• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Touhou's Cosmology, and 2-C Feats

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will likely be my last Touhou thread before returning to the research grindset, but seeing as this will lay the groundwork for some important stuff in the future, I thought it best to get it out of the way now.

Where We Are Now

The basis of Touhou's cosmology starts with the split between Gensokyo and the Outside World. For most of history, the two occupied the same space, but Gensokyo was later separated from the Outside World, establishing a "new world" with its own distinct flow of time and laws of physics. The Outside World is a place where phenomenon like the big bang and brane theory have been observed and proven, not to mention it is a direct analogue to the "real world", so it should be low 2-C in size. Gensokyo, however, has only ever been shown to have a mountain to island sized scope, and wouldn't be low 2-C.

Then there's the Netherworld, a place which was it's own Otherworld (as Otherworlds are any realm outside the Earth and Moon) and is infinite in size. Otherworlds are stated to be other dimensions, and are repeatedly demonstrated to have their own space-times, meaning an infinitely sized one such as this should be low 2-C. Supporting this to a minor extent is the notion that physics act differently in the Netherworld, as demonstrated by how sound travels more slowly there.

What's Being Changed

First and foremost, our current 2-C standards claim that two space-times that shared a prior point in time (eg; branching timelines) do not qualify for separate low 2-C spaces, and thus merging them cannot be 2-C. This is an obvious problem for Gensokyo and the Outside World, given the two's shared history (as well as Gensokyo's non-universal size).

But this is where the Netherworld comes in. During the events of Perfect Cherry Blossom, the barrier separating it from Gensokyo is destroyed, something described as "thinning the barrier between worlds", and allowing people to come and go as they please. Or, to put it another way, what were once two separate space-times were merged into one, now infinite space-time. However, this has another, bigger effect; The Netherworld, prior to PCB, was always its own space-time separate from the Outside World. This means it shares no past with it, and the newly merged Gensokyo/Netherworld would be considered its own distinct low 2-C space in comparison. This is a little confusing, so here's a small graph explaining what I mean:
image.png

How this Affects the Scaling

To start simple, Yukari has a clear and direct statement of being able to destroy all of Gensokyo. Given that it's now an infinite space-time, this can easily be said to be high 3-A/low 2-C, which isn't an upgrade but strongly supports the current tiers.

Of greater note, however, are two feats that were previously rejected because of Gensokyo's finite size. Both Yukari and the Occult Balls have confirmation of being able to remove the boundary between Gesokyo and the Outside World, something noted to cause the two world to merge together into one. Merging two low 2-C spaces into one another has always been 2-C, and since the Netherworld has always had its own past independent of the Outside World, there should be no issues regarding split timelines and whatnot.

Of course, this would mean we have 4 different 2-C feats to scale off of, which at this point makes the "likely" rating unnecessary. It's my opinion that the consistency of 2-C feats should give the high tiers a flat 2-C rating, while the remaining low 2-C feats can remain as support.

TL;DR:
-Gensokyo becomes infinite in size due to being merged with the Netherworld.
-Because the Netherworld has its own past, it would make Gensokyo it's own low 2-C space separate from the Outside World.
-This gives us additional low 2-C/2-C feats to work with, enough to put the high tiers at just 2-C, not "likely" 2-C.

AGREE: @Dragonite007, @1st_Virtue_of_Pure_Void, @Kirbonic_Pikmin, @Lynieryz, @BlastX, @Rakih_Elyan, @Psychomaster35, @Deidalius, @DarkDragonMedeus, @AdamHkureiJanitor, @Shmooply, @Ret_of_Guys, @Artorimachi_Meteoraft, @LordGriffin1000, @Maverick_Zero_X, @Quantu
DISAGREE: @ImmortalDread, @PrinceofPein
NEUTRAL: @Planck69

Last edited:
I'm not saying I disagree or agree against the op or anything like that (cause I'm still learning when it comes to Low 2-C and up stuff), but Mad were you rushing a little in making this? You kinda missing quite a bit regarding the separation Netherworld?

I agree with this, it’s very clear cut tbh. Nice having a solid flat 2C rating now. I wonder how many matchups tabs about to have to be cleaned out now though lol.

