• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Big Hal Jordan Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Powers and Abilities

Hal's missing a few powers, and some of his powers don't have scans showing them. Let's fix that.

Added Scans
These powers are already on Hal's profile, but these are just some scans to justify them.

Teleportation

Telepathy

Healing (Low) - Heals a small wound on his leg.

Time Slow - Dilates time in order to choose a successor before his death.

Intangibility

Information Analysis

Portal Creation - Made a portal to the antimatter universe.

Invisibility - Created a bubble that made him and Black Canary invisible.

Illusion Creation

Resistance to Mind Manipulation

Resistance to Fear Manipulation - Helps Kyle Rayner break free of Parallax.

Powers
New powers that should be added.

Energy Projection - Do I really need to explain why a Green Lantern should have this power...?

Power Bestowal - Gives Wally West the powers of a Green Lanter.

Heat Manipulation - Mimics the heat of the su.

Fire Manipulation - Creates fire to disable Martian Manhunter.

Air Manipulation - Creates a fa.

Sound Manipulation - Turns off Arisia's voice.

Astral Projection - Projects himself to Fire and Ice.

Body Control - Seals his and Barry Allen's metabolisms.

Non-Physical Interaction and Statistics Amplification (via Absorption) - Gains power by absorbing a Guardian's Projection.

Sealing

Creation and Wood Manipulation - Creates wooden bugs.

Water Manipulation - Makes a functional shower.

Mind Manipulation

Technology Manipulation - Projects a message through all TVs in Coast City.

Biological Manipulation - Reactivates a part of Hector Hammond's brain to make him feel pai.

Power Mimicry - Replicates the neural mind blasts he was just hit with.

Light Manipulation - Fires a burst of light from his ring.

Sleep Manipulation - Puts a crowd of people to sleep.

Fear Manipulation - Uses Superman's own fears against him.

Immortality (Type 4) and Resistance to Death Manipulation - Chooses to will himself alive.

Resistance to Transmutation - Fights back against having his body turned into that of a Guardia.

Resistance to Possession - Forces Jericho out of his body.

Resistance to Biological Manipulation - Briefly resists having his brain reprogrammed.

Tier Change
A Green Lantern's power hinges on their willpower, and they can become stronger or weaker depending on what level their willpower is operating at. Therefore, I propose Hal be given a Variable tier. This is because while he is normally portrayed at a 4-B level, he also has consistent showings at a 2-C level, which can be justified as him simply using more willpower. His 4-B justification should also be changed, as he has shown that he is superior to other GLs like Kilowog and John Stewart, as well as other DC heavy hitters.

Examples of 2-C Hal:

• In Ion #4, Hal defeated Alexander Nero on his own, and in Ion #5, Nero was shown to be capable of catching a serious Ion's hand mid-swing, forcing his hammer out of his hand and then hitting him with it. Nero was also stated by Ion to be siphoning off his power, and his body withstood a powerful blast from Ion.
4-B justification change:

Speed
Some better scans and justifications. Hal is consistently portrayed as being on par with speedsters and faster than Superman type characters.

Larfleeze
Larfleeze should be upgraded to 2-C.

Overall Proposals
The revised Hal.

Scaling
If this is accepted, I'd also need to revise Kilowog, Mogo the Living Planet, and Green Lantern (John Stewart) (Post-Crisis), as they shouldn't be noted as comparable to Hal.

I'll check the scans after a while, but are there explicit statements to support said variable tier?

But I find it problematic to believe that would imply Hal doesn't have a constant will, oh well

Additional scans are nice, but they should be descriptive of what they're showcasing, as such please add descriptions of thek within the OP?

Well, he has two consistent levels. Either 4-B (although the degree of 4-B varies sometimes) or 2-C.

Wahh I did that in the sandbox so I wouldn't have to do it here. Alright, give me a moment.

Done. I also added the scans that show how a GL's power varies to the OP.

I'm iffy about him varying from 4-B to 2-C via willpower. It seems similar to Hulk's anger, but we don't rate him as variable. I doubt they suddenly become 4-dimensional just because of will?

Well, wasn't there a revision to give Hulk a Variable tier? And while it doesn't particularly make logical sense (but then again, what does in DC?), it's consistent. Hal at his peak is shown to be on the same level as the likes of Ion, Parallax and the emotional entities on several occasions.

I found it and commented on it, I have several issues with it unrelated to this, but I suppose this seems fine, although I still find it weird. Eh, it's DC.

The new abilities seem fine.

Larfleeze being comparable to Ion and Parallax is fine.

I am very uncertain about making Hal 2-C though. It is commonplace in superhero comics to successfully fight characters far out of one's own weight class, and Hal has no feats of his own remotely approaching this scale as far as I am aware.

