• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Beerus' speed.

SchutzenDunkelZiel1217 said:
Rocks75 said:
Well, Beerus never heard about the planet Earth, and Earth is in his universe, so I would say Whis flew through a distance spanning four galaxies in roughly half an hour.
.But DBZ has only four galaxies right....
It had more, but majin buu blew them all up.

Dexteradon12 said:
Rocks75 said:
Well, Beerus never heard about the planet Earth, and Earth is in his universe, so I would say Whis flew through a distance spanning four galaxies in roughly half an hour.
and wheres your evedince to that?

Dbfan and critic said:
Dexteradon12 said:
Rocks75 said:
and wheres your evedince to that?
One of the kais said that if majin buu wasn't stopped, he would destroy the remaining galaxies in "a few short years". He was rampaging around for thousands of years before being sealed up.

Rocks75 said:
Well, as I promised, I will do a calc about Beerus' speed after the speed feat he got in the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.
Alright, let's start.

Beerus destroyed half of planet, then he outran the explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_zJ2RQnxo

As you guys can see there is two planets on panel in that video, one is the planet that Beerus destroyed in half and the other planet is the Jupiter-like.

To giving some idea the distance between the planet that Beerus destroyed in half and the Jupiter-like planet, I used this:

http://www.planetsedu.com/distances-between-the-planets/

The less distance between two planets as you guys can see, is between Venus and Earth.

The distance between Venus and Earth is 0.28 AU, which means 41,887,404 km.

Then, to calculate the low end speed for Beerus, he took 5 seconds to crosse the distance between the planet that he destroyed in half and the Jupiter-like planet.

Speed of Light: 299,792 km/s

41,887,404 km / 5 = 8,377,480.8 km/s

299,792 km/s x 27 = 8,094,384 km/s

Result: Beerus is almost 28 times faster than light.

What do you think guys about this?
He's much faster than this though I doubt he's even at 50% power here

Actually, he got a Massively FTL+ feat in last Dragon Ball Super episode.

All right. I will adjust Beerus travel speed, but I agree with Joseph that assigning the characters MFTL+ combat speed based on their flying speeds seems like extremely counter-intuitive loose speculation, and a very illogical jump in power. I would much rather wait and see. There are 98 or so episodes of DBS ahead. There will be plenty of time for actual combat movement feats.

To clarify: I like Dragonball fine, and think that the new series is a big improvement in quality compared to the old anime series, but I dislike assigning potentially very inaccurate statistics.

Also, why did Goku choose to fly back over Snake Way when rushing to intercept Vegeta and Nappa during the Saiyan saga? Given that he was in an extreme hurry, and his friends were dying, shouldn't he have logically used the swiftest method?

Snake Way is curved, he couldn't run it in a straight line, he cut his travel distance basically in half by flying. Although, personally I believe he just flies faster in general, too.

Well, the point is that combat needs at least as great a deal of back and forth movements as running does, even running along a curved path.

Anyway, thanks for backing me up.

Thanks Antvasima for agreeing.Imo there's no reason to rush and give feats to Beerus which he hasn't shown yet (MFTL combat speed), Since there has been a huge jump for travel speed for DB characters (from relativistic to MFTL+),we shouldn't convert that for combat speed as well. There has never been such a big power jump in DBZ before so we should wait more to see if the combat feats are actually consistent with the travel speed. Speculation is not enough

How exactly does one have a mftl punching feat? His fist traveled from the sun and back in .1 seconds or something? Because if we are looking for a statement here akira is never going to say that goku is mftl, it just won't happen. He doesn't think about that kind of stuff when writing.

Well, we could wait for a running feat or something similar. Anyway, given that even fictional normal human astronauts have frequently been able to manoeuvre MFTL+ spaceships, and fictions such as Marvel make a massive official difference between flying speed and movements speed, it intuitively feels wrong to mix up the two concepts for me.

Actually, hold on. Flying does take the reactions to move. It's not like he's stopping and looking for where he needs to go, he's actually FLYING there, so he has to maneuver himself to his next destination, and he'd done so perfectly. So why doesn't he have the reactions to fit the bill. I highly doubt he doesn't have to react to things in space while moving at MFTL speeds, for one thing.

It would make no sense why he doesn't have said ability.

