• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bleach: Light Novel Statements and Feats

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
This is a thread I've wanted to make for a while since the official translation of all of the Can't Fear Your Own World novels were released. It took me a while to go through the novels and gather all of the relevant excerpts.

Some of these we already use on the profiles, some of them I haven't seen discussed before. I don't think most people will have read the novels so that's not unexpected. I've included the page number for the excerpts provided below.

Note: For the statements from the light novel I will be ignoring generic statements such as “lightning-fast strikes” since this is the most common type of hyperbole in fiction and comes up frequently even when the speed of the character has nothing to do with actual lightning. These passages should almost never be used to upgrade or downgrade characters without further evidence.

Second Note: Keep drama to a minimum. Nobody enjoys coming into a thread and seeing reaction images and people talking about "looking forward to the drama". The sole purpose of this thread is to introduce new evidence that could help improve the accuracy of our profiles.

#1 Candice’s Arrows​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 2, Page 31, Candice Catnipp - a former Sternritter - launches an ambush on Ginjo Kugo.

Her attack is one of her Quincy arrows, a Heilig Pfeil, which is imbued with electricity/lightning and is described as being slower than an actual lightning bolt but still quick enough to be described as “lightning speed.” So low-end lightning-fast attack speed for Candice which is currently accepted on her profile.

It is also pointed out in this section that lightning itself is far below the speed of light, and these arrows are even slower than normal lightning.

#2 Ginjo’s Reactions​

In the same section where Candice launches her attack up above, we also get a description on Ginjo’s reaction to it.

It is described that even if he could “just barely sidestep it”, he wouldn’t be unharmed by it passing him so closely so instead of dodging it he summons his sword in order to disperse the lightning-enhanced arrow.

The takeaway from this is that while Ginjo could have dodged the arrow, it still would have been a close thing so he chose to deflect it rather than get out of the way.

We get another instance of Ginjo’s reactions to lightning in Volume 2, Page 45 - 46. After Candice’s Electrocution attack is diverted into a tree grown by Tsukishima, Ginjo deflects offshoots of lightning that come his way with his sword like he did before.

#3 Candice’s Electrocution​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 2, Page 32, Candice Catnipp - a former Sternritter - appears in the midst of Ginjo Kugo, Shūkurō Tsukishima, and Giriko Kutsuzawa and uses her Electrocution attack to try and hit them with genuine lightning.

Candice’s Electrocution seemingly works by extending a bolt of lightning into the sky and a real bolt of cloud-to-ground lightning strikes the target. This is backed up in the original manga where Candice uses cloud-to-ground lightning to attack Kenpachi.

Also, when Candices uses her Electrocution attack on Ichigo in the manga, there is a burst of cloud-to-ground lightning.

More supportive evidence for it being cloud-to-ground lightning is that Tsukishima blocks it by growing a tree to enormous height with his ability in order to redirect the bolt of lightning. He doesn't make some kind of wall in front of himself to block a head-on attack; the size of the tree is specified.

#4 Grimmjow’s Movement Speed​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 2, Page 57 - 58, Grimmjow arrives on the battlefield via a Garganta portal far to the west of the rest of the fighters.

Grimmjow is said to be moving his body “exactly like one of Candice’s bolts of lightning” and the passage from the second page gives indication towards Grimmjow moving there at high speed so that the fighters there barely have time to prepare themselves and identify Grimmjow.

So this is movement speed from Grimmjow that is seemingly comparable in speed to a lightning bolt, and his appearance on the battlefield is still described as “sudden” and he arrived “before Ginjo and the others could prepare themselves and identify him.”

#5 Hisagi’s Reactions​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 3, Page 116, Shūhei Hisagi is facing off against Tokinada who has the ability to copy Zanpakuto abilities.

The ability that Tokinada uses against him is Gin Ichimaru’s Shinso; which is a blade that in its Bankai form can extend at a speed of Mach 500, or Mach 1000 with a special technique. The Shikai version of this, which is what Tokinada uses, would be even slower than this. This speed is faster than Hisagi can detect/react to, and the attack pierces him. The speed of this attack is definitely supposed to be significant in-verse since according to Gin his Zanpakuto is the "fastest Zanpakuto" which is supported by characters struggling with its speed.

This is as blatant an anti-feat as you can get; Shinso is faster than Hisagi’s reactions.

#6 Hirako’s Reactions Part 1​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 2, Page 199, Candices fires a barrage of her near-lightning speed arrows at the giant Hollow Ikomikidomoe, followed up by her Electrocution which as covered before is real lightning.

Hirako was in the battle as well, and he “narrowly dodged” the lightning, and was clearly in danger from it since he broke out in a cold sweat.

This prompts him to get even further out of the way.

