• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Another Pokémon Vs Monster Hunter match.

I was inspired after listening to some Brandon Yates tracks so let's see a potential (future) death battle between two almighty dragons VSBW style!

Speed is equalized, SBA and both are:
5-A.

Kyurem has access to the original dragon form.

Battle takes place in the Secluded Valley giving Alatreon the home field advantage.

The music is obvious:

Now stand and FIGHT!

1598626876.leilryu_upl.png

Blazing Black Dragon:

VS

Incomplete Original Dragon: 2
Kyurem_Pokemon.jpeg

Inconclusive:

Last edited:
hmmm looks t be interesting
what are each starting attack
Both can be surprisingly random with their movesets but by going off wants being shown in canon:

*Alatreon spams a combination of AoE elemental attacks and dragon element infused melee attacks then it will eventually switch forms during the battle.

*Kyurem mainly uses its ranged ice type moves supplemented by either ranged fire or melee electricity (depending on which form it's using) and can change forms depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Hmmm, going off the profiles, Kyurem seems to be baseline 5-A from upscaling from reshiram/zekrom who are high end 5-B, so by default we would assume that Kyurem is baseline 5-A. This puts Alatreon's AP at roughly 8 times more than Kyurem's, which by wiki standards is a one shot.

Kyurem probably isn't even 5-A currently, likely due to an editing error when Deoxys' meteor feat was downgraded, resulting in several 5-A pokemon going down to 5-B, but I could be wrong on this.

Anyways, it's probably best to wait on this for a little, since Deoxys' meteor calc is currently being re-reviewed.

Hmmm, going off the profiles, Kyurem seems to be baseline 5-A from upscaling from reshiram/zekrom who are high end 5-B, so by default we would assume that Kyurem is baseline 5-A. This puts Alatreon's AP at roughly 8 times more than Kyurem's, which by wiki standards is a one shot.

Kyurem probably isn't even 5-A currently, likely due to an editing error when Deoxys' meteor feat was downgraded, resulting in several 5-A pokemon going down to 5-B, but I could be wrong on this.

Anyways, it's probably best to wait on this for a little, since Deoxys' meteor calc is currently being re-reviewed.
Would using the at least 5-A key for the original dragon make the battle fairer?

Probably, but it would make the AP difference an unquantifiable amount, considering it's a mon we've never seen before, and don't know just how much stronger it is than black/white kyurem.

I still stand what I said about waiting until the Deoxys meteor feat's re-evaluation concludes.

How aggressive is Kyurem? MH monsters as a whole seem more aggressive fighter than Pokémon.

How aggressive is Kyurem? MH monsters as a whole seem more aggressive fighter than Pokémon.
Kyurem wanted to basically kill Keldeo for merely getting to its territory in Movie 15 iirc, but I'm not sure of this only applies to him. Also that was base Kyurem who attacked Keldeo

Kyurem is pretty territorial and kinda just wants to be left alone but will get aggressive and will track down if provoked. This is consistent with game lore, manga, and movies.

Does Kyurem take this with Hax?
Given what was said here....
Both can be surprisingly random with their movesets but by going off wants being shown in canon:

*Alatreon spams a combination of AoE elemental attacks and dragon element infused melee attacks then it will eventually switch forms during the battle.

*Kyurem mainly uses its ranged ice type moves supplemented by either ranged fire or melee electricity (depending on which form it's using) and can change forms depending on the situation.
Kyurem will have some problems, presuming Alatreon is in one-shot range.

If The Original Dragon is an unquantifiable amount into 5-A, then it's a possible one-shot against Alatreon.... Heck, there are still some values where Alatreon could one-shot, lol. We don't know how much it helps.
Though, if Alatreon is just 8 times baseline 5-A, & Original Dragon is an unknown amount into 5-A, what about the "average" within 5-A? The high end to low end ratio would of 5-A is ~6111.5x there's around 3000 values higher than Alatreon's AP, & almost as many that are in one-shot range.

Anyway, as the posts I quoted mentioned, Kyurem's probably leading with Ice & Fire or Electricity.

