• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Beerus' speed.

Rocks75 said:
Well, Beerus never heard about the planet Earth, and Earth is in his universe, so I would say Whis flew through a distance spanning four galaxies in roughly half an hour.
.But DBZ has only four galaxies right....

SchutzenDunkelZiel1217 said:
Rocks75 said:
Well, Beerus never heard about the planet Earth, and Earth is in his universe, so I would say Whis flew through a distance spanning four galaxies in roughly half an hour.
.But DBZ has only four galaxies right....
In the Universe 7, yes.

Like I've said before, the diagram is a schematic one, not drawn to scale, but in order to give a rough idea as to the relative positions of locations in the DBZ Verse. Disagree with the calc.

Other than that, I agree with Rock's reasoning that all DBZ characters (at least Pre-BoG) have depicted faster Combat Speed than travel speed.

I'm not exactly sure about MFTL+, though. After all, Whis clearly used his staff to travel to King Kai's planet. He's definitely MFTL+ using the staff, not sure if he individual flight speed of that calibre. That makes Beerus' Travel Speed unreliable as well.

Lord Kavpeny said:
That makes Beerus' Travel Speed unreliable as well.
Why would be unreliable if Whis traveled 1 minute from Beerus' castle to the planet in 1 minute with his staff while Beerus took 1 minute and 40 seconds at most traveling from his castle to the planet. Oh come on Dragon Ball can't be MFTL?

How have they displayed higher movement than flying speed?

Yes. If somebody provides a good explanation I will change my mind.

Okay, but where is it stated that Goku runs swifter than he can fly?

Post King Kai's training Goku took 28 hours traveling 1,000,000 km in base (Snake road), that's mach 29+.

And he reacted Nappa's attack that is faster than Piccolo's moon bust attack that is quadruple digits, not to mention he blitzed Nappa, all in his base form.

But why would he fly, if he could have ran quicker, considering that he was in a hurry? Isn't that simply an inconsistency in the storytelling, since Toriyama doesn't worry too much about it?

I do believe Beeurs can be MFTL but the best thing to know that we need to wait for new eps for super and see what other things that overwite the events in the movies (Ie. Like how BoG is happening early)

Undylan said:
I do believe Beeurs can be MFTL but the best thing to know that we need to wait for new eps for super and see what other things that overwite the events in the movies (Ie. Like how BoG is happening early)
Why is that?

Rocks75 said:
Undylan said:
Why is that?
With the fact that the series is gonna re-tell the movies and since it's canon

Any events in the show that is different from Bog and Rof will overwrite the formers

Hmm, I see, is the same reason why OBD wants to wait before they can accept MFTL+ Beerus.

Rocks75 said:
Because Goku is faster flying than running, the same goes for Superman.
But that is my point. I think that most comicbook, manga, etcetera, characters cannot have their movement speeds scaled from their flying speeds. Mind you, that is mostly due to my experience with Marvel characters, but nevertheless.

Someone take a look at that ending, and look at those planets again, I couldn't quite catch people saying DBS didn't have MFTL feats without that staff. Why would Whis use his staff to traverse such a "tiny distance" with his staff if Beerus could have just flown there in "2 minutes and 20 seconds". Hell he didn't even move by the time Whis was talking about the time, he was sitting back and chillaxing. AND IT WAS A CASUAL FEAT!

Oh. I forgot something. - http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=26376

Rocks75 said:
Because Goku is faster flying than running, the same goes for Superman.
Who said that... It's easier to get to places when you fly, that ha snothing to do with movement speeds. Unlike the Flash, these guys can't just run on air. Considering the feat he did when he was only Kid Goku in touching the Stratosphere and he's a trillion times stronger and than some than that... Anyway yeah, it's flight, it's not faster it's just a more convenient, less irritating way to travel.

Well, speaking generally for fictional characters, they tend to be able to fly much swifter than they can move. For example, the official Marvel handbooks list lots of characters at MFTL+ flying speed while only having slightly superhuman movement speeds. In addition, there is the constant coordination and redirection of momentum issue for constant movements back and forth for combat speed. Anyway, I disagree with the recent placing of DB characters at MFTL+ combat speed until I get some solid proof of that it is comparable.

