• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Layer stuff

• In this thread, it was accepted that all avatars have soul resistance, and that eos Aang and pre-season 3 Korra have one layer above baseline resistance. However, I had completely forgotten about this bit of trivia that one of the writers had put on the Nickelodeon website back in the day. They state that Aang isn’t the first Avatar to use energybending, and that a “few” had used it. Since the number of avatars who knew the technique isn’t known, I think this should be two layers as a conservative estimate, since “even fewer” implies plural. So there would be 3 layers in total. A possible counterargument against this is that Aang was almost corrupted by Ozai’s bad spiritual energy, which is an anti-feat; however Aang wasn’t in the avatar state when he engaged in energybending. He was notably in the AS when he took away Yakone’s bending in TLoK.
  • In a recent episode of the Braving the Elements podcast, the Avatar creators confirmed that all benders have chi fields that a bloodbender must bypass if they want the move to work, which is why bloodbending isn’t commonplace. This would be a baseline resistance to Biological manipulation, body puppetry, and blood manipulation for every character (nonbenders have chi too, they just can’t use it, as seen when Ty Lee was able to chi-block Sokka and confirmed here.) In the Last Airbender, Katara is able to break free from Hama because her bending is stronger (1 layer). In Korra, Tarlokk is able to bloodbend without a full moon, something that Katara wasn’t powerful enough to do (2 layers. Katara states at one point that her bending becomes stronger at night). Amon is able to no-sell Tarlokk’s bloodbending. We also see later that Amon as a child was able to bloodbend his father who, like him, is a psychic bloodbender, unlike Tarlokk. Although Yakone had had his bending taken away at this point, Yakone still has chi in his body that should have allowed him to resist Amon’s psychic assault. What’s more, Tarlokk confirms that Amon is the strongest bender he’s ever known, which would include his father. This would make Amon’s bloodbending 4 layers for being above Yakone.

Now, the tricky part is where the avatar state’s resistance to bloodbending would fall under this. Aang was able to break free from Yakone’s bloodbending grip, which would logically place his resistance at 3 layers. This would mean that Amon would be able to successfully bloodbend an avatar who’s in the avatar state. This feels… wrong, as the narrative makes it feel like triggering the avatar state can fully negate bloodbending. The avatar state calls upon cosmic energy/Raava’s power and is not just using chi, so the argument could be made that an avatar in the state could resist bloodbending’s chi grip thanks to Raava's cosmic energy flooding their body. How this would react with body puppetry, bio manip, and blood manip from other verses would have to be reviewed through a case-by-case basis.

New abilities

• Magnetism Manipulation for earthbenders. According to The Lost Scrolls: Earth (which is considered canon, because it was written by one of the show writers), earthbenders can use magnetism to stick to walls and cling onto earth.

nq8hvfZUs9kIXoPQKbRajZGWDUhqcOADNdy89uw-dL-Ts22k-3AyIaGiZTkVDY0uHUB-F8jXM_OgDigFOfmlu6_jZu5_MohkciUeauBKL-HvUGbSj-ajX4wIC5k4w6XeQ7dMzKFQ5Z2wCZLolqyGP-0

• This next proposal I expect to be controversial, but I’m throwing it out there cause why not. It was accepted in this crt that Raava and Vaatu have abstract existence type 2 thanks to embodying light and darkness. Raava herself has stated that she and Vaatu have existed since the time itself began. According to the abstract existence page, both of them would obviously not fall under thoughts or informational existence, so both of them have conceptual existence for embodying darkness and light. The reason I bring this up is because of what Jinora did in the season 2 finale. Notably, the series creators were unsure of what she was doing, with Mike stating that she was gathering energy from the spirit world, and Bryan going further than that and stating that she was gathering pieces of Raava/all of the remaining light energy that was in the spirit world after Raava’s defeat.