Also usually those space crafts have systems that give the pilots the information ahead of time. So they can react accordingly to a system of probability through their instruments. That's easy enough to understand.

Well, that is the only point that I consider good and relevant to this discussion. However, given that he travels much swifter than light, his sight would be useless and he would have to rely on other fictional senses that home in on and convey information in place of the computers. In addition, given just how ridiculously small a part of the void of outer space that is taken up by physical matter, I think that the risk of bumping into something by accident is minimal, and that his durability would enable him to survive any potential collissions. I think that the only part that this applies to is when he brakes for the destination.

In addition, there is the massive jump in tiers between relativistic to sudden MFTL+ speed between the Buu saga and BoG for Goku and Vegeta.

Antvasima said:
Well, that is the only point that I consider good and relevant to this discussion. However, given that he travels much swifter than light, his sight would be useless and he would have to rely on other fictional senses that home in on and convey information in place of the computers. In addition, given just how ridiculously small a part of the void of outer space that is taken up by physical matter, I think that the risk of bumping into something by accident is minimal, and that his durability would enable him to survive any potential collissions. I think that the only part that this applies to is when he brakes for the destination.
UH... this is fiction, the bloody fact that he can fly through space without protective suits, and isn't killed by the poison of being in a vacuum is enough to make people cringe. We're already past the sight based crap being even a little relevant, his reactions have to fit the bill. Collisions do not matter, what matter is the fact that he knows where the **** he's going when the planet he wishes to travel to is a few solar systems/galaxies over. It's kinda like driving a damned car, if you can't react to the situation at hand, you're not gonna drive it well and you're going to crash into the many obstacles in your way, even if going at the relative speed of the car itself, you still need those reactions.

Hmm. I am uncertain either way. It still feels wrong to me to mix up flight and movement, and to so quickly go from relativistic to MFTL+, especially given that we have no evidence of their movements being anywhere near that high, but you do have a good point about the reaction speed once Whis or Beerus close in on a world. Would it be acceptable to change the reactions only to MFTL+, or do you think that we should change the movements as well?

It should be MFTL for both either way. *shrugs* They still need the ability to react. You think they're moving in a straight path, but they aren't. Think of it as similar to Sonic's ability to use the Light Speed Attack, he's still reacting fast enough to attack his enemies at light speeds. I like how this battle actually shows how that's done, even if non-canon, here's what I mea .

For those of you who didn't care to watch it or just called it fan-fiction in your minds, my point was. Though they were moving a FTL Speeds (because they were using the LSA) they were reacting to one anothers attacks during the LSA, so both their relative speeds were the same while reacting to one another at the same time. That's what flying at MFTL speeds is. You must have the reactions to be able to guide yourself at those speeds, still. Because you're literally moving at those MFTL speeds. Ask Superman. He knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Well, Superman is not able to run at anywhere near the speeds that he can fly as far as I am aware. That said, all right, I buy MFTL+ reflexes/reactions, but I am uncertain about movement speeds?

Antvasima said:
Well, Superman is not able to run at anywhere near the speeds that he can fly as far as I am aware. That said, all right, I buy MFTL+ reflexes/reactions, but I am uncertain about movement speeds?
I'm not talking about running-type movement speeds. They rely on flight far more than leg strength in running and leaping for it to be calculated accordingly. Just make it MFTL+ regardless of that, it doesn't matter considering the verse, pretty sure their legs strength can be made into singular dashes (due to their striking force) great enough to move at MFTL+ speeds regardless (when you dash you literally kick off the ground, you smash the ground underneath your foot to give you a huge boost in speed, but they don't do that, they propel themselves through ki, so it doesn't matter).

I can name maybe once in all of DBZ that any character ran anywhere instead of flying, and never in a fight scene. Running speed does not matter because everyone flys during fights, no exceptions.

Okay then. My experience still tells me that there tend to be huge discrepancies between movement and flying speeds for most franchises, and that fiction does not tend to be logical in this respect, but you have a good point, so unless somebody else has good counters to it, I will adjust the tiers back to MFTL+.

I wish your absolutes would stop being apparent, Dex. "No Exceptions" is what you say when you don't know what you're talking about. Especially given Uub who didn't have flight still fought and kept up with Goku (though he was holding back his true strength).