So, likely moves include:

Glaciate: Normal Kyurem only. Kyurem attacks by blowing freezing cold air at opposing Pokémon. This lowers their Speed stat.

Ice Burn: White Kyurem only. Kyurem surrounds itself in a cold sphere of reddish energy that it then fires off as reddish-purple beams of energy. This may leave the target with a burn or freeze them solid.

Freeze Shock: Black Kyurem only. Kyurem charges up a massive electrically charged sphere of ice before firing it off. This may also leave the target with paralysis or freeze them and part of the surrounding ground.

(As well as Fusion Bolt or Fusion Flare. Plus Icy Wind, Blizzard & Sheer Cold. However, most of said other attacking moves lack notable or reliable effects. I'm not sure how valuable a drop in Alatreon's Speed via Icy Wind is & while freezing is devastating, game mechanics would say it only happens 10% of the time. Not to mention, Alatreon has Fire.)

Imprison: Using a psychic power, Kyurem creates a seal on itself that prevents its opponents from using any moves they share with it.

Kyurem DOES have Imprison, to prevent Alatreon from using any "moves" Kyurem also has, but IDK how likely it is to go for it, & would Alatreon still have options even after being Imprisoned?

Endeavor: Kyurem hits the opponent with a physical blow that reduces their health to match its own.

If Kyurem is that far behind in stamina or that damaged, Endeavor might be useful.

Scary Face: Base Kyurem only. Kyurem makes a scary face at the opponent, lowering their speed.

Are IQ Skills allowed in this match?

Kyurem absolutely demolishes. First of all, pokemon status effects work on souls, like paralysis inducement working on ghost types, and ghost Marowak. Same for ice and fire.

Kyurem usually starts off with ice manipulation, thats his whole gimmick. Kyurem in base could freeze Cobalion, and the other swords of justice. Both terrakion and Cobalion already have resistance to ice manipulation from their typing, and yet kyurem can freeze them. With teravolt and turboblaze, it makes it even better with resistance negation. It actually works on abstracts like the lake trio so it would be conceptual level freezing, but most people here disagree so no point elaborating

Without kyurems passive ability he already negates resistances, and with fused kyurem, gains even better resistance negation. Kyurem also has like planetary freezing range as well. Kyurem demolishes

Kyurem absolutely demolishes. First of all, pokemon status effects work on souls, like paralysis inducement working on ghost types, and ghost Marowak. Same for ice and fire.

Kyurem usually starts off with ice manipulation, thats his whole gimmick. Kyurem in base could freeze Cobalion, and the other swords of justice. Both terrakion and Cobalion already have resistance to ice manipulation from their typing, and yet kyurem can freeze them. With teravolt and turboblaze, it makes it even better with resistance negation. It actually works on abstracts like the lake trio so it would be conceptual level freezing, but most people here disagree so no point elaborating

Without kyurems passive ability he already negates resistances, and with fused kyurem, gains even better resistance negation. Kyurem also has like planetary freezing range as well. Kyurem demolishes
I'm unsure why you bring up what Status Effects can effect. I agree, they work on those types, but how likely those moves are to cause that status effect, is apparently not that very likely.
Also, the Rock & Fighting type Pokemon Terrakion does not resist Ice-type moves, although both Rock & Fighting type moves would do Super-Effective damage to an Ice-type Pokemon.

I am confident Kyurem could create a large amount of ice & likely quickly freeze solid something like Alatreon. How able Alatreon would be to thaw itself, I don't know. If anyone could provide info about Alatreon's capabilities in such regards, I'd appreciate it.
Though where does the Planetary Freezing Range come from?

There's also the issue that, as discussed above, Alatreon is significantly stronger:

Would using the at least 5-A key for the original dragon make the battle fairer?
Probably, but it would make the AP difference an unquantifiable amount, considering it's a mon we've never seen before, and don't know just how much stronger it is than black/white kyurem.

I still stand what I said about waiting until the Deoxys meteor feat's re-evaluation concludes.
Alatreon scales slightly below 22.4 Yottatons.

The Original Dragon scales massively above baseline 5-A.

Add in the fact both have stat amps/reduction and AP should be more or less comparable.