I'm not saying I disagree or agree against the op or anything like that (cause I'm still learning when it comes to Low 2-C and up stuff), but Mad were you rushing a little in making this? You kinda missing quite a bit regarding the separation Netherworld?
I imagine Fuji’s planning to cover things later, since she mentioned this was just laying the groundwork for future CRTs. I know she definitely left some potential haxx stuff this gives off the table and such.

"I imagine Fuji’s planning to cover things later, since she mentioned this was just laying the groundwork for future CRTs. I know she definitely left some potential haxx stuff this gives off the table and such."

That's not what I mean, even if I were to limit myself to Cherry Blossom game of Touhou, in regards the scans used in op in regards to the separation of the Netherworld using just these two scans would be underselling the situation by a lot.

Last edited:
"I imagine Fuji’s planning to cover things later, since she mentioned this was just laying the groundwork for future CRTs. I know she definitely left some potential haxx stuff this gives off the table and such."

That's not what I mean, even if I were to limit myself to Cherry Blossom game of Touhou, in regards the scans used in op in regards to the separation of the Netherworld using just these two scans would be underselling the situation by a lot.
Does it matter? While I do think more scans are useful, the statements I have already provided are quite clear, and should be fine by themselves. although i did forget to include the scan about the outside world being our world, oops

Also, even if I did make this in the course of a day, that doesn't mean it was rushed. As I mentioned earlier, this is mostly just recapping information that is already known, and very little of it is new. I gave this thread as much time as it required, which turned out to be not that much time at all.

Last edited:
The rushing part was sarcasm on my part obviously if the conclusion to the stuff is factually correct then it doesn't really matter, I suppose I'll let it slide for now as it would be but a minor edit to fix this way later on.

Agree FRAAAaaaa

A bit unrelated but I really like Gensokyo's cosmology, it's very interesting to me. I'll take notes from it (And other cosmologies that are shittouterhyperhypnopitufoversal in powerscaling) when I desire to make a story that with a cool cosmology.
I admit I glanced over the Netherlands fusing with Gensokyo when I was trying to know more about Touhou lore. I guess that really does make Gensokyo infinite in size now, huh? Cool I guess.

First and foremost, our current 2-C standards claim that two space-times that shared a prior point in time (eg; branching timelines) do not qualify for separate low 2-C spaces, and thus merging them cannot be 2-C. This is an obvious problem for Gensokyo and the Outside World, given the two's shared history (as well as Gensokyo's non-universal size).
Where was said, I legit do not know that one.

Glad to see the CRT didn't go to shit while I was asleep.

Where was said, I legit do not know that one.
From the tiering system FAQ:
"Second, is the case of timelines that at certain points are connected. Contrary to the case where one can always travel from one universe to the other via three-dimensional movement, it is only possible in those at certain times. In fact, at certain points in time they might be the same universe. E.g. if a timeline branches into two, then the timelines were the same universe before the branch split happened. Other way around, if two timelines get merged into one, then they are the same universe only after they were fused."

Glad to see the CRT didn't go to shit while I was asleep.

From the tiering system FAQ:
"Second, is the case of timelines that at certain points are connected. Contrary to the case where one can always travel from one universe to the other via three-dimensional movement, it is only possible in those at certain times. In fact, at certain points in time they might be the same universe. E.g. if a timeline branches into two, then the timelines were the same universe before the branch split happened. Other way around, if two timelines get merged into one, then they are the same universe only after they were fused."
I was legit scared af because I thought that MWI multiverses would be affected from this.

To start simple, Yukari has a clear and direct statement of being able to destroy all of Gensokyo. Given that it's now an infinite space-time, this can easily be said to be high 3-A/low 2-C, which isn't an upgrade but strongly supports the current tiers.
I am having difficulty comprehending the origin of the seemingly infinite magnitude that you have attributed to the place in question. As the initial scan report failed to make any reference to such an attribute, I must inquire whether it is the result of a merging process or any other relevant procedure. It should be noted that the highest level of classification that can be ascribed to the place in question, based on available data, is a level 3-A, rather than the suggested lower level 2-C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back