• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About a Category

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm Apex and this is my first thread on the staff forum discussion and probably the last one.

Ant asked me the favor to make it.

My purpose in opening this thread is to discuss if pages that represent entire species should or should not have the "Characters Category" on them, or if we should do as in the case of "Civilizations pages" and we should not add such a category too that kind of pages.

Here is an example:

Thoughts?

If it's just an exponent of a determined species, then I think it should have the characters category, as it doesn't represent the whole collective of its kind.
For example, D&D mobs and creatures, Pokemon, Monster Hunter monsters and such.

If the creatures are somewhat organized, even to a very rudimental level, and the file is meant to describe their collectivess (and also uses the format for civilizations), they should have the civilization category.

If it's just an exponent of a determined species, then I think it should have the characters category, as it doesn't represent the whole collective of its kind.
For example, D&D mobs and creatures, Pokemon, Monster Hunter monsters and such.

If the creatures are somewhat organized, even to a very rudimental level, and the file is meant to describe their collectivess (and also uses the format for civilizations), they should have the civilization category.
Fair suggestion, yeah

@SamanPatou

Should we add an instruction text about this in the page linked to below, and if so, are you willing to handle it please?

Would you be willing to handle it instead, and then tell us here after you are done?

Well, if somebody writes a draft text, I can add it afterwards instead.

The op doesn't concern the species category tho, since it can apply to both characters and civilizations.

We should instead add a passage in the Additional Information section of the Standard Format for Characters Profile and a note or smth in the Standard Format for Civilizations Profiles.

Something like:
Exponents of a real or fictional species qualify as "Characters Profiles" when the page refers to one or multiple generic exponents of said species. Examples: Dungeons&Dragons, Pokemon etc...
They should instead be formatted as "Civilizations Profiles" if the purpose of the page is indexing a collective species that is wholly organized in a form of society, even if rudimentary.

The op doesn't concern the species category tho, since it can apply to both characters and civilizations.

We should instead add a passage in the Additional Information section of the Standard Format for Characters Profile and a note or smth in the Standard Format for Civilizations Profiles.

Something like:
Exponents of a real or fictional species qualify as "Characters Profiles" when the page refers to one or multiple generic exponents of said species. Examples: Dungeons&Dragons, Pokemon etc...
They should instead be formatted as "Civilizations Profiles" if the purpose of the page is indexing a collective species that is wholly organized in a form of society, even if rudimentary.
Seems good

Something like:
@SamanPatou

Thank you for helping out. However, I think that the above draft text might have to be reworded so it is easier to understand exactly what is intended. For example, the word "exponent" is not self-evident, and the "Characters" category should only be used for fictional characters, not for real world species.

Something like:
@SamanPatou

Thank you for helping out. However, I think that the above draft text might have to be reworded so it is easier to understand exactly what is intended. For example, the word "exponent" is not self-evident, and the "Characters" category should only be used for fictional characters, not for real world species.
@SamanPatou

Are you willing to help out here please?

@SamanPatou

Are you willing to help out here please?
@Antvasima Given how they don't seem interested, I wrote a draft myself. Can I add this to the Species page now?
When making a profile for a species, one must determine on a case-by-case basis whether to make it a character profile or a civilization profile and, consequently, which categories to include it in. If the profile explains the powers and statistics of one of the species' generic individuals, format it as a character profile. If, when applicable, the profile documents the species as a society and what they can achieve together, format it as a civilization profile.

I think that seems perfectly fine to add, yes.

However, we also have another related problem.

Should we replace the following category with the Species category? They seem to overlap.

Should we replace the following category with the Species category? They seem to overlap.

Fine by me.
@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Andytrenom @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Just_a_Random_Butler @Agnaa

@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Just_a_Random_Butler @DarkGrath

Thank you for your reply. 🙏

So should I run a mass-editing script to replace the Races category with the Species category then?

Combining the two should be perfectly acceptable. The categories are seemingly redundant otherwise.

I agree. Also:

@SamanPatou

I think Saman was right on this end, and that anything using the Characters page format should have the Characters category- even if they are a species and even if they are an entity in the real world, as they are functionally still a "character" of that verse. It makes it easier to search for everything with that category if it is applied uniformly in that way.

I think Saman was right on this end, and that anything using the Characters page format should have the Characters category- even if they are a species and even if they are an entity in the real world, as they are functionally still a "character" of that verse. It makes it easier to search for everything with that category if it is applied uniformly in that way.
I suppose that seems fairly reasonable. It isn't entirely logical, but it may be necessary for indexing purposes.

I agree. Also:

This is a fair point

It seems so, yes. I will start then. 🙏

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back