So as said, this may not even be Kyurem proper so much as The Original Dragon. It is also possible that TOD is weaker within 5-A than Alatreon, although, & slightly less likely that it's still in one-shot range.
Or TOD is able to one-shot Alatreon through AP itself; We don't know TOD's exact AP, AFAIK.

I'm unsure why you bring up what Status Effects can effect. I agree, they work on those types, but how likely those moves are to cause that status effect, is apparently not that very likely.
Also, the Rock & Fighting type Pokemon Terrakion does not resist Ice-type moves, although both Rock & Fighting type moves would do Super-Effective damage to an Ice-type Pokemon.

I am confident Kyurem could create a large amount of ice & likely quickly freeze solid something like Alatreon. How able Alatreon would be to thaw itself, I don't know. If anyone could provide info about Alatreon's capabilities in such regards, I'd appreciate it.
Though where does the Planetary Freezing Range come from?

There's also the issue that, as discussed above, Alatreon is significantly stronger:
So as said, this may not even be Kyurem proper so much as The Original Dragon. It is also possible that TOD is weaker within 5-A than Alatreon, although, & slightly less likely that it's still in one-shot range.
Or TOD is able to one-shot Alatreon through AP itself; We don't know TOD's exact AP, AFAIK.
The status effects almost always work, the 10% chance isn't literal. All pokemon just have a limited resistance to status effect. I mean almost all ice type attacks literally freeze things in less than a second.

From that profile, he would have to be able to thaw out of ice manipulation that works on souls and stuff so idk if he can

AP is completely irrelevant if kyurem can just freeze him before anything even starts, and kyurem does it in character. Kyurem was going to freeze unova and was stated to be able to destroy the world so likely planetary freezing maybe

The status effects almost always work, the 10% chance isn't literal. All pokemon just have a limited resistance to status effect. I mean almost all ice type attacks literally freeze things in less than a second.

From that profile, he would have to be able to thaw out of ice manipulation that works on souls and stuff so idk if he can

AP is completely irrelevant if kyurem can just freeze him before anything even starts, and kyurem does it in character. Kyurem was going to freeze unova and was stated to be able to destroy the world so likely planetary freezing maybe
Yes, we see Ice-type moves freeze stuff in the anime plenty of times.

But Pikachu's Thunderbolt doesn't always inflict Paralysis, nor does Charizard's Flamethrower inflict a Burn, or Seviper's Poison Tail inflict Poison, despite that there have been instances of the anime distinguishing status effects.
Nor do we see stuff like Meteor Mash or Metal Claw always raising the user's ATK or Ancient Power always trigger the "raise all stats" effect.

I can easily see Kyurem's Ice freezing a lot of stuff on the first hit, but in the absence of obvious evidence of how likely the secondary effect is to occur, the likelihood provided by the games is worth considering as at least a placeholder.

& while we do note that Pokemon resist some Status Effects (Like Kyurem having Resistance to Absolute Zero for being Ice-type, which Sheer Cold, the description of which says it uses absolute zero, can't affect. Kyurem also has Resistance to Water Manipulation, Grass Manipulation, and Electricity Manipulation listed for its type Resistances.), we don't list Limited Resistance to all Status Effects on Pokemon profiles, AFAIK.
If all Pokemon having such an unwritten set of Limited Resistances was officially approved in a CRT, I'd like a link to such a thread, please.

I don't see much reason to disagree with what you've said about Kyurem's ability to freeze Alatreon.

Yes, we see Ice-type moves freeze stuff in the anime plenty of times.

But Pikachu's Thunderbolt doesn't always inflict Paralysis, nor does Charizard's Flamethrower inflict a Burn, or Seviper's Poison Tail inflict Poison, despite that there have been instances of the anime distinguishing status effects.
Nor do we see stuff like Meteor Mash or Metal Claw always raising the user's ATK or Ancient Power always trigger the "raise all stats" effect.

I can easily see Kyurem's Ice freezing a lot of stuff on the first hit, but in the absence of obvious evidence of how likely the secondary effect is to occur, the likelihood provided by the games is worth considering as at least a placeholder.

