• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A trending articles section in the front page?

Let's not derail from the original topic please. We cannot properly handle too many issues at once.

Hmm. I did not know that, as I only use the desktop version myself.

Anyway, I suppose that staff members who are interested in being part of a group that comes up with a versus poll every month or so, that features popular characters, can mention it here. We would need at least one administrator or content moderator to be a part of it though, as they would need to be able to edit the front page.

Seeing how I am mostly caring for calculations which are then used in VSdebates I feel coming up with vs-Polls is something I might be able to bring to the table.

I volunteer.

Okay. Thanks. We need more staff members who semi-regularly discuss the issue amongst themselves though.

I was not expecting to decide it unilateraly. I am looking forward to come to decisions with other members from the staff. My idea would be to take actual trends and use them. Example: Due to the Marvel Movie, the first Poll could be: Thanos (MCU) vs Superman (DCEU).

Using what the real life offers us as trends, turning them to a poll to make casual visitors interested.

That seems like a good idea. I want our wiki to turn more mainstream popular.

Yes, I would prefer to avoid that our standard pages appear in a popularity list. That is why I want to only connect the characters category to such a feature, if possible.

The most likely candidates are perhaps some people from HST, Dragon Ball, Marvel, DC, and Tenchi Muyo (The first thing people had in mind regarding an omnipotent being is Kami Tenchi).

I don't know if it's possible to set it up that way, though. It'd take some investigating to see if there are special ways to set it up in such a way. I mean, there are two Son Goku pages listed but one is a page of redirects, wouldn't that also have to be blacklisted from the trending list?

Redirect pages are not part of the characters category.

However, please take in mind that somebody more experienced than I am with wiki scripts, and with more free time available, would have to investigate how to apply this.

I don't think that characters and verses should be in the "trending articles" section. Here are almost 15K of them. In the navigation bar are already listed extremelly popular/known characters and franchises, and that's enough.

Instead of this, we should make a template where we will put pages that are listed in the "Welcome!" section, but it will look like a table with pictures and links. The pictures can be used from popular franchises for visibility to a certain trending article. However, we should have at least a beginner web-designer to do this.

If trending articles/discussions/characters is a thing on the mobile homepage then it should be on desktop too. I agree with this, as this will attract new users.

Id rather we have a weekly vote on a Profile of the Week. Depending on recent upgrades, new content within a respected verse or just random.

Course, someone would have to manage that

I prefer to have it handled automatically without constantly having to manage updates. A trending characters section would work well in that regard.

Antvasima said:
Okay. Then we will have to either get some kind of suggestion thread for poll participants, or to have some interested staff members assigned to adding a new one every month or so.
I agree with that as along as there is a new thread section made specifically for polls I suppose or any other better method for this could also work.

Okay. Is anybody in the staff willing to investigate how to apply this idea, or should I ask in the Community Central technical forum?

Then how does it work on mobile homepage?

Fandom themselves made that an automatic function, but that does not mean that there is a script available for regular wiki staff members.

I did send Fandom a question about this as well though.

Oh! I just think that if something is on the mobile homepage, it should also be on the desktop. Otherwise, it's just unfair ovo.

Yo Ant!

What happened about this?

Well, according to the replies to my thread at Community Central, it seems like an automatically updated featured section is not possible to apply.

I also think that I asked the Fandom staff about it in private, and that they gave a similar answer.

No problem. It is too bad though.

A monthly or bi-monthly front page versus poll might still be an idea though, but some staff members would have to be interested in maintaining it first.

Antvasima said:
No problem. It is too bad though.
Yeah, lucky mobile users.

Unfair for PC users like me. Not that I needed it, but it would have been better for newer members.

As I suggested a monthly VS poll should focus on interesting characters also at least a little known to people who are not into vsbattles as a subculture.

"Thanos vs Steppenwolf"

"Black Panther vs Spiderman"

Things like this. People who just watch Movies from Marvel/DC or follow the series like Flash and Gotham. It would be a great angle to introduce them to the things here.

I would be interested in this.

Okay. If you wish, you can ask some other staff members if they would be interested in helping you out with this. You would need a content moderator or administrator to add the polls to the front page.

We would also need to link to the profiles of the participants in each matchup within the polls.

Back