• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Avatar's in the Avatar State are missing some hax

https://www4.****************/episode/avatar-the-last-airbender-season-2-episode-19/?server=mystream

For starters, what happens when an Avatar enters the Avatar State?

Well, there is a lot, but only 3 out of the 7 are relevant here. Starts at 7.30

1. The Earth Chakra= This is blocked by fears, and thus to clear it, you have to release all fears and essentially not allow fear to corrupt you; When Avatars enter the Avatar State, they don't feel fear anymore and won't let fear take them over. This would be resistance to Fear Manipulation
2. Fire Chakra. The Fire Chakra deals with willpower and is blocked by shame. By releasing this chakra, the Avatars willpower is set free and unbendable = Resistance to Willpower Manipulation
3. Light Chakra. Deals with insight and is blocked by illusions. The Avatar lets go of illusions and cannot be tricked by them = Resistance to Illusions

While we are on resistances, in the AS, the Avatar should have resistance to the other elements. The Avatar is a defense mechanism activated when the Avatars life is in danger, which is why he resisted bloodbending. That in and of itself should also be resistance to water manipulation, and the other elements logically.

In the official ATLA YouTube channel, we learn of a few other abilities. While it is just a YouTube channel, the things they bring up do make sense. For one, Airbenders can manipulate soundwaves with airbending, they can manipulate their own body tempreture (which is why Aang didn't feel cold in the first episode at all despite not wearing warm clothing like Katara and Sokka), and Airbenders have silent movement. This should scale to Avatars in general since they learn Airbending eventually.

Finally for resistances, The Avatar should have resistance to power nullification and Soul Manipulation: This is due to the Lion Turtle saying "In order to bend another's spirit, your own spirit must be unbendable". https://***************.to/Comic/Av...of-the-Animated-Series/TPB-Part-1?id=153973#2 In the Avatar Guides it's also stated that Aang has indomitable will, so, there's some extra evidence there.

Beyond this, the Avatar should have Non-Physical Interaction. This is an obvious one and I don't know why it wasn't applied ages ago. Avatars can interact with spirits and the such, easy.
Possession via allowing past avatars to take control of your body. This was also shown in the cartoon a few times.

I don't have it on me right now, but in the Avatar State, Avatar Kyoshi could heal, so that should scale to her and other Avatars in the AS. This was in the new Kyoshi novel.

A soft resistance to fear and will manip is ok I guess, though not 100% sold on it.

Definite no on resistance to illusion creation, as he was clearly talking about metaphorical illusions and not someone casting genjutsu on him.

Heat manip is also fine, we see this in the cartoon itself. Manipulation of soundwaves, doesn't sound unbelievable but we've never seen/heard this in the cartoon so I'm against adding this based on the video alone.

Resistance to power null and soul manip is a no. Again, the turtle was clearly talking about more metaphorical strength and not literal. And even at face value it wouldn't really equate as resistance to either, just that his "spirit was stronger".

NPI and Possession is fine.

When they mention sound waves in the video, they do gives us an example of it, with tenzin blowing the horn causing soundwaves across the area. Also there's resistance to the other elements while in the Avatar State, and kyoshi healing.

Also Wokistan was the one who mentioned resistance to soul and power null so he could probably explain it more.

When they mention sound waves in the video, they do gives us an example of it, with tenzin blowing the horn causing soundwaves across the area.
There have been some situations of that, but still none of them technically require sound manip to actually preform. But I don't particularity feel strongly for this either way.
Also there's resistance to the other elements while in the Avatar State, and kyoshi healing.
Is there an actual statement for this? Because it could just be "my bending is stronger than your bending" rather than "fire doesn't burn me because I glow" type of deal. And if there's a feat/statement for Kyoshi healing, sure, haven't read the novels myself so I don't know.
Also Wokistan was the one who mentioned resistance to soul and power null so he could probably explain it more.
I guess I'll wait for Wok to comment.

I'm a bit iffy on NPI due to spirits simply because I can't recall any that were actually intangible in either LOK or ATLA. Are there any examples showing this that I missed?

Definite no on resistance to illusion creation, as he was clearly talking about metaphorical illusions and not someone casting genjutsu on him.
In the Legend of Korra videogame, Korra actually does have a feat of escaping from an illusion that the villain casts on her. Though it's ambiguous whether this happens because of her simply fighting her way through, or because of Raava. Also, though the writers wrote the game's script, its canonicity is questionable.

I am fine with Ogbunabali's conclusions.

This is just a suggestion, but we should probably move ideas for Avatar revisions like this to this thread. We have discussed some things there already (some of this like Airbender abilities was also inserted into the original post), so it would be more beneficial in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back