& while we do note that Pokemon resist some Status Effects (Like Kyurem having Resistance to Absolute Zero for being Ice-type, which Sheer Cold, the description of which says it uses absolute zero, can't affect. Kyurem also has Resistance to Water Manipulation, Grass Manipulation, and Electricity Manipulation listed for its type Resistances.), we don't list Limited Resistance to all Status Effects on Pokemon profiles, AFAIK.
If all Pokemon having such an unwritten set of Limited Resistances was officially approved in a CRT, I'd like a link to such a thread, please.

I don't see much reason to disagree with what you've said about Kyurem's ability to freeze Alatreon.
Idk why the wiki doesn't grant limited resistance to status effects for pokemon. If someone uses mountain level electricity that should paralyze a normal person with no resistance. Same for ice moves which are cold enough to freeze instantly. And burning as well, I mean if you can make mountain level fire, that should logically set most things aflame

Idk why the wiki doesn't grant limited resistance to status effects for pokemon. If someone uses mountain level electricity that should paralyze a normal person with no resistance. Same for ice moves which are cold enough to freeze instantly. And burning as well, I mean if you can make mountain level fire, that should logically set most things aflame
I mean, as said, said Mountain-level Thunderbolts don't always paralyze other Pokemon, & when used on humans, they haven't been shown to inflict Paralysis, either. (Or if they have, I don't know when it happened.)

So there isn't precedent those Thunderbolts canononically do so reliably, on Pokemon, nor otherwise.

Also, from https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Attack_Potency :
Destructive Capacity is the term used to determine the amount of damage a character can produce. It is normally the deciding factor of VS matches along with Speed. It is measured in units of energy.

Be it with lasers or conjured rock launching or just smacking with your claw, Attack Potency is about the capacity to damage. Higher attack potency doesn't necessarily mean your fire is hotter, your ice is colder, or your electricity has higher wattage/voltage/amperes/whatever.

Not to mention, some might argue Pokemon status effects have symptoms atypical with typical versions of those. Like burn reducing ATK of the victim (Or when Skyla's Swanna turned glowing red from its burn.), or Paralysis making the victim periodically have electricity crackle near them, despite that a common definition of Paralysis doesn't feature that, or Poison making the Pokemon turn purple at its cheeks or such or have purple bubbles floating from above it.

If those are symptoms of a Limited Resistance or such, that's a topic for a CRT, not a Versus Thread like this, though.

I mean, as said, said Mountain-level Thunderbolts don't always paralyze other Pokemon, & when used on humans, they haven't been shown to inflict Paralysis, either. (Or if they have, I don't know when it happened.)

So there isn't precedent those Thunderbolts canononically do so reliably, on Pokemon, nor otherwise.

Also, from https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Attack_Potency :
Destructive Capacity is the term used to determine the amount of damage a character can produce. It is normally the deciding factor of VS matches along with Speed. It is measured in units of energy.

Be it with lasers or conjured rock launching or just smacking with your claw, Attack Potency is about the capacity to damage. Higher attack potency doesn't necessarily mean your fire is hotter, your ice is colder, or your electricity has higher wattage/voltage/amperes/whatever.

Not to mention, some might argue Pokemon status effects have symptoms atypical with typical versions of those. Like burn reducing ATK of the victim (Or when Skyla's Swanna turned glowing red from its burn.), or Paralysis making the victim periodically have electricity crackle near them, despite that a common definition of Paralysis doesn't feature that, or Poison making the Pokemon turn purple at its cheeks or such or have purple bubbles floating from above it.

If those are symptoms of a Limited Resistance or such, that's a topic for a CRT, not a Versus Thread like this, though.
Yeah but I don't think it needs to be stated on the kyurem profile to be used in this battle though

I get what you mean but... Pokemon do be kinda tanking ice moves which are moves so cold they freeze instantly.. I don't think what you said disproves anything at all. Also, kyurem doesn't just use moves to freeze, he just, freezes. And glaciate could freeze things instantly. Ice beam always freezes things, like almost everytime we see it, it just doesn't always freeze pokemon specially. Pokemon status effects are special, yes, I mean they work on a conceptual and spiritual level

