• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Damn Time - The Soul of Cinder vs The Moon Presence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTvCOgtO04

Ending One: Gehrman kills you, you wake up from the Nightmare. Nothing interesting in context to this.

Ending Two: The Moon Presence descends from the Moon and wraps its cords around you. In the scene, the Hunter doesn't act aggressively at all. They don't struggle. They walk, mesmerized, towards the Moon Presence, who holds them for a moment and embraces them. They don't even try to resist. (Hint hint, NOT AP. Stop making groundless assumptions.) We are then seen in Gehrman's Wheelchair. The MP got the Hunter into Gehrman's position. Literally nothing to suggest AP.

Ending Three: This is exactly the same up until the Moon Presence's embrace of the Hunter. A white light is emitted (not dissimilar to the Arcane textures in game now that I mention it) and the Moon Presence jumps away, clearly shaken by whatever just happened. Still LITERALLY NOTHING to suggest AP. No physical action is taken. The Hunter still has barely moved, really.

The scene ends with an enraged Moon Presence and when you kill it, you become an Infant Great One. There's a few theories as to why this happens, but they aren't terribly important, either.

So nothing at all for AP.

"becoming an infant great one, makes sense you would be stronger"

No. It doesn't. Nothing at all suggests that. The Great Ones ascend via thought, as seen by Oedon, who ascended from a physical form to a formless voice. He is the greatest of the Great Ones.

Insight is your ability to see the Eldritch Truth, generally speaking. The more Insight you have, the greater the dangers are around you as you perceive them more clearly. You are able to see through the MP's Mindhax and engage in a fight with it because you consumed the Umbilical Cords.

There is NOTHING to suggest an AP shift. Why this misconception exists worries me.

Everlasting replied: Why would a soul have a mind is the question.

About SoC's ap: He's at minimum 9x baseline but likely far, far higher

I was wondering aswell

Because the GBE that we are using is incorrect.

Therefir said:
Everlasting replied: Why would a soul have a mind is the question.

About SoC's ap: He's at minimum 9x baseline but likely far, far higher
Then I vote SoC he has resistance to mindhax due to having a mind in a not normal sense of the word, and he spams the Moon Presences weakness.

Mr. Bambu said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTvCOgtO04
Ending One: Gehrman kills you, you wake up from the Nightmare. Nothing interesting in context to this.

Ending Two: The Moon Presence descends from the Moon and wraps its cords around you. In the scene, the Hunter doesn't act aggressively at all. They don't struggle. They walk, mesmerized, towards the Moon Presence, who holds them for a moment and embraces them. They don't even try to resist. (Hint hint, NOT AP. Stop making groundless assumptions.) We are then seen in Gehrman's Wheelchair. The MP got the Hunter into Gehrman's position. Literally nothing to suggest AP.

Ending Three: This is exactly the same up until the Moon Presence's embrace of the Hunter. A white light is emitted (not dissimilar to the Arcane textures in game now that I mention it) and the Moon Presence jumps away, clearly shaken by whatever just happened. Still LITERALLY NOTHING to suggest AP. No physical action is taken. The Hunter still has barely moved, really.

The scene ends with an enraged Moon Presence and when you kill it, you become an Infant Great One. There's a few theories as to why this happens, but they aren't terribly important, either.

So nothing at all for AP.
Ok, nothing suggests that the Hunter's AP got upgraded, but what exactly suggests that MP mindhaxed the Hunter? Nothing as well, that's because the scene is open to interpretations.

And it's definitely not mindhax, since Insight canonically doesn't help with that.

On the other hand, while the MP didn't seem to care about the Hunter in the beginning, he clearly felt threatened after seeing the manifested power of the umbylical cords.

Also, I think people are ignoring that a character that is way below MP's level just creates lots of 4-C beings to use as bait.

Even if we consider that Moon Presence mindhaxed the Hunter (which I disagree), he'd still be more than 9 times above baseline 4-C.

Because the Hunter didn't attack the MP. At all. A Great One, that which the Hunter attacks automatically despite being peaceful towards them (Rom and Ebrietas don't attack until you do). Additionally, the ending in which the Hunter takes Gehrman's place doesn't make sense. Why would it happen? The Hunter has no reason to take part in that. It only makes sense that the MP somehow made the Hunter do it. Which makes sense- MP has the means to, the motive to, etc etc.

