• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Christmas Miracle: Finally Upgrading Touhou Range

my gift to you this year is another touhou crt that will remain unevaluated for several months

no this doesn't mean im back to doing crts regularly. it'll happen next year, probably

Touhou’s danmaku range is pitifully low for a series where ranged combat is a key focus. 36 meters stems from how Sakuya can throw knives with great accuracy at that range, which is fine, but it’s always been treated as a lowball since no concrete method for getting higher numbers was found (hence the “at least” present in range sections). Until now, anyway.

During Grimoire of Usami, Reimu gets the bright idea to create a fireworks show in Gensokyo, going off of Sumireko stating that there’s not much difference between fireworks and danmaku visually. This implies danmaku and fireworks are similar enough in appearance to warrant a comparison in size, which we can use to determine the general range danmaku scales to.

Supporting Sumireko’s own knowledge is the very first firework set off, which is an actual firework used by the kappa. As time goes on, no members of the audience can tell the fake fireworks from the real ones (they only do so when people start using non-firework-y danmaku), so evidently danmaku is just as visibly convincing as real fireworks in all visual aspects, such as size.

But how do we determine the firework size? Well, early on, we get a comparison shot of a kappa next to a real firework launcher. We can scale the Kappa’s head to the launcher to get a rough idea of the shell size used. I’ll just use the average head height for women, giving us a range of 19.8/21.8/23.8 inches, which we can pixel scale with the launcher to determine its width is 32.5/35.8/39.1 inches. This is actually shockingly consistent with the largest real-life fireworks launchers, which use shells that are 24-36 inches wide.

The shell size of a launcher determines the size of the resulting explosion, with every 2 inches of shell size adding an additional 45 feet in radius for the explosion. Using the launcher width we just calculated, we can multiply that by 45 to get the radius of these fireworks, and thus, the danmaku used. This gives us a low end/high end range of 445.77/491.0328/536.2956 meters.

This is surprisingly supported by a few other visual feats. In Grimoire of Marisa, illustrations are given of characters performing danmaku, where we see some of Kanako’s bullets reaching far-off mountaintops and Aya’s danmaku similarly stretching off into the distance.

Finally, we have Mokou performing this feat, which shows us that basic danmaku attacks can eclipse treetops from ground level. Not really as big as the other feats, but it does show that 36 meters is still a lowball.

TL;DR: Standard danmaku range goes from 36 meters all the way up to about 500 meters, with some implications of even higher ranges, thus mandating a change from “at least tens of meters with danmaku” to “at least hundreds of meters with danmaku”.

Probably, yeah.

How should I word the justification, btw? Should there be a blog for how the range was calculated, or should it just be "danmaku range is comparable to the largest fireworks, which are approximately 500 meters in radius".

There is calculation in question, this should be added in verse page regardless

I can’t believe Fuji didn’t tell me she finally got this thread out smh

Anyways these are rather simple additions that really feel like they should’ve been here ages ago, I agree.

Nope, as far I as I can tell, we need 1/2 staff members, but the thread is pretty much fine to be applied imo. It is rational.

Still gotta make that blog, kinda bouncing back and forth between too many things at once rn, sorry.

I don't mind waiting though.

Still gotta make that blog, kinda bouncing back and forth between too many things at once rn, sorry.

I don't mind waiting though.
Eh.... the blog is really not that big tho? Unless you are asking for calculation member approval, I can ask someone from my side.

Back