Yeah but I don't think it needs to be stated on the kyurem profile to be used in this battle though
You don't think what needs to be stated? Do you mean its ability to freeze stuff?
I get what you mean but... Pokemon do be kinda tanking ice moves which are moves so cold they freeze instantly..
Not that I disagree with the premise you're presenting, but if you want to propose a Resistance, that's a topic for a CRT.
I don't think what you said disproves anything at all.
Which of what I said, if I may ask?
Also, kyurem doesn't just use moves to freeze, he just, freezes. And glaciate could freeze things instantly. Ice beam always freezes things, like almost everytime we see it, it just doesn't always freeze pokemon specially. Pokemon status effects are special, yes, I mean they work on a conceptual and spiritual level
I feel like I should check instances of ice beam in the anime, to see what it freezes, how much, etc. I'm unsure it freezes everything always.
Also, I'm not sure that we accept all species of Pokemon having Conceptual Manipulation via Status Effects for Pokemon other than the Lake Trio & Creation Trio + Arceus.
If Kyurem (Possibly along with other species of Pokemon.) does have Conceptual Manipulation via Status Effects, that seems notable enough that it should be on the profile.
There's also the question of if every Ghost Pokemon is a Spirit & that the Spirit itself is frozen when afflicted with the Freeze status. Some Ghost types are just possessing objects, & if the object serves as the body, then the spirit alone being unfrozen wouldn't be useful if it can't move the actual body it does stuff with. As such, it would be worth scrutinizing what Ghost type Pokemon have been frozen solid, & which can reasonably stated as having the Spirit frozen in those depictions.
But again, that's a topic for a CRT, if you'll pardon my saying so.

I apologize if my disagreements with you are unpleasant.

You don't think what needs to be stated? Do you mean its ability to freeze stuff?

Not that I disagree with the premise you're presenting, but if you want to propose a Resistance, that's a topic for a CRT.

Which of what I said, if I may ask?

I feel like I should check instances of ice beam in the anime, to see what it freezes, how much, etc. I'm unsure it freezes everything always.
Also, I'm not sure that we accept all species of Pokemon having Conceptual Manipulation via Status Effects for Pokemon other than the Lake Trio & Creation Trio + Arceus.
If Kyurem (Possibly along with other species of Pokemon.) does have Conceptual Manipulation via Status Effects, that seems notable enough that it should be on the profile.
There's also the question of if every Ghost Pokemon is a Spirit & that the Spirit itself is frozen when afflicted with the Freeze status. Some Ghost types are just possessing objects, & if the object serves as the body, then the spirit alone being unfrozen wouldn't be useful if it can't move the actual body it does stuff with. As such, it would be worth scrutinizing what Ghost type Pokemon have been frozen solid, & which can reasonably stated as having the Spirit frozen in those depictions.
But again, that's a topic for a CRT, if you'll pardon my saying so.

I apologize if my disagreements with you are unpleasant.
Ghost of marowak

Also pokemon can interact with the creation trio, and lake trio, plus yveltal and xerneas. Not all pokemon can scale to them but stronger ones can interact with them so conceptual level hax

So...

Are those votes for the boundary pokémon?

Also please don't derail the thread with stuff that's neither related to the match or hasn't been approved nor accepted by a CRT.
I suppose so. I mean, matters of AP aside, I'd guess that it's not unreasonable to believe that Kyurem would start with attempting to freeze solid its opponent -here, Alatreon- & in this case, succeeding.

& if Alatreon can't defrost itself (Or can't defrost itself FAST enough & Kyurem destroys the frozen Alatreon.), Alatreon loses, I'd presume.

Also to address @Imaginym argument of Kyurem's moveset, here's Alatreon's moveset.

Dragon Element: Nullifies the elemental properties of any attack, directly attacks the mind (deals more damage the more sentient the opponent is) and drastically reduces the likelihood of the opponent landing critical hits.

Ice Active Mode: Alatreon becomes immune to ice but weak to fire (naturally fire active mode has the reverse effect while Dragon active mode is neutral).