#7 Hirako’s Reactions Part 2​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 3, Page 116, Hirako Shinji fights against Tokinada who can copy Zanpakuto abilities. One of these abilities is Gin Ichimaru’s Shinso which we know from up above that it extends at less than Mach 500.

Hirako’s battle instincts tell him that he cannot dodge this less than Mach 500 attack with his eyes closed.

This seems consistent to me with him only narrowly being able to avoid lightning-speed attacks earlier.

#8 Ryūjin Jakka & Shinso​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 3, Page 127, Hisagi hears about how Kyoka Suigetsu was used to trick the Shinigami Captains by making some attacks appear like other attacks.

Tokinada’s attacks with Ryujin Jakka are noted to be slower than Shinso since opponents estimating the speed of the spreading flames would end up being “cleaved by the lightning-fast strike”.

It is also noted that even the likes of Shunsui would be “avoiding the blow by a thin margin” when facing what they thought was an attack from Shinso.

Multiple characters reactions when facing a less than Mach 500 attack appear to be consistent; Shunsui and Hirako all struggle to barely dodge the attacks, and Hisagi is incapable of even keeping up with it.

#9 Candice’s Movement vs. Kenpachi​

Going back to the original manga, chapter 580; Candice displays a movement technique to dodge out of the way of Kenpachi’s attack.

As noted on Candice’s profile right now, Candice can seemingly transform herself into a bolt of lightning to give herself a speed boost and evade Kenpachi’s attack.

I’m not suggesting that Kenpachi is too slow to keep up with lightning because this version of Kenpachi was weakened and badly damaged after his fight with Gremmy, but it is telling for Candice’s speed that her normal movement is too slow to evade Kenpachi so she moves as lightning in order to enhance her speed.

#10 Tokinada’s Reactions​

In Can’t Fear Your Own World, Volume 2, Page 195 - 196, Tokinada deflects a lightning attack from an assassin.

He is noted as either being fast enough to react to lightning, or not being fast enough to react to lightning and simply predicting his opponent’s attacks. Either one of these means that his abilities in battle are noteworthy.

This part isn’t as hard evidence as the rest of the thread, but I needed to include it since it could be either the possibility that he is moving fast enough to react to lightning or he’s not, but if Tokinada is supposed to be far faster than the speed of lightning, then it would be nonsensical to bring up the possibility that his reactions are slower than lightning.

Conclusion​

• Candice Catnipp fires attacks at lightning-speed and near-lightning speed.
    • Ginjo Kugo and Hirako Shinji could narrowly dodge these attacks.
    • Ginjo Kugo opted to deflect the attacks instead of narrowly dodging them.
  • Grimmjow’s movement speed is compared to lightning, and it is difficult for others such as Ginjo Kugo to keep up with him.
  • The less than Mach 500 speed Shinso is too fast for Shūhei Hisagi to keep up with.
  • The less thanMach 500 speed Shinso is difficult for Hirako Shinji to dodge.
  • The less thanMach 500 speed Shinso is implied to be particularly fast among Tokinada’s attacks, since opponents anticipating the speed of Ryujin Jakka could be struck by the even faster Shinso.
  • Candice required an enhancement to lightning speed in order to dodge a weakened Kenpachi’s attack.
  • While Tokinada is capable of reflecting a lightning-based attack, it is suggested to be possible for Tokinada to have slower than lightning speed reactions. Either way, him having the capability to react to lightning is presented as a notable feat.

I haven't attached proposals for specific changes in ratings right away because what I want to make sure of first is that my interpretation of these passages from the light novels is accurate and others on here agree with it. If we can establish that, then we can move on to deciding what ratings need to be changed to make our profiles more accurate.

Last edited:
In the novel, it says that the power of the Zanpakuto depends on the user's Reiatsu. For example, Ryujin Jakka and Kyoka Suigetsu.

So, it's uncertain that speed of Tokinada's sinso is mach 500.

You're right in that it is mentioned that Tokinada's abilities are not as efficient because he puts most of his spiritual powers into Kyoka Suigetsu. It's possible that his attack with Shinso could be even slower than Mach 500.

I don't think I've seen any mention of any of his abilities surpassing the original users, but I'll take another look.

Yep that’s a direct statement alright.

Ginjo spends the rest of the fight calling Candice’s attacks slow and casually evading her.

It’s cloud-to-ground, so it’s automatically at least average lightning speed as per this wiki’s standards. However, it’s also “a bolt of lightning that surpasses any lightning in nature”. Personally, I think this means we should give it a high end lightning speed, but let’s hear what others say.

All this means is base Grimmjow has ~lightning speed travel speeds. Travel speed =/= combat speed, so this is not an inherent limit to Grimmjow’s speed. Alternatively, since the quote doesn’t actually mention speed, under equal interpretation, all the statement could mean is that Grimmjow is streamlined like a bolt of lightning. Again, it doesn’t limit Grimmjow’s speed at all.

