• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boros power and abilities slight change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qawsedf234

VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
Currently the Boros profile lists these two statistics

• Regenerationn (At least High-Mid; regenerated from being punched into a bloody mist by Saitama)
The issue is that both of these feats are describing what happened in the anime rather than the manga. In the manga, while Boros was gored, he was not reduced to blood splatter like in the anime and he show cases no examples of flight in the manga.

His regen won't change to my knowledge since one of the justifications for this tier is "The ability to regenerate from being blown / cut to pieces" (So something like "Regenerationn: High-Mid, regenerated from being blown to pieces"), but his flight should probably be removed.

Since its sorta straight forward can this be applied or does it need more input?

I think he should have pswudo flight, he flies like a plane i think, he gives himself momentum via his own energy i think, so he cant fly by himself he needs that. Edit: wait, he didnt show flight un manga? Then it should be removed.

This seems fine.

Though if he wasn't falling while unleashing his CSRC I think flight is plausible but it's whatever most people decide is better.

He doesn't seem to change his relative position when using his CSRC. He's always hovering mid-air even when giving a rather long monologue. So maybe keep it but remove the anime part? Like "Flight (Capable of using energy to levitate)"

There's no way you can give Boros flight for that second scan, unless saitama is also flying there. As for him hovering, why is that more likely than him just falling but the scene happening in such a short timeframe that his relative motion is almost nothing. This is a relativistic character after all.

So is the anime being ignored when it comes to the canoncity of OPM? Nothing shown in the anime contracts the manga, it just gives more showings.

The same S-class heros that are currently listed as massively hypersonic, scaling from atomic samurai? Thats not great evidence he was floating there for multiple seconds.

The same S-class heros that are currently listed as massively hypersonic, scaling from atomic samurai?

Only Silverfang, Darkshine, and possibly Tornado scale to Atomic Samurai, Everyone else is only in the High Hypersonic+ range by comparison. You can also see explosions happening and falling debris.

So is the anime being ignored when it comes to the canoncity of OPM?

Yeah the anime is being ignored. Like how the site ignores the Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, and Dragon Ball anime for their respective manga profiles.

Assaltwaffle said:
So is the anime being ignored when it comes to the canoncity of OPM? Nothing shown in the anime contracts the manga, it just gives more showings.
It's not about contradictions but the contents, I think.

@Qawsed

As far as I am aware the magma only takes primary canon status and, if nothing contradicts it, the anime can be used.

Well in this case the anime contradicts the scale of both powers. Boros healed from far less damage in the manga and at best showcased levitation in the manga. In the anime both powers are magnitudes better.

I'm fine with flight staying, I just think that his Regenerationn should have its description changed

But it isn't a contradiction, it is an expansion. He has shown regenerative abilities, we just don't see them as the same level as we do in the anime. If he failed to regen from something that is less than High-Mid in the manga, then it would be contradictory.

Also, in the above panel the movement depicted from their trails is impossible to achieve without flight. Boros still seems capable of flight in both incarnations.

I just disagree with using an anime scene to justify his regen justifcation. His manga scene is the same ier wise and it doesn't rely on cross canon scenes.

Yeah the second panel is the best other evidence I found for flight. Assuming it wasn't mid-air movements. But its seem remarkably worse than what was shown in the anime.

Other profiles for OPM don't use the anime to justify their powers or statistics, so I don't think we should make an exception for Boros. Especially since he's not really losing any powers, just limiting them to his primary canon feats.

I am leaning towards agreeing with Qawsedf234.

Also, to add, according to my reading of the Cano page I don't think the anime being similar to the manga is a good enough reason to keep it on the profile

When different source materials give different versions of the same feat, and by that they contradict each other in the depiction of the feat, the primary canon takes precedence over the secondary canon.

If the feat is correctly depicted over multiple canons any of these can be used to judge the feat. Should different results be reached by judging the feat through multiple canons, the result of the primary canon will have priority.

So for most manga series, that means the original manga is canonical, while the anime is not (since the anime is simply an adaptation of the manga made by others). Databooks are considered secondary canon since scans tend to contradict them. It should be noted that this is often evaluated on a case - by - case basis.

So I'm firmly against using the anime scenes to justify those ratings. Better to just keep it manga only imo.

I agree with that we shouldn't randomly mix continuities.

Since Assaltwaffle is the only one who disagreed with the changes, can they be applied?

Antvasima said:
I agree with that we shouldn't randomly mix continuities.
It isn't mixing continuities. It's the same continuity. The exact same events occurred in almost the exact same way. In the anime we just get to see him more in his post-punches state and we get to see the flight that he probably already had in the manga.

But they aren't the same continuity and they don't occur in the same way. The anime is always a secondary source at best and shouldn't be used over the manga, especially when the listed abilities are far better in the adaption.

Plus the anime is a clear example of what the Canon page was talking about with the following

When different source materials give different versions of the same feat, and by that they contradict each other in the depiction of the feat, the primary canon takes precedence over the secondary canon.

The anime is just an expanded manga. No significant deviations of events occur in it like they do in DBZ, for example.

And we aren't using it over the other NOR does one contradict the other. The manga shows a bloody explosion. The anime shows a blood explosion a bit longer, showing how his body becomes even more destroyed.

In the manga he and Saitama are fighting in the air all over the place and we don't see how. In the anime we see how and it makes sense.

The Canon page only dictates when there are different versions. There are no different versions here.

We cannot change our policies and apply powers only shown in secondary canon to the main canon.

It might be an idea to give some of the OPM characters extra statistics keys based on the anime though. If I have understood correctly, it would upgrade Saitama to 5-B.

The anime shows Saitama punch Boros dozens of times and reduces him to a blood mist. The manga shows him being punched ten times and having visible solid pieces of his body left over. It's pretty different. Both in Regenerationn scope and how many attacks Saitama threw out.

Same with the flight. In the manga Boros throws one punch then kicked Saitama to the moon while the anime showed him throw dozens of punches and him using multiple throws before he kicked Saitama.

This isn't one scene but with greater detail, these are two entirely different scenes that boost Boros' stats beyond what's shown in the primary canon. Add them in with an anime key or something, but his primary statistics should not use them as justification.

It depends on whether we should treat the anime as another continuity or just an addition of the manga's script, considering ONE worked on the script for the anime as well.

If the former, then another key might be better. If the latter, then it should be fine to keep those powers.

Well, then the ability should preferably be removed for the manga incarnation.

I think he still has both abilites as a clarification. I just think the justifications need to be changed. So instead of

• Regenerationn (At least High-Mid; regenerated from being punched into a bloody mist by Saitama)
It should be

• Regenerationn (High-Mid; regenerated from blown to pieces by Saitama)
With flight it should remove the gif and mention the levitation aspect of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back