• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Better Clarifications for Powers & Abilities?

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
I was wondering, could we add better clarification for the more powerful abilities like Reality Warping that are on characters pages.

Like Chakravarti, his page says Reality Warping but thats it. It be better if we go into more detail about these types of abilities so people know how good they are with them. Sometimes you would have vs matches where someone would say "oh he has Reality warping!" And? How dose the person use it, is it for combat, has he shown high levels of it. Kurama (Kyübi) has Ressurection on his page but we dont know how long it will take him to comeback. Same with powers like Mind Manipulation, Soul Manipulation and all the other very powerful powers. This isn't just about vs matches, it would allow people who look up the character to know what they have done with these abilities.

We do it for Immortality and Regenerationn.

There are different levels of these powers and it would be better if the people that know the verse could write in detail about how the person uses it or what level its at or even saying they should have the same level as another character who has shown a type of level of the power. I'm not asking for like the ultimate discription for every power like Element Manipulation or any small power like that.

I know this would take some time since there are a lot of characters like this and I'm not saying this must be done but it would give people who don't know about the character some good insight about their power.

Not all characters are like this and actually have discriptions about their these powers

What do you all think, is this just a waste of time or do you think this is a good idea?

I think this could be used for characters with extremely specific or limited amounts of Reality Warping. For example, if a character can warp objects into reality but not people, then that should be specified. If a person can warp reality on a complex multiverse level, then that should also be specified.

It's something worth talking about, but if there's a description of a characters ability to warp reality, then it's probably not necessary.

Yeah, if characters already have descriptions then their fine but if they have different types of limitations then it should be specified.

Obviously a 5D characters reality warping should be better then a 3D characters reality warping but if we where comparing two 5D characters who both have Reality Warping and no description. How do we even know who is better.

I think every ability should be explained sufficiently as long as its not a standard example of a mundane ability like Regenerationn but this does not occur for a multitude of reasons.

Well we already have levels of regen but I believe I have seen some characters in the past who have Regenerationn but no level.

Another character is Mundus (Devil May Cry). He has Reality Warping and Creation, it says he created a universe but what does he do with his Reality Warping. Or does Reality Warping fall under his creating a universe as well?.

We also got Nagato (Pain) who has Mind Reading and Soul Removal (via Human Path) and that's it. It should be noted that he needs to make physical contact or else someone who doesn't know a lot about him would think he can do it from a distance.

TheMightyRegulator said:
Yes, Edo Nagato used it in battle. I don't recall him using it without contact though.
We where talking about Mundus's Reality Warping and if he used it in combat not Pain's Soul Ramoval, I edited that part in after I wrote the Mundus part but yes Nagato touched Naruto.

Hey now, I'm just the goof who stumbled into the conversation. You're the one he was actually speaking to. Also, I'm sure he knew I was there with him in spirit 😀

TheMightyRegulator said:
Hey now, I'm just the goof who stumbled into the conversation. You're the one he was actually speaking to. Also, I'm sure he knew I was there with him in spirit 😀
LOL, I gotta watch out for ghosts now

Well, I obviously wouldn't mind if people gave better descriptions of abilities within the characters profiles, but the staff are not able to revise them in this regard.

I am also not certain how to adjust, for example, the reality warping ability page to different levels, but Reppuzan might have an idea.

If you simply want some sort of regulation that encourages people to write better specifics for the degrees of abilities, then I suppose that is doable, but the powers and abilities sections may not be the best place for it, as they are supposed to be concise. It can be described more in-depth in abilities lists further down the page however.

@Antvasima

Well like I said I don't want a large description, I just think people can add a little more than just the power to the characters profile, if they do then there would be no need to write different levels of reality warping on the Reality Warping page because we can see the characters level on their page

For example:

Powers and Abilities: Reality Warping, Mind Manipulation, Soul Removal

I would like it if people did this

Powers and Abilities: Reality Warping (shaped the universe in his own image), Mind Manipulation (controlled and erased the mind's of over a 1,000 people at once), Soul Removal (can rip the soul out form a person with his bare hands)

As you can see whoever looks up the character would get a better understanding and now no what level the character is at.

This would also help so if someone tried to compare two characters in a fight or whatever.

For example:

Character A

Tier 3

Powers and Abilities: Reality Warping (shaped the universe in his own image)

Vs

Character B

Tier 3-A

Powers and Abilities: Reality Warping (put a mouth on a chair)

As you can clearly see character a has the superior reality warping but if they had no description, the argument would be "oh he has reality warping" and then "so he has it to" not know that character B's is garbage compared to character A's.

