• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A trending articles section in the front page?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I noticed that the Marvel wiki has a trending articles section on its front page, and wonder if it would be a good idea for us to get a similar feature called "trending characters" connected to the characters category, to make the wiki more easily accessible for new visitors. Or is the current "media" section enough?

However, if the rest of the staff think that this is a good idea, we will still have to figure out how to implement such a script, and I am not good with programming issues.

Notes:

Non-staff members can respond here if they have helpful input to contribute with, but I would appreciate if we avoid any derailment or nonsense-posts.

Also, this is just a suggestion. We will obviously not implement it if the staff is against it.

I honestly do no know how helpful this would be. But I am not against it, if the other staff members are okay with implementing this.

I think this would encourage character use and user exploration. I see no negatives of it, and I support its addition.

I don't think it would clutter anything and would like formal and present the fact that we are encouraging users to explore and join the community.

I'm Neutral on this as well, but I'll lean towards what the rest of the staff think.

The thing with a trending character is that its a mere information providing. Trending articles or trending thread encourage for active participation.

People who are absolutely not familiar with the verse the trending character stems from would not gain anything from it.

But a general thread where every user can participate in acts as an incentive for people to post and increase the activity.

Raven sums it up perfectly.

While it would be nice to have some of our popular character as the figurehead/spearhead of this wiki, trending articles tends to be more useful for new users to familiarise themselves to the wiki.

Raven is correct,if the trending character is not too popular to most of user,then it will not gain anything.

Best is the give new users to understanding themself with this wiki.

Well, the front page is supposed to mainly be an introduction for our over 700000 monthly casual visitors, whereas our active members are already participating an awful lot in our discussion threads, so I would appreciate if we stick to the original topic please.

Or rather, the front page is already focusing a lot on our active members, with explanations of our calculation methods and administration threads, but likely not enough on all of the people who are just curious about our character statistics, so this is why I came up with this suggestion. We likely need to become more casual-visitor friendly.

I'd disagree. I enjoy seeing where other characters I don't really know are in comparison to my favorite verses. Seeing "Golden King" as trending may then encourage others to see how their favorite characters stack up against him.

I don't quite think that is a universal concern, and is placing anecdotal evidence and personal opinions on all of our multi-hundred thousand Wiki viewers.

@Assaltwaffle

Well, as I mentioned, this is just a suggestion. If the staff is against it, we will not try to apply it.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood. Ignore the above post.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. It's always nice to see more obscure characters, or at least characters whom most people wouldn't assume are quite powerful at first impression. This was a reason Featured Vs Threads were approved at least until months before Scarlet retired.

@Ant

My post wasn't directed at yours, it was meant in reply to the one above it. I personally support this idea.

I and Bert Hall were also talking about possibly having some sort of monthly versus poll on the front page, to encourage more casual visitor participation, but one thing at a time.

@Assaltwaffle

Yes, I noticed. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Would there be some way to make sure the same articles don't show up over and over again?

Maybe a cooldown of a couple of months to a year before it can be on the front page again?

Regardless of whether that's possible or not, I strongly support this suggestion.

I support this.

I mean in the absolute worst case scenario, people simply won't care.

If it works it will encourage people to check pages that they may not know like Assalt said

@Agnaa

I do not think so, no. Sorry. But the articles tend to change with what is popular at the moment.

As long as characters from Dragon Ball, Cthulhu, and the Big Two don't overwhelming dominate the list, I'm fine with this. How are we gonna pull it off though?

I am not sure. I would appreciate help from our staff and community to investigate how we should practically implement this.

So we will stick with a character profile for trending, and not a "trending" thread from the General Discussion for example?

@Raven

I would personally much prefer that, yes.

@Antvasima

If the majority agrees with your proposal then I can accept that, seeing how we usually roll with a majority consensus.

The thing we have to ask ourselves is: why would people usually inform themselves on a character? The answer is most often: because they want to/have seen the character getting used in a VSdebate.

As such a good idea would be to synergize the "trending character" with a currently often used character in the vs-debate section.

Example: Bog was the flavour of the month some time ago. A magnitude of threads involved him and he was the center of discussion.

When people enter the vsbattleWIki and would see Bog being feature as trending and then they enter the vs-section where they see threads involving him, it gives a clean, rounded picture which tells visitors that the trending profiles actually mean something and are not random.

@Raven

Well, the issue here is that your suggestion would strictly benefit our active members, who are already participating a lot in discussions, to the point that the staff cannot keep up to manage them all.

My idea would be for the benefit of the vastly greater amount of casual visitors, who we currently likely focus too little on, and which is how we increase our overall mainstream popularity.

That said, like I mentioned earlier, I would be fine with monthly versus polls in the front page that our visitors can vote on.

That vote should not be added to the profiles then, since it specifically targets casual visitors who have no in-depth knowledge and therefore go by other criteria than the vs-section users.

Seems like a good suggestion however.

@Raven

Yes. Of course. It would just be so our casual visitors can have some fun, not to be taken seriously.

Would it be a good idea to draw attention from newcomers to allow for more - controversial - votes? Seeing how they are often from popular characters.

A voting the like of "Goku or Superman" basically? Since its just a vote and not a discussion there should be no flaming present.

I think that it would be best to use popular characters, yes, but one thing at a time. We first have to figure out how to apply a script for trending characters, then we can figure out how to get a poll function.

I saw this on another wiki, just testing if it works here.

Now Avengers: Infinity War is finally out, what do you guys think of it?

It was great!

I thought it was good

I am indifferent

Kind of expected something better to be honest

It was really, really bad

I haven't seen it yet

The poll was created at 12:21 on May 26, 2018, and so far 9 people voted.
Please wait, submitting your vote...

Okay. Then we will have to either get some kind of suggestion thread for poll participants, or to have some interested staff members assigned to adding a new one every month or so.

Assaltwaffle said:
I'd disagree. I enjoy seeing where other characters I don't really know are in comparison to my favorite verses. Seeing "Golden King" as trending may then encourage stomps
fixed. Reagardless, I agree with Kal.

Back