Unless it is stated there’s no reason to assume Tokinada’s Shinso is the same speed since we know his spiritual energy amount affects the potency of his copies.So no it’s not a blatant anti-feat.

Shinji narrowly evading an attack from Candice while focused on fighting Ikomikidomoe is not an anti-feat. He was caught by surprise.

Again, is it stated that Tokinada’s Shinso is the same speed as Gin’s? That greatly changes things. Also, as you mention he draws attention to being “unable to dodge an attack he can’t see”.

You yourself acknowledge how Tokinada was using illusions and trickery to land the hits, it’s not like a straight forward brawl, it’s hard to assert with certainty that issues characters had were purely physical stat based.

Dodging an on-death’s-door Kenpachi literally means nothing.

On the surface this seems fine, however it’s still too vague. For example, I can move as fast as something slower than me to parry it, and I can move slower than something slower than me to dodge it via predicting it’s movement. Point in case, this isn’t an inherent anti-feat either, while to you it seems questionable, under equal interpretation, mine is equally valid.

Im going to talk about Gin’s Zanpakuto later today.

You're right in that it is mentioned that Tokinada's abilities are not as efficient because he puts most of his spiritual powers into Kyoka Suigetsu. It's possible that his attack with Shinso could be even slower than Mach 500.

I don't think I've seen any mention of any of his abilities surpassing the original users, but I'll take another look.
It is stated, Hanataro's ability is literally stated to be much more powerful when used by Tokinada.

And yeah, Tokinada currently scales far above Gin, so it's pretty easy to argue his mimiced Shinso is far superior.

@Arc7Kuroi; my intention is not to post all of these as being "antifeats", but to point out a mixture of anti-feats and lower level feats.

It’s cloud-to-ground, so it’s automatically at least average lightning speed as per this wiki’s standards. However, it’s also “a bolt of lightning that surpasses any lightning in nature”. Personally, I think this means we should give it a high end lightning speed, but let’s hear what others say.

The context of it is that her lightning is more powerful than natural lightning since an earlier passage mentioned it "surpassing the power of natural lightning". The second statement seems like it is just referring back to the first one.

So it is not stated to be faster than natural lightning.

Unless it is stated there’s no reason to assume Tokinada’s Shinso is the same speed since we know his spiritual energy amount affects the potency of his copies.So no it’s not a blatant anti-feat.

Unless it is pointed out that the speed of his Shinso is superior, then the safer assumption is that it is as fast as Gin Ichimaru.

Even if you think there is a strong possibility it could be faster, I haven't seen anything to directly prove this.

Dodging an on-death’s-door Kenpachi literally means nothing.

I'm not posting that as an example of a limitation on Kenpachi's speed; moreso that moving at the speed of lightning is indicated to be above Candice's typical combat speed since she needed it to dodge him.

Does someone have a citation for Candice supposedly turning into a lightning bolt and moving at the speed of lightning?

It seems like the segment from the profile was just plagiarized from the Bleach wiki, which is just someones opinion as far as I can see with no source.

It is stated, Hanataro's ability is literally stated to be much more powerful when used by Tokinada.

And yeah, Tokinada currently scales far above Gin, so it's pretty easy to argue his mimiced Shinso is far superior.
You're right in that, I've found the passage here.

It isn't stated however that Shinso is one of those abilities that would change, and we aren't given a statement that it is faster than Gin's usage of it. The safest assumption would be that it is at least as fast as Gin's Bankai.

Being that Tokinada’s spiritual energy ~ EoS Byakuya >>>>>>> Gin’s. It would be at least as fast if not faster. Which means that you still cannot use Mach 500 as a limit.

Which is directly contradicted by the manga anyhow.

Pseudo Bankai Ichigo can dodge Shinso < Fullbring Ichigo ~ Tsukishima ~ LAA Byakuya <<< the entire TYBW arc.

Candice’s lightning is one thing, but your Gin points are too feeble and contradicted by too much. This discussion should prolly be focused around Candice’s lightning with the Gin stuff removed.

It isn't stated however that Shinso is one of those abilities that would change, and we aren't given a statement that it is faster than Gin's usage of it. The safest assumption would be that it is at least as fast as Gin's Bankai.
Literally all abilities in Bleach get stronger/faster when the users Reiatsu increases... I'd have thought this were extremely obvious, unless you think Gin's Bankai can't improve and is just always stuck at the same speed since he first aquired it? Which is never the case for any Bankai ever.

We know that weaker Zanpakuto abilities in Tokinada's possession become more potent, therefore it's logical to assume his copy of Shinso is more potent as well given that Tokinada > Gin, and let's not forget that Shinso's defining trait is speed.