If a character specifically can't use their reality warping on humans or has a specific range or the needs to make contact to remove a persons soul then that obviously needs to go on their weaknesses so people will know.

I not saying we should force people to do this but it's annoying to not know the limitations or degrees of a persons abilities.

Also Ant, what do you mean by the staff are unable to revise a profile in this regard? If they know the verse wouldn't they be able to add a description or add a weakness to the character.

I mean that there are around 11500 character profiles in this wiki, and we do not know much about most of them, which is necessary to revise them in the suggested manner. In addition, even if we did, we do not remotely have the time to do so.

Some sort of brief suggestion in the Editing Rules page might be an idea though.

I feel like explaining a power is only necessary when the power has specific uses. Like, one doesn't need to explain something related to Fire Manipulation or Duplication. But one does need to explain what a character can do with his Mind Manipulation.

A problem, however, arises when doing this for every individual power makes the Powers and Abilities section look incredibly overstuffed and tedious to read.

Like, look at Bernkastel's page. Each and every one of her powers is given an explanation, and it just looks tedious to read (Especially before Promestein trimmed it down).

Note that I haven't read the rest of the thread, I'm just giving my opinion.

Oh! Now I see, well I admitted this would take time and I didn't want to sound like I was trying to make demands, my apologies.

A suggestion sounds fine to me.

"Please try and give a small explanation when adding a Power or Ability to a characters profile especially for ones such as Reality Warping, Void Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation exc. This will give a better understanding for others who are unfamiliar with the character. Also, if the characters have certain limitations to their powers please write the specifics on their weaknesses."

Is this good?

Should their also be something, like

"If you see a power or ability on a character that you know that doesn't have description that you believe needs one, please write a brief description next to it and if their is a limitation/Weakness to it please specifi it on the characters weakness"

People do make content revisions when they what to add big abilities but as you can see from the characters I talked about above, in my other posts. They don't have descriptions about their powers. Obviously if the characters page is locked then you should make a content revision thread.

LordGriffin1000 said:
"Please try and give a small explanation when adding a Power or Ability to a characters profile especially for ones such as Reality Warping, Void Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation exc. This will give a better understanding for others who are unfamiliar with the character. Also, if the characters have certain limitations to their powers please write the specifics on their weaknesses."
I suppose that something like this might be an idea, but would prefer more staff input first.

The Everlasting said:
I feel like explaining a power is only necessary when the power has specific uses. Like, one doesn't need to explain something related to Fire Manipulation or Duplication. But one does need to explain what a character can do with his Mind Manipulation.

A problem, however, arises when doing this for every individual power makes the Powers and Abilities section look incredibly overstuffed and tedious to read.

Like, look at Bernkastel's page. Each and every one of her powers is given an explanation, and it just looks tedious to read (Especially before Promestein trimmed it down).

Note that I haven't read the rest of the thread, I'm just giving my opinion.
This is what I'm saying. Lower powers don't really need a description, now if the person could only sustain his clones for 5 minutes exacly then that should be noted on his weaknesses or could only make a single clone at a time then next to Duplication it should say (can create a single clone of himself).

The big powers should at least a brif description.

Do you have any suggestions for how to word a possible regulation The Everlasting?

Perhaps you can have types for powers?

For example:

Reality Warping:

Type 1: Can warp objects into reality from nothing

Type 2: Warp reality to a limited extent (limited by range, situation, etc)

Type 3: Can warp reality on a universal level (time, space, etc)

Type 4: Can warp reality on a hyperversal level

And so on

Pyrokinesis

Type 1: Can control already existing fire

Type 2: Can produce fire

Type 3: Can manipulation fire on an atomic level

Etc

I think that this is something more suited for versus threads tbh. Adding reasoning for some/most abilities just makes the profile crowded IMO.

Their are several profiles that I've seen that are very long because they explain a lot of things. This isn't only about Vs matches as I said up top it will give people a better understanding about characters powers and where they stand. Some characters have limits to their powers but we don't know what they are. This site measures characters statistics, powers and abilities allowing others to see but if a person look at profile that just says "Reality Warping, Mind Manipulation, Time Manipulation and Soul Manipulation" they or at least they might wounded how these powers work.

I've already agreed to just writing a brief suggestion on the editing rules instead of going over every single profile.

I just think it would be better to know more about how characters powers and abilities work.

Back