• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A thing about speed

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
Introduction

Hello, everyone. Hope you are doing well.

Over the past two weeks, I have noticed that there have been a handful of threads suggesting to have an "inaccessible" speed tier in-between infinite speed and immeasurable speed. While I have eventually come to agree with the notion despite initially being opposed to it, the arguments presented by past advocates were simply insufficient. I want to change that. I am going to give the best evidence available to me to perhaps make a change on this Wiki.

Point #1
Here's a good answer to the query that I found from here:

"Division by zero is an operation for which you cannot find an answer, so it is disallowed. You can understand why if you think about how division and multiplication are related.

12 divided by 6 is 2 because 6 times 2 is 12

12 divided by 0 is x would mean that 0 times x = 12

But no value would work for x because 0 times any number is 0. So division by zero doesn't work."

Mathematically speaking, division is the act of splitting a number into smaller numbers. 10 ├À 2 = 5 means that you need 5 groups of 2 to make 10. 30 ├À 5 = 6 means that you need 6 groups of 5 to make 30.

Now, what makes division by 0 undefined is that 1 ├À 0 = x means that there is a number x that can be multiplied by 0 to get 1. But the thing is, no such number exists. In case you all forgot, zero times an infinite number is still zero. It's a basic law of mathematics.

Point #2
This video also gives a concise explanation of division by 0. The point I want to make in this second section, however, comes around near the end of the video.

As noted previously, mathematical division is the act of splitting numbers into smaller numbers. For the purposes of my argument, let's forget everything we know about mathematics and say that 1 ├À 0 = ∞. This would imply that 0 ├ù ∞ = 1.

But what about 2 ├À 0? Would that also equal ∞? If we go by the distributive property, then yes, 0 ├ù ∞ = 2. But wait - we already defined 0 ├ù ∞ as 1. See the problem yet? This line of thought basically insinuates that 1 = 2.

The new speed tier
Although I strongly support having this new speed tier, there is one thing I do not like: the name that has previously been proposed for it. 1 ├À 0 being equal to K would mean that this kind of speed would be inconceivably greater than uncountably infinite speed, which is silly and wrong.

Rather, I propose to label it "Undefined", because that's exactly the kind of result you'll get from dividing by zero: an undefined result. I am not averse to alternatives, however.

Conclusion
Contrary to popular belief, crossing a finite distance in zero time is not the same as crossing an infinite distance in finite time.

I haven't been on recently, so I don't really know what you're talking about, but I think I agree.

Back