So yes, actually. It can be mindhax. I don't know why you think Insight canonically doesn't link up with this, since that isn't true, but... well. Look above.

@Therefir He's fodder compared to Giant Dad.

(Dark Souls Remaster May 25th btw)

Dark Souls remaster??? Boiiiiiiii I'm hype now.

This can be re added?, MP doesn't have feats like mind haxing souls and it looks like they are comparable.

What are the votes on this thread so far? Very confused.

(and yeah hype is through the roof, coming to Switch, Xbox One and PS4 and some other platforms, 60 FPS, HD)

Soul of Cinder: 7 (Mr. Bambu, Therefir, DMUA, Overlord775, Keeweed, Hellbeast1, Dzhindzholia)

Moon Presence:

Inconclusive:

Mr. Bambu said:
Because the Hunter didn't attack the MP. At all. A Great One, that which the Hunter attacks automatically despite being peaceful towards them (Rom and Ebrietas don't attack until you do). Additionally, the ending in which the Hunter takes Gehrman's place doesn't make sense. Why would it happen? The Hunter has no reason to take part in that. It only makes sense that the MP somehow made the Hunter do it. Which makes sense- MP has the means to, the motive to, etc etc.
So yes, actually. It can be mindhax. I don't know why you think Insight canonically doesn't link up with this, since that isn't true, but... well. Look above.
The Hunter doesn't attack MP after manifesting the umbylical cords power either, MP is the one to attack and he does that simply by seeing that the Hunter is a threat. And why does he see the Hunter as a threat? Because the power of the umbylical cords had manifested, so yeah, it's very likely to be related to AP.

The Hunter replaces Gehrman because he can't oppose the one who made him do that, which is MP. As I said before, Gehrman was the "host" of the Hunter's Dream and he obviously didn't get mindhaxed by Moon Presence, because you know, he's crazy (probably due to his age), but not Micolash-like crazy. So why doesn't he oppose MP? The only thing I can think is: he's not powerful enough to.

About the Insight thing, it does not in anyway help with mindhax. In-game, mindhax is Frenzy, Insight makes you more susceptible to Frenzy. So how exacty a thing that makes you weaker to Frenzy would help with not being mindhaxed? So yes, canonically, Insight doesn't help with mindhax/Frenzy.

@LordNephalem Okay, MP doesn't have feats like mind haxing souls anyway.

Anyway, I think I've lost the focus.

Even considering that MP mindhaxed the Hunter, he'd still be above 9 times superior to baseline 4-C. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

LordNephalem said:
Anyway, I think I've lost the focus.

Even considering that MP mindhaxed the Hunter, he'd still be above 9 times superior to baseline 4-C. That's the only point I'm trying to make.
But 9 is the SoC's baseline and he spans lightning which the moon presence is weak to. He also has the experience and versatility advantage and is way more aggressive.

SoC is at least 9 times superior to baseline 4-C, but likely far, far higher.

Keeweed said:
But 9 is the SoC's baseline and he spans lightning which the moon presence is weak to. He also has the experience and versatility advantage and is way more aggressive.
I know, I didn't vote for MP. I just said he probably has the AP advantage here.

The moon presence doesnt have a crippling weakness to lightning, it just takes SLIGHTLY more damage from it

WeeklyBattles said:
The moon presence doesnt have a crippling weakness to lightning, it just takes SLIGHTLY more damage from it
That's Still is an advantage for SoC, since he uses lightning most the time anyways.

@Weekly I know, but the MP doesn't have this advantage over SoC.

More importantly, Sorceries manipulate the Soul. Soul of Cinder is made up of souls. MP does not manipulate souls.

Can we just finaly write this off as inconclusive? It has been like a bazillion posts now, and there WILL be no end to this discussion. This has gone way out of bounds.

Both are ludicrously powerful Characters and have way to complicated abilitys, nevermind that nobody knows if even half of their abilitys work on the other, so please...

END THIS MADNESS:

Don't think there are enough votes in either direction yet.

We left off at 5 for Soul of Cinder...?

Besides, this has nothing on Homura vs Swamp Thing. That went all the way to 500 posts.

Back