• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aang content revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Maybe. I am not well informed about the matter, but would also like to know why they are supposed to be different.

There is no real proof for the avatar multiplier thing, we went over this in that one thread earlier. It's always been skill, not power.

As for the lightning timing, there is nothing to suggest that electricity created through bending is real lightning or moves at lightning speed. You need to prove that because there are many variants of lightning and also electricity is overused as a power so it ends up being an outlier for many characters if always considered at its "real" speed

Alakabamm said:
As for the lightning timing, there is nothing to suggest that electricity created through bending is real lightning or moves at lightning speed. You need to prove that because there are many variants of lightning and also electricity is overused as a power so it ends up being an outlier for many characters if always considered at its "real" speed
It's already been proven that the other sources are natural... so why would this one be any different?

That's inductive reasoning because you are equating it to something else. Also, lightning is not the element; fire is. Lightning is a subpower of that bender group.

I also don't know what you mean by "the other sources are natural." In what sense? That there is actually fire? There isn't a scaling problem associated with fire so that doesn't mean much.

Aparajita said:
It's already been proven that the other sources are natural... so why would this one be any different?
Enel's lightning isn't considered natural lightning either, otherwise Pre TS nami would be lightning timer

3717753-one-piece-60650

Faisal Shourov said:
Enel's lightning isn't considered natural lightning either, otherwise Pre TS nami would be lightning timer

3717753-one-piece-60650
I... fail to see how that affects whether it's natural lightning or not?

If he's a lightning timer, than he is.

If it's not natural, then it's not. What is the determining factor?

It's obviously natural lightning as for the nami feat it's considered an outlier the strawhats even survived lightning while WB was weak against magma which isn't as hot there are some inconsistencies in the series

From what i've just read from a NASA page, it's caused by cold air and warm air the positive charge moves up, the negative charge moves down. Once a charge is built up, they seek a way to neutralise. Iroh says, "There is energy all around us, positive and negative, hot and cold. We built the energy up, and direct it, causing it to release" through the fingertips.

He literally just explained what NASA said about Lightning, in his own words.

Well, here's a piece of info most people overlook pertaining to lightning-bending: In the Legend of Korra, it can be seen that Lightning-benders use their bending to power energy sources. It has been made clear several times that Republic City uses electricity the same way as we do, and lightning-benders provide that electricity. So, I think it's safe to assume that lightning-bending equates to actual real lightning. Just my opinion though.

Using bending lightning to power the city doesn't make it comperable to real life lightning.

Alakabamm summed it up pretty good , in fiction there are many inconciestencies and writters don't always follow logic / physical laws so lighning created by super powers or of magical origin aren't treated as real life lightning unless there is solid proof about it.

Kkapoios said:
Using bending lightning to power the city doesn't make it comperable to real life lightning.
Alakabamm summed it up pretty good , in fiction there are many inconciestencies and writters don't always follow logic / physical laws so lighning created by super powers or of magical origin aren't treated as real life lightning unless there is solid proof about it.
Can you link in one of these inconsistencies within Avatar? Because, at the moment, i'm drawing a blank.

From the supported information: The explaination of how lightning works (from NASA) and Iroh literally parroting it, the fact that it is used like normal electricity, and the fact that it behaves like natural lightning all leads me to believe it is natural lightning.

Hmm. I am also uncertain about this, but I definitely did not get the impression that the ATLA and LOK characrers were much swifter than subsonic from their various fighting scenes, as skilled regular soldiers were frequently able to almost keep up with them. Per exrension, it would likely make the entire world population massively hypersonic, which is extremely doubtful.

@Aparajita all the evidence you presented give only one conclusin...... Lighning bend produces electricity ,nothing more ,nothing less.

As Ant said the verse is a relativelly slow one ,where skilled fodders can keep up with the main characters and Combustion Man a high tier couldn't react to Sokka's boomerang ,unless you are suggesting Sokka can throw things at mach 1000.

So the natural lightning from the Avatarverse is slower than our world's natural lightning? Because Iroh reacted to natural lightning more than once.

