fallout that is characteristic of when we change a standard that already works to something else that we believe will be better, but actually works just as well as the former standard we had, meaning the change merely wasted our time and switched a system we had experience with to something more unpredictable that we had no experience with.

The only things I'd change are:

• 1. Encourage users to make blog or sandbox drafts of their profiles before actually publishing them. This way, they can actually gradually perfect the profile itself, making the staff clean-up work minimal - this solution would actually drastically reduce the current workload as well. They could also request evaluations of their drafts from time-to-time and ask for tips.
  • 2. Encourage users who are making extremely lengthy profiles with lots of abilities, and characters with lots and lots of abilties only, to use tabbers. This should be merged with the above suggestion about the blog drafts, since the misuse of tabs would increase the workload if not handled appropriately.
  • 3. Encourage users to cut down the bulk in lenghty profiles and try to keep explanations in the Power & Abilities section more short and to the point. In that case, larger explanations would be available in the "Notable Techniques" section.

I agree with the first bullet, but I think if a character has several forms with different powers, even if it doesn't amount to a lot, should also have a tabber for their powers.

@Skalt

Listing everything vertically on dudes like Kirby and Oryx would be a nightmare though.

Another issue is when people put several outsite links (Specifically for haxxed characters) in the P/A section of the characters, which makes the whole thing even more messier as those links get mixed with the internal links.

And in many occacions I was threw into another website because I accidentadly click the wrond thing.

EX: Cole MacGrath, Galactus.

I don't see what's wrong with sourcing powers if that's a thing you can do. You can find most of the Destiny lore on the Ishtar Collective, so by linking the full context that helps establish the validity of what's on the file and lets people see the full context of stuff.

Wokistan said:
@Skalt

Listing everything vertically on dudes like Kirby and Oryx would be a nightmare though.
The current look is a mess as well. What can be done to fix it?

I agree with the first bullet, but I think if a character has several forms with different powers, even if it doesn't amount to a lot, should also have a tabber for their powers.

Characters who retain most of their former abilities when they transform, minus a few abilities that make it so we can't just type "All former abilities" and have to actually retype almost everything in their previous key? Sure, that clutters profiles a lot. Tabs would be appropriate in situations like these.

Otherwise, it's just superfluous in my view.

Back