• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cal's Dragon Ball Super XXXXXX: 60 is here and 2 mins are left

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dub episode this week was funny, especially the dialogues for Goku. I liked Zamasu's voice.

Ovrhide said:
And he might be responsible for the cancelation of the attending of someone in Kamehacon.
Yup. I posted about that earlier in this thread but everyone ignored it :(

Luckily Peter's back though. Almost undoubtedly due to the backlash and terrible PR.

What is this deal with Sean exactly? He hates other Goku's VA? Or what?

What happened? Fill me in ovo.

@AKM Schemmel gets super insecure when people bring up other Goku VAs. He even blocked Peter Kelamis back in 2015 for no reason. Then when Peter was planned to attend Kamehacon, he mysteriously couldn't be there and Schemmel was suddenly announced to be appearing right after. Then Peter released a statement saying that a "VA who blocked him" was directly responsible for Kamehacon booting him out.

Please don't ruin Goku for me. You just had to tell me this? huh Ryu? ovo

That sucks to hear that Schemmel is like that...

Btw, Ryu. I did acknowledge your post up above, albeit without a response. I clicked the link and did some research (on Twitter ovo)

Why would he be insecure, he is loved by the fandom. He is rude and a total di**

Now, imma forget all about this ovo. Otherwise I won't be able to enjoy his voice as Goku.

@AKM Many people insist that we shouldn't assume it was Schemmel. However

• Despite all the harassment, attacks and memeing Schemmel received, Peter never said it wasn't him. Why would he let Schemmel get all that hate if it wasn't him? Especially when Peter defended Geekdom when he was getting blamed for it.
  • Peter stated that the VA blocked him on Twitter. And we know back in 2015 Schemmel blocked Peter.
  • Peter liked tweets that said/implied it was Schemmel.
  • The convenient timing of Schemmel being planned right after Peter got booted.
  • After it got resolved (according to Peter "via phonecall") Kamehacon thanked Schemmel for his "professional behavior" regarding this.
  • Schemmel had a Twitter meltdown and deleted nearly all his tweets (check his account right now)
  • Other VAs like Kaiji Tang and one of Raditz's voices claimed that Schemmel has done similar things. (Well they never said it was Schemmel but Schemmel responded to their tweets and claimed they were talking about him, asking for a DM. So he kinda played himself there)
  • At the end of Peter's original statement he said "P.S. I did pronounce Kaioken right". That had been a major point of contention since Peter and Schemmel pronounce Kaioken differently.
So basically denying that it was Schemmel is pretty silly at this point.

I don't know about you all, but Sean being a douche doesn't affect my perception of the characters at all. ovo

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I don't know about you all, but Sean being a douche doesn't affect my perception of the characters at all. ovo
The struggles of everyone who grew up with Funimation. Having to learn that the original Japanese Goku and Schemmel are actually total assholes.

I kinda like the original Japanese Goku tho. It gives him more depth other than being Superman having a bad hair day in a martial arts gi.

@Ryukama

Honestly i'm well aware but i'd probably leave out the "jerk" part. You can still be selfish without being someone who throws pebbles at people everyday for fun.

@Dragon I idolized and looked up to Funimation Goku as a kid. So it hit a bit hard when I found out that the original Japanese Goku isn't like that. Now being older I appreciate the extra depth and moral ambiguity of the original.

TurboTriangle601 said:
@Ryukama
Honestly i'm well aware but i'd probably leave out the "jerk" part. You can still be selfish without being someone who throws pebbles at people everyday for fun.
Willingly risking the lives of billions of innocent people for the sake of a good sparring match on multiple occasions is definitely grounds for being called a "jerk". If anything that's a major understatement.

Funny because I remember Sean calling it kay oh ken in his early days lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONc2-HhfRw&t=0m46s

Goku does have morality and cares for innocent people. It just takes a major backseat to his lust for battle. That's his character in the original Japanese. This scene summarizes it perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfyp_4JpUE

Then this is Funimation Goku. He's the exact opposite. His lust for battle takes a major backseat to his care for the innocent. He also takes upon a self-righteous symbol of justice persona that the original Goku is too simple and shallow to really care all that much about.

CURSED IMAGE

B8a4198e15c0685be8621ff702c54126
Also minirant, GoodReads is horribly unreliable for quoting people. This is just one of many examples

@AKM I also loved the timing of this line.

It was given right when where there was a bandwagon on the exact opposite side of the spectrum.

"GRRR Goku is EVIL!" "Goku caused the Tournament of Power!" "Goku's the real villain of the arc!" "I lack basic reading comprehension skills!"

Goku isn't fully good or fully bad. I love that about his character.

@Dragon I love how it was stated like 4 times that Zeno was gonna destroy the universes on the spot yet Goku convinced him to spare one and give the others a chance to survive, but people still insist that he's evil and caused all this.

Hence why I said "I lack basic reading comprehension skills" when portraying that bandwagon lol

"I lack basic reading comprehension skills!"

lol

And yes, I like that about Goku as well. Technically, I liked Superman's character more since childhood and I still do like his character better than Goku, but I get why most people grew tired of his "cliche" and "perfect" character and started liking the original Goku more for his "realistic" and simple character (he is still 1-dimensional tho).

@Ryu Exactly. People also keep saying even now that the universes being erased is Goku's fault....I'm not joking....

Darkanine said:
I really want to believe Akira Toriyama actually said that to his editors at one point.
Toriyama: Hey guys did you hear this garbage that they put in the dub? It goes "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" Ridiculous isn't it guys?

Editor: Yo shut the **** up. It's called artistic license. Do you have any idea how hard those guys bust their ass to make a dub that the fans enjoy while not taking any input from the fans?

Toriyama: You're right. I'm sorry.

@Ryu Exactly. People also keep saying even now that the universes being erased is Goku's fault....I'm not joking....

AKM sama said:
"I lack basic reading comprehension skills!"

lol

And yes, I like that about Goku as well. Technically, I liked Superman's character more since childhood and I still do like his character better than Goku, but I get why most people grew tired of his "cliche" and "perfect" character and started liking the original Goku more for his "realistic" and simple character (he is still 1-dimensional tho).
What? You like Superman? I thought you couldn't like Goku and Superman at the same time

AKM sama said:
He might have after watching DBE
I got the best mental image of Akira Toriyama standing on the tallest tower in Tokyo, pissed out of his mind, and just yelling at the top of his lounges "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back