Rib78 wrote:
Surely the reason that flight is often faster than running is that they draw from different sources of energy. Running speed tends to draw from the energy is the character's muscles whereas flight tends to draw directly from whatever supernatural energy they make use of, and, flight applies that energy 100% in the intended direction whereas running applies the energy against the ground and sparcely.
In fairness, if a character can fly faster than they can run, then their running speed is basically irrelevant anyway.

Rib78's explanation about why flying would faster than running is logical in my opinion....

Remember that that staff is made to cover Massive Lightyear distances. They didn't really change anything about the characters overall abilities, and it was flying past multiple planets at extreme speeds until it finally disappeared into the void. Next time, when the God of Destruction says he's a lazy ass, just believe him. It's that simple.

It's during arguments like this I which in dragon ball super they make statments like these (oh light speed travel we're that fast (since insert arc here) Or oh Beerus can casually blow up a solar system then he's casually on par with cell or Majin Buu) Just to end these arguments though the chances of these statments appering are slim to none and they'd just be said to be hyperboles anyways

Immediately stop quoting each other and reply normally. It spams the page and makes it unreadable. I would also appreciate if Orphanim stops using generalising hostile terms when addressing people within this wiki.

Okay. Returning to the topic: We need concrete proof that Dragonball is different from most other fiction in the movement speed is swifter or equal to flying speeds.

No problem. You have othervise been a useful contributor in general Davy.

Beerus flew to the alien planet in 80 seconds while Whis took 60. Which means Beerus is 3/4 as fast as Whis. MFTL+ travel speed alright

However, I don't agree on giving Beerus the same combat speed, despite knowing that in DBZ combat speed is always >>> travel speed (plenty of characters reacted to Piccolo's lightspeed special beam cannon even though their flight speed was hypersonic at best, even SSJ3 Gotenks was only MHS-low relatisvistic).

I don't want this forum to look biased towards DBZ, so it's best to give MFTL+ travel speed to Beerus, we should wait until we get more combat feats

We aren't biased toward Dragon Ball, if we should be biased, we would put Cell at solar system level.

Just saying, we shouldn't handle MFTL+ combat speed to Beerus and Co as there has been a huge jump in power level recently, because they were only FTL in combat speed before. We should wait for more feats to see how it works out. It's hard to believe Goku and Vegeta would have billions of times FTL combat speed even though they're just above lightspeed before

Before Beerus and Whis appeared, DBZ was pretty weak in speed department, so we shouldn't get overwhelmed by a couple of feats...

Dude There's one huge flaw in the MFTL Combate speed Beerus That would mean an angered SSJ 2 Vegetas combat speed would rocket to MFTL as well

Rocks75 said:
We aren't biased toward Dragon Ball, if we should be biased, we would put Cell at solar system level.
Y-yeah ... Rocks correct. I love almost all of DB (except for the battles of DBZ and everything about DBGT that got repetitive after a while). But I will fight if I hear somethings BS.

I do think that if Combat Speed = Faster than flight and it has always been that way, just make it that way. We already have enough proof in that pudding right there.

Beerus wasn't even fighting at 20% against Z fighters, Vegeta being angered took Beerus by surprise.

Yup, that's preciously why we should wait, so that we can know for sure that the feats are not PIS or inconsistent. I know they're not, but waiting is the best thing to do now

Dbfan and critic said:
Dude There's one huge flaw in the MFTL Combate speed Beerus That would mean an angered SSJ 2 Vegetas combat speed would rocket to MFTL as well
Uh... That was very clearly PIS. After his anger ended, he was just as helpless as the other Z fighters (sans Goku) against Beerus. There are times when PIS comes in fiction, hell, we have Jobbers who aren't supposed to lose against certain opponents losing in American Comics all the time. SQUIRREL GIRL comes to mind when PIS shows its weary head in American Comics.

Back