It's not that Combustion Man couldn't react, he didn't see the boomerang at all. He didn't know the boomerang existed until it hit him on the head.

- Why the Avatar State is the combined power of past lives:

"The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars. The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body. In the Avatar State, you are at your most powerful, but you are also at your most vulnerable. If you are killed in the Avatar State, the reincarnation cycle will be broken and the Avatar will cease to exist."

- The words used to describe what is passed are "skills" and "knowledge" and "energy". Knowledge inherently is of the mind. He knows what his past lives know. However, a skill doesn't just pertain to the mind, it pertains to the body as well. For instance, yo-yoing is a particular skill. Any skill his past lives know, i.e. any and everything they could do with their bodies as a skill, Aang by consequence knows.

Consider this hypothetical:

-- If one of Aang's past lives was a weight lifter who could bench press 200 kg-

-- If another of Aang's past lives is a discus thrower whose personal record is 50 m. and could only bench press 100 kg-

-- Then in the Avatar State, Aang would have strength from the ability to bench 200 kg as well as the ability to apply to that strength to the ability to throw discus, resulting in a farther discus throw.

Now it may seem that Aang shouldn't be able to thus lift 300 kg, but he can and this is exactly why the Avatar State grows more powerful with each incarnation. "The glow is the combination of all your past lives, (not ONE or SOME of your past lives) focusing their (not his, not hers, not ONE'S, but THEIR) energy through your body."

From this, we know Aang has access to the energy all of his past lives have ever had. The quote doesn't say he has access to only a few past lives at a time, or only the most physically fit. It says "ALL [of] THEIR", meaning not one is left out in consideration of his total energy while in the Avatar State.

But that was before Raava, wich makes everything Roku said be either false or just doubtful(10,000 avatars in 10,000 years, for example). Like i said, Raava became stronger and bigger than she was when she fused with Wan, but we don't know if it's the energy of other avatars or just something that happens with time.

And their skills and abilities are only accecible in the Avatar State, at a point where benchpressing 300kg is nothing, since the boost from the AS also works for strenght and possibly other physical stats. So anything an avatar could do is nothing compared to the AS, so i think their feats would actually make the AS look weaker.

Now it may seem that Aang shouldn't be able to thus lift 300 kg

I'm pretty sure he could seeing how he could walk with this rock in his back.

http://i0.wp.com/www.panelsonpages....rbender-bitter-work-episode-screencap-2x9.jpg

There is absolutely nothing to suggest the avatar states are cumulative like that at all. It may be that the skill increase increases the power of the avatar state just a smudge compared to the past incarnation, but that - like the assumption of a full power addon - is merely a theory and cannot be accepted as fact on this wiki.

Also, if the Avatar state is the incarnation of 10,000 past lives along with a godly spiritual beings, then why is it that Aang struggles against Ozai? Each of his past incarnations should easily be compable to Ozai and suggesting that his power is cumulative like that suggests he should be at least 100x Ozai, yet he only won against him with energy bending.

There's just way too much stuff to doubt to make that type of logic legitimate

- It's at least 1,000 lifetimes (per Roku) in 10,000 years (per Raava). Obviously that's not possible, but the retcon may be a separate conversation.

- I'm agreeing with Saitama that the strength in the AS is exponentially grown, even when it may seem like it's not. While Aang's strength alone (not in the AS) is more like Peak Human - Superhuman.

Alakabamm said:
There is absolutely nothing to suggest the avatar states are cumulative like that at all. It may be that the skill increase increases the power of the avatar state just a smudge compared to the past incarnation, but that - like the assumption of a full power addon - is merely a theory and cannot be accepted as fact on this wiki.
Also, if the Avatar state is the incarnation of 10,000 past lives along with a godly spiritual beings, then why is it that Aang struggles against Ozai? Each of his past incarnations should easily be compable to Ozai and suggesting that his power is cumulative like that suggests he should be at least 100x Ozai, yet he only won against him with energy bending.

- Read my previous post explaining the quote on the AS.