Personally, I think the safest thing is not to assume speed.

There are too many variables, such as Tokinada's Reiatsu, Reiryoku and using Kyoka suigetsu at the same time, etc.

It could still be the same with normal lightning but higher in AP or the other way round or higher speed and AP.

For near lightning speed, maybe assume Mach 800? I remember a survey showing results around the 274-310 km/s range for the slowest lightning bolts.

Now that I think about lightning speed Candice might be a contradiction somewhat.

Ichigo dodging Shinso = Mach ~2600 < Fullbring Ichigo ~ Tsukishima ~ LAA Byakuya = fodderized in TYBW.

Lightning speed being like Mach ~1300.

TYBW Characters massively out scaling the previous arc which has characters who’re way faster than lightning.

Ichigo dodging Shinso = Mach ~2600

I think that the original calculation for that is, not exactly flawed, but uses generous assumptions in the calculation for it.

Assumptions when calculating, while they can be reasonable by themselves, can end up producing a result that is not necessarily accurate.

Even if you wanted to say that, Ichigo is reacting to Mach 1000.

Byakuya scales above that Ichigo -> can double his petal speed -> people like Tsukishima can still react.

Without calcs you still get TYBW characters fodderizing characters who can fight with Mach 1000-2000 speeds.

Mind you the slowest lightning is slower than Mach 1000.

Also known as, my point still stands.

We'd have to dive deeper into the scaling chains and figure out how who scales to what, and how, in order to resolve the contradictions.

Lmao so it may seem huh.

I’m more neutral towards the Candice stuff, believe it or not, but the Gin stuff with Tokinada is a stretch.

The only speed feat I’m really set in stone on is Hikone’s rel+ to LS feat lol.

Damage vs Arc again

I'm definitely seeing this guys are rivals.
At this point I don't mind working together in order to reach the most accurate ratings on the profiles. Personally I think that the light novels add a good amount of clarification and information that can help us out.

The only speed feat I’m really set in stone on is Hikone’s rel+ to LS feat lol.

Yeah, I didn't need to bring that one up because that version of Hikone is only really relevant to Novel Kenpachi for the most part.

This is moreso the general speed of all the other characters.

We'd have to dive deeper into the scaling chains and figure out how who scales to what, and how, in order to resolve the contradictions.
The novels are secondary to the manga, and most of your arguments are based around the novel, when there are contradictions we default to the manga which has characters considerably above lightning speed being fodderized by the Sternritter.

eah, I didn't need to bring that one up because that version of Hikone is only really relevant to Novel Kenpachi for the most part.

This is moreso the general speed of all the other characters.
Yer yer that’s why it’s so easy lol it only scales to God Tiers of the verse.

Unless Gin scales above TYBW Byakuya, Tokinada is superior to Gin and the ability he copies from weaker characters are superior to the originals while the contrary for superior character abilities been weaker than the original.

I will reread this novel again but as I recall Ginjo claims he is able to dodge more easily because Candice's arrow is slower than light?

Unless Gin scales above TYBW Byakuya, Tokinada is superior to Gin and the ability he copies from weaker characters are superior to the originals while the contrary for superior character abilities been weaker than the original.

The passage from the novels says "There are many zanpakuto powers that increase in ability according to the spiritual pressure of its user."

Not "all zanpakuto abilities."

It is noted in the light novel some of the abilities that Tokinada uses which are increased, and some of them which are decreased. The safest amount of assumptions involved is that we don't assume there is a change for an ability if it has not been confirmed for us.

Especially since Tokinada also uses multiple abilities at the same time which decreases his effectiveness with each of them; meaning just as it is possible that Shinso could get a buff, it could also get a debuff when he's using it.

I will reread this novel again but as I recall Ginjo claims he is able to dodge more easily because Candice's arrow is slower than light?
No, it's "slower than lightning".

It's also pointed out that lightning is slower than light anyway.

Imo since it talks about speed of lighting multiple times, when he says ”surpass any lighting in the realm on nature” it should be taken into account the fastest lightning in nature, and it probably make more sense with the scaling too.

Imo since it talks about speed of lighting multiple times, when he says ”surpass any lighting in the realm on nature” it should be taken into account the fastest lightning in nature, and it probably make more sense with the scaling too.

The context of it is that her lightning is more powerful than natural lightning since an earlier passage mentioned it "surpassing the power of natural lightning". The second statement seems like it is just referring back to the first one.

It is not stated to be faster than natural lightning.

Since one side thinks it refers to speed and the other thinks it refers to power, I think we should compromise and say it refers to both.

Power is force times velocity

I’m fine with it being anywhere from lightning speed to faster than normal lightning tbh

I think until we get more info (with the anime or databooks), it's fine to just say Electrocution is "at least avg lightning speed" and leave it at that.

Back