Well, if it helps, in Rebirth, Hal is stated to be the embodiment of will and the Guardians indirectly stated that he was comparable to him. So this is something that's consistent for Hal, and even carries over into new continuities.

Here's my evaluation on the first set of 2-C stuff from the OP:

1) Considering the Guardians stated that it nearly eclipses their own, there isn't that much of a difference in power there. Also Hal very clearly harms it here. Plus he's shown as the only person capable of harming it.

2) Hal didn't just "make a construct in front of it..." his construct is very clearly grappling with The Predator.

3) The other four Lanterns get disabled (which is shown in the scan I gave), and Hal had to hold Parallax off on his own for a moment (which is also shown). Then everyone got back up and they sealed him. And Parallax with a 4-B host (apart from Sinestro) is 4-B, yes. When his host is a Guardian, which are 2-C, then logically it would still be a 2-C feat.

4) Why exactly should Hal not scale to his feat of harming Krona? Harming a 2-C is still 2-C. And just because Krona claims it's all of Hal's willpower doesn't really mean it is, especially when Krona is very clearly an arrogant character.

5) I never claimed Hal was on par with Superboy-Prime... I said he harmed him. Harming a 2-C is still a 2-C feat, especially when they're a really high-end 2-C, damn near a 2-B like SBP.

Part 2

We don't have a rating for the Guardians of the Universe yet.

Atrocitus corrects the Guardian's pride that Black Lantern Spectre "does" eclipse him/her.

1) Where did Ophidian state this? And even if he did... pretty sure resisting the main power of an emotional entity on his own would still be a 2-C feat for Larfleeze.

2) Just read through issue #40 and #41, there was no mention of Ophidian or Larfleeze trapping an entity at all. So I'm kinda inclined to believe they were referring to Larfleeze himself.

3) I know we don't. They should be 2-C, as they imprisoned Parallax in Green Lantern Rebirth #3 and their collective energy matched Parallax's. I believe it was also stated that they matched Nekron in the beginning of the universe.

4) Meh, BL Spectre being above the Guardians just supports Hal being 2-C for being the only one capable of harming it.

Just corrected the citation. For the majority of its existence, the Avarice Entity has been sealed within the Orange Lantern Central Power Battery. It entices and lures its wielder into coveting the battery more than anything else in existence, even life itself. Larfleeze was so greedy, he could resist Ophidian's mind manipulation and use the battery for his own greedy purposes. This isn't an AP feat.

The Guardians are alluding to what Larfleeze possessed which was Ophidian.

All the Lanterns fighting Black Lantern Spectre broke his flesh in one shape or form, but they all agree that nothing is working.

Okay, then Larfleeze shouldn't be 2-C.

They damaged his body, yes. But Hal actually harmed him, as staking him through the chest made Spectre scream in pain. Nothing was working in terms of putting him down (until Parallax), but Hal was still capable of causing it actual harm.

@Firestorm808

Thank you for helping out. What do you think that we should do here?

I asked ClassicNESFan and C2 for their input.

Although just to be clear, since you didn't respond to some of my points, does that mean you're fine with them?

The energy of a main power battery without an entity is at most Galaxy level, and the lanterns, including Hal, couldn't stop it individually.

• Green Lantern Vol 4 #25 January 2008
    • The energy of detonating the Yellow Power Battery and Warworld could destroy the entire Milky Way Galaxy.
    • All the surviving Green Lanterns needed to combine their energy to contain the explosion.

Firestorm808 said:
It's arguing against 2-C Hal Jordan as he was one of the survivors.
That's only one feat though, against five examples of him being 2-C. And that same issue has the Guardians of the Universe, which are consistently shown to be beneath a peak Hal, being able to harm a 2-A, the Anti-Monitor. And unless I just missed it, there was no galaxy busting bomb that all the GLs had to stop.

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
Yeah, that's two speedsters at once. Hal's shown more than once to be capable of easily reacting to/scaling to a single speedster, whether that be Barry (even when amped), Zoom or Jay.

The only feat of Barry himself on his profile is the attosecond reaction time thing.

Sinestro Corps War had a weakened Anti-Monitor, and the Galaxy busting explosion was intentionally used to hurt said Weakened Anti-Monitor.

Can you elaborate on how the Guardians of the Universe are consistently shown to be beneath Hal?

The Guardians were able to harm him before that though, and other fodder Lanterns were fighting him long before that.

The BL Spectre thing, for one. Hal was the only one to cause it pain, and it was stated to be stronger than the Guardians there. He harmed Superboy-Prime, while a Guardian self-destructing only knocked SBP out of the universe. Sayd stated that Hal can power the entire Blue Lantern Corps, which should include him. And him harming Krona (a Guardian) + Ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back