Elemental Blights: Waterblight increases stamina usage (similar to the ability pressure), iceblight decrease the natural ability to recover stamina, fireblight deals gradual damage, thunderblight drastically increases the likelihood of stunning the opponent with any attack and dragonblight (already explained by the dragon element) furthermore these blights can stack with each other.

Horns and Wings: Essentially functions as a scaled down spacial rend.

Resilience: Can still function even after being slain and turned into weaponry/armour (it can also survive the crushing depths of the ocean abyss despite not being an aquatic monster).

Misc:

*Has most of the P&A of these three monsters (base variations).

*Has limitless stamina.

*Rage power/stat amp is a 2x boost.

Also vote counted!

EDiT: IQ skills are banned since they're likely getting nuked soon.

Last edited:
Also to address @Imaginym argument of Kyurem's moveset, here's Alatreon's moveset.

Dragon Element: Nullifies the elemental properties of any attack, directly attacks the mind (deals more damage the more sentient the opponent is) and drastically reduces the likelihood of the opponent landing critical hits.

Ice Active Mode: Alatreon becomes immune to ice but weak to fire (naturally fire active mode has the reverse effect while Dragon active mode is neutral).

Elemental Blights: Waterblight increases stamina usage (similar to the ability pressure), iceblight decrease the natural ability to recover stamina, fireblight deals gradual damage, thunderblight drastically increases the likelihood of stunning the opponent with any attack and dragonblight (already explained by the dragon element) furthermore these blights can stack with each other.

Horns and Wings: Essentially functions as a scaled down spacial rend.

Resilience: Can still function even after being slain and turned into weaponry/armour (it can also survive the crushing depths of the ocean abyss despite not being an aquatic monster).

Misc:

*Has most of the P&A of these three monsters (base variations).

*Has limitless stamina.

*Rage power/stat amp is a 2x boost.

Also vote counted!

EDiT: IQ skills are banned since they're likely getting nuked soon.
Looks fodder

Teravolt gg

Doesn't dragon element turns all Kyurem's ice, electric and fire attacks in neutral ones?
I'm not voting because I don't know Alatreon, I just wanted to ask that.

Doesn't dragon element turns all Kyurem's ice, electric and fire attacks in neutral ones?
Teravolt and Turboblaze nullify abilities that would change kyurems attacks including resistance so i don't think it matters

Yes dragon element nullifies the elemental properties of any attack (Mr Bambu can likely go into more depth in case my explanation is missing anything).
Teravolt and Turboblaze nullify abilities that would change kyurems attacks including resistance so i don't think it matters
That's not how it works, Teravolt/Turboblaze nullifies the abilities of the opponent that would've otherwise prevent damage such as Kyurem's fusion flare bypassing flash fire or fusion bolt bypassing motor drive (iirc).

Yes dragon element nullifies the elemental properties of any attack (Mr Bambu can likely go into more depth in case my explanation is missing anything).

That's not how it works, Teravolt/Turboblaze nullifies the abilities of the opponent that would've otherwise prevent damage such as Kyurem's fusion flare bypassing flash fire or fusion bolt bypassing motor drive (iirc).
It just nullifies abilities in general, its just power null. And how does it work? What is his ice or electricity gonna turn into?

It just nullifies abilities in general, its just power null. And how does it work? What is his ice or electricity gonna turn into?
They would become type-less similar to when a fire type mon uses Burn out (I think that's the name of the move). It actually doesn't stop the damage but it nullifies it's elemental properties.

They would become type-less similar to when a fire type mon uses Burn out (I think that's the name of the move). It actually doesn't stop the damage but it nullifies it's elemental properties.
Can it affect absolute zero? And ice that can affect souls like ghost types? Also iirc the tm lock was removed from pokemon sooo kyurem gets a lot more abilities not yet on the profile

Can it affect absolute zero? And ice that can affect souls like ghost types? Also iirc the tm lock was removed from pokemon sooo kyurem gets a lot more abilities not yet on the profile
I mean Sheer Cold is still an (ice) elemental attack so yes, affecting ghost types is just a NPI feat (plus Alatreon has it's own soul manipulation) and until it's applied to the profile, TMs are currently inapplicable to this match.

Also you've already voted my dude.

Back