- The reason Aang struggles with his opponents is because of his Air Nomad cultural heritage. He is inherently non-violent. On top of that, he is the AVATAR, which is why we don't see him going around obliterating islands, mountains, countries, continents, etc., but he most certainly wields that kind of devastating power. Aang was beating the crap out of Ozai as soon as he went into the AS.

You're trying to imply that Aang held back the entire series. In AVATAR state? Really now?

Slaphappyjoy said:
- Read my previous post explaining the quote on the AS.

- The reason Aang struggles with his opponents is because of his Air Nomad cultural heritage. He is inherently non-violent. On top of that, he is the AVATAR, which is why we don't see him going around obliterating islands, mountains, countries, continents, etc., but he most certainly wields that kind of devastating power. Aang was beating the crap out of Ozai as soon as he went into the AS.
Please, he is not Superman, he wouldn't hold back in alot of the conflicts

It's his entire job to hold back, he can't go around unleashing such devastation which would clearly upset the natural balance of things.

After a prolonged battle. He would have crushed him in seconds if he was 100x stronger and you are basically implying he is 1000x, if not more.

Antvasima said:
@WKS What are the calculations that supposrt MHS speeds?
@All Could somebody find scans that make it possible to approximate the scale of Kyoshi's feat please? That way I can ask the calculation group members to handle it.
- Regarding the island feat, here is an official map. Open the image in a new page for better zoom. If you zoom in to the mountain range just north of the south pole, you should see Kyoshi Island to the northeast of that mountain range. After reviewing the map and comparing the sizes of cities, I don't think Kyoshi's Island feat is Small Island level. It's more like Small City level.

However, the Volcano feat was done with four of the Fire Nation volcanoes in the western section of the map. The lava fountains were so large and exploded with such force that they looked as if they could destroy most of the Fire Nation itself, which was both a large group of islands and a country, possibly a continent (if considering the size of either of the poles to be continent level). Keep in mind for that particular image, most of the lava is off-screen. If you need the video reference for the amount of lava shown let me know.

I'm suggesting this:

Striking Strength - At least Class EJ or ZJ

Attack Potency - At least Large Island level to Large Country level. Potentially Continent level, since he could set off irreversible, catastrophic weather events and seismic activity.

Okay. TLT1 and Kkapoios, are either of you willing to calculate the feat, so we can rescale the two avatars?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/energy-hurricane-volcano-earthquake2.htm

Volcanic eruptions are like, 24 megatons of thermal energy for fairly large volcanoes. Scaling probably wouldn't get a large volcano or even a medium sized one, if I were to guess. Volcanoes also aren't measured in quite a way that allows for determination of the energy required to induce it.

So you're looking at less than 24 x 4 = 96 megatons of force, city/low large city.

Alakabamm said:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/en...rgy-hurricane-volcano-earthquake2.htmVolcanic eruptions are like, 24 megatons of thermal energy for fairly large volcanoes. Scaling probably wouldn't get a large volcano or even a medium sized one, if I were to guess. Volcanoes also aren't measured in quite a way that allows for determination of the energy required to induce it.
So you're looking at less than 24 x 4 = 96 megatons of force, city/low large city.
How would thermal energy affect destruction? Then there's the fact that the entire eruption is lava and not tephra.

Alakabamm said:

Are you sure you watched the show? Because as soon as Aang enters the Avatar State he completely dominated the fight. Only thing Ozai did was throw fire at him(wich he blocked like it was nothing) and run away(only a little because Aang also easily caught up to him). He could have killed Ozai if he wanted, but he didn't want to, so he took his bending. Actually, he could kill him sooner with lightning redrection, but he chose to redirect it in another direction to spare Ozai.

And yes, there is nothing that proves that the AS grants the power of Raava + all past lives, but it's a fact that Raava got stronger with time. If it was due to the past lives energy or just something that happens with time, we don't know. I also think people mistook power and skill. If Korra learned metalbending, that means that any avatar after her will be able to use it in the AS(another important thing to point, this only goes for the AS, they can't use these skills normally without learning them outside of the AS, otherwise there would be no point in them learning the bendings every time they are born again), that have nothing to do with power, just a skill or ability that this avatar had will be passed on to the next and so on when they enter the Avatar State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back