HyH5pNRjr61g8gyyLX8R8_zKzmlFkinac3pUiy-msIdc4BcZ8yeaAc00NeJuQ8cONW69mwoZnzsEJ0TUNDKX68YZXPsBAGS-TmLkUcUABwJRTeIA1gy8s9lr5TklkhqDhwzoOWGwVqI35E1DwxlV2TI

Though Mike is open to Bryan’s idea in the end, both of them seem to regard Jinora’s light as falling under the umbrella of spiritual energy. Jinora essentially did the reverse of what is stated here on the abstract existence page.
TnlQjlv2M2Yl3VVSZeFnMbBhZzj1J4syyssAaf06zG21cuq0NnPaI_xPPw7Ts7xmHWkVNDasEakT73KuGvKEuWpzvjVU3AyMFFykiqSv8-xSe6G10wNfu-FUfw4ANtD62p3qxq_JQGgxwh0dITcWp5U
Instead of destroying the abstraction, she resuscitated it by gathering all that remained of Raava. If she had a profile on this site, this would give her concept manipulation during harmonic convergence. In the episode Beyond the Wilds, Raava tells Korra that she is capable of controlling all spiritual energy. This is proven true when Korra redirects the spirit energy from Kuvira’s cannon. Since light falls under spirit energy in the Avatarverse, this would mean that end of series Korra should be capable of Concept Manipulation by using energybending.

Last edited:
Well I agree with everything but I think the details of the cm application still need to be discussed, like Korra can do this but she probably doesn't know since she seemed to be unconscious while Unavaatu used spirit bending on her.

Well I agree with everything but I think the details of the cm application still need to be discussed, like Korra can do this but she probably doesn't know since she seemed to be unconscious while Unavaatu used spirit bending on her.
That's true. However, she will still conscious to see Jinora fly around and do stuff that she typically isn't able to, so she must have known that something unusual was happening. Also, Raava could tell her, since late book 4 Korra can more easily talk to Raava.

That's true. However, she will still conscious to see Jinora fly around and do stuff that she typically isn't able to, so she must have known that something unusual was happening. Also, Raava could tell her, since late book 4 Korra can more easily talk to Raava.
Raava telling her is valid but the problem is that the situations that would lead to Raava telling her probably involve Raava being weak and consequently not being able to communicate because of it.

Raava telling her is valid but the problem is that the situations that would lead to Raava telling her probably involve Raava being weak and consequently not being able to communicate because of it.
Well, this crt is just about whether the ability would be valid or not. Whether or not she would actually use it in matches is another matter. I think it would only come up if she was against an opponent who is struggling against Korra, but who Korra otherwise wouldn't be able to defeat. Cause you're right in that most situations where she would have to resort to it, her opponent would probably beat her beforehand.

The Layers and Magnetism stuff do check out, though I can't quite say much on their Abstract Existence

Last edited:
1. Why would the other past avatars having energy bending add layers to soul resistance?

2. Blood bending stuff looks alright.

3. I agree with the magnetism for earth benders.

4. I'm not sure on the Conceptual manipulation.

1. Why would the other past avatars having energy bending add layers to soul resistance?
Because in order to bend another's energy, your spirit has to be pure and unbendable, or else the energybending process will backfire. Which means that those previous avatars were able to pull it off. When it was just Aang out of the avatar state bending Ozai, there was the whole light show that occurred, indicating their internal spiritual battle. When Aang energybent Yakone, he was in the avatar state, so he had his past lives backing him up. Same with Korra; she went into the avatar state every time she energybent.

Which part about the conceptual proposal are you unsure about?

Last edited:
Because in order to bend another's energy, your spirit has to be pure and unbendable, or else the energybending process will backfire. Which means that those previous avatars were able to pull it off. When it was just Aang out of the avatar state bending Ozai, there was the whole light show that occurred, indicating their internal spiritual battle. When Aang energybent Yakone, he was in the avatar state, so he had his past lives backing him up. Same with Korra; she went into the avatar state every time she energybent.
I'm not too keen on that logic but if it's currently accepted then I guess it's fine.
Which part about the conceptual proposal are you unsure about?
The fact that the writers themselves don't give a "that's exactly what happened". It's like a possible interpretation which I guess can work. I'm just hesitant on using it but if others think it's alright then I guess it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back