Davy0 said:
I wish your absolutes would stop being apparent, Dex. "No Exceptions" is what you say when you don't know what you're talking about. Especially given Uub who didn't have flight still fought and kept up with Goku (though he was holding back his true strength).
Keeping up with? Uub lost go goku in his base form. But fair enough, there was that one exception at the end of the series.

From what I've seen until we get more information. Goku is always in his Saiyan Beyond God Mode, bro.

Dragonball itself had multiple fights that happened on the ground. Again, sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Davy0 said:
From what I've seen until we get more information. Goku is always in his Saiyan Beyond God Mode, bro.
Dragonball itself had multiple fights that happened on the ground. Again, sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
Beyond Saiyan God mode? You mean, from after dragon ball z ended? From battle of the gods? And before you say something about where it is in the timeline, in DBZ super goku hasn't met bills yet, nor is he a super saiyan God, and super takes place right after Buu saga, and therefor after Gokus fight with uub. Right, I'm the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Goku planned on going ssj at the end of the fight but then realized that uub had lost already. If you'd like to point out fights on the ground where you have proof that none of the Z Fighters were using the lighter then air technique to move around like they do when flying, go ahead.

You don't even know what the f- No wait. Be civil here.

DB Super takes place before Pan is born, before the fight with Uub, and during the two arcs of God and Gods and also Resurrection of F. So what the hell are you talking about?

He hasn't even MET Uub yet, who had just been reborn from Kid Buu in that ten year period, after Kid Buu dies he is purified and made into a baby, thus how the hell would he have fought Uub in the time of Dragon Ball Super?

Please watch the language Davy0. You have generally been a useful contributor, but you still have to follow the rules.

I stopped. I really did. I hate people that don't know about the finer points of the series itself, yet fully wish to be combative against it as if they know exactly what they are talking about.

The Time Line of Dragon Ball Super is right after the defeat of Kid Buu. The SSJGod Arc was between that 10 year period.

Antvasima said:
Well, we could wait for a running feat or something similar. Anyway, given that even fictional normal human astronauts have frequently been able to manoeuvre MFTL+ spaceships, and fictions such as Marvel make a massive official difference between flying speed and movements speed, it intuitively feels wrong to mix up the two concepts for me.
There's no need to change back the combat speed to MFTL. Until Beerus is shown being fighting in space, or he travels around the earth several times in a small time frame like Flash during a fight, then we can give him MFTL combat speed

DBZ always had split speed stats (higher combat speed than travel speed), however it's possible that it might have been reversed this time. Gotenks had the best travel speed which was relativistic, whereas characters had FTL reaction time since saiyan saga. We shouldn't just hand over MFTL combat speed to beerus without any proof, should we?

I don't know. I also much prefer explicit proof, and find the sudden enormous jump in speed suspicious, but I cannot argue well against Davy0's point that they should need to be able to keep up in order to navigate and precisely brake for their destinations.

Of course, having perceptions that actually somehow keep up with MFTL+ travel (Against the laws of subjective time compression/moments dragging out towards infinity when approaching the speed of light, if I remember correctly?) would logically make the trips through outer space subjectively last millions or billions of years in the heads of the characters that travel so swiftly, which should drive them insane and catatonic, but that part tends to be glossed over.

I'd like to ask one thing. The whole MFTL thing came from Whis apprently treveling a distance spanning 4 galaxies in 26 minutes right. Well where was it stated that the distance he travelled spanned 4 galaxies. Can someone please tell me.

Actually I think it was based on hearsay/second hand sources regarding that he travelled from one end of the DB universe to the other in BoG. I now consider it to likely be incorrect much like yourself. If you have a better approximation, please inform me. However, regardless, travelling across galaxies in minutes should still be MFTL+.

I see. And we can't actually get an approximation. In the movie all we saw was Whis and Beerus traveling past multiple planets.

How exactly do we know that Whis and Beerus traveled across even one galaxy. I'd like to know where it was stated that he traveled from one end of the DB universe to the other even if it may be from a secondary source....

Somebody I don't remember mentioned that he travelled from the realm of the gods across the entire DB universe to Earth. There are so many hundreds of things to keep track of here over the months that I don't remember. It may be that they used teleportation to the regular universe and then flew from a more nearby spot a solar system away or so for all that we know. What do you suggest that we change this to instead?

Back