• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Tale of Crossing Over Canons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Bambu said:
I think it should be stated that this is a little difference to a flat-out crossover.
For instance, the three battletoads shouldn't scale to Shovel Knight for appearing in his game. Things like that.
Yes, obviously. The crossovers have to be integral to the plot of at least one-game. And preferably show to be a Shared Universe sort of deal.

Promestein said:
I agree with this, of course. We already treat crossovers as canon for pages like Jason and Freddy.
Good point. Slasher Horror movies also don't give a damn about canon.

Js250476 said:
Sonic and Mega Man world's collide is a good example of a crossover being canon to both series
Yes. Those two Archie Comics are part of the same multiverse.

Another good example would be the current Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers UDON Comics, which is a continuation of both Comics' storyline, and the two are actually revealed to share a universe.

Which means Planet level Ryu.

I had the perfect occasion to scale White Face to Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion....but 3-A and Low 2-C make this an immense outlier.

He does. And it's apparently canonically THE White Face. Who 4th wall broke his way to this game.

But everyone else is like 9-A so rip.

Isn't spooky already high 3A? Not too terrible of an outlier for her.

White Face is like, one of the weakest Specimen though, damage-wise. One could argue that he's holding back to hell and back, but still.

On the topic of the Final Fantasy multiverse, it should be noted just how much of a crossover-storm it truly is, ESPECIALLY regarding Ivalice: Final Fantasy Tactics is the future of Final Fantasy 12, and the future of THAT is Final Fantasy 14. In addition to the Dissidia games, this universe has crossed over with Final Fantasy 7 through Cloud's appearance in FFT (and 7 is in the same universe as 10, but on another planet), Final Fantasy 6 through Kefka's appearance as a raid boss in FF14, Final Fantasy 13 through Lightning's appearance in a limited FF14 event, and potentially more. As far as I know, these crossovers were all confirmed to be legitimate plot-wise.

At this point, it doesn't seem farfetched to consider Dissidia canon and consider some scaling with it, although obviously there will be PIS/Outlier moments to wade through.

@RapidMotorclycle19

I don't think we can make whole new keys / profiles for the Dissidia characters, given that they are literally the characters from the Final Fantasy Games but pulled out of their universes

So? This is simply a case of the power of the characters being adjusted by huge amounts of PIS / Outliers so they can fight each other and have fair fights with people who would normally stomp, or be stomped by them.

We can't add new Keys or Profiles for them, because they aren't different incarnations that are only canon to one side of the Crossover. They are the exact same characters, pulled out of their universes on a massive crossover event that is canon to all games

I agree with this. I like any moves towards "case-by-case basis" rules, such as this and the recent-ish removal of the ban on db vs marvel/dc threads.

The Everlasting said:
Saikou The Lewd King said:
I hope we can avoid spamming 1-A people via scaling to the Cthulhu Mythos though.
Nah man
1-A Super Robot Wars scaling is where it's at

Imagine it

1-A Gurren Lagann, 1-A Evangelion, 1-A Gundam, 1-A Super Sentai, 1-A Mega Man, 1-A Little Witch Academia, 1-A e v e r y t h i n g
Bernkastel vs Akko when?

I agree with this, though I do want to ask if something like Dragon Ball X Dr. Slump would be considered canon since the Dr. Slump characters showed up more than once in the manga and DBS.

The Everlasting said:
I agree with all of what Matt brought up.
I also feel the need to bring up a few other series where this stuff is important: Transformers, Super Sentai (And Power Rangers by proxy) and Kamen Rider.

Transformers' canon policy is... well, completely nonexistent, to put it bluntly. Literally anything in Transformers is canon, as long as it is an official work. This ranges from the various cartoons, the movies, comics and its various crossovers. They have direct, plot important crossovers with Star Wars, G.I. Joe and Marvel Comics, and have done these repeatedly. Now, these crossovers aren't mutually canon - these events didn't happen with the actual crossed over series, but they happened with Transformers nonetheless.
I assume this includes the fact that Vector Prime has no sense of 4th wall and sees things outside of the multiverse that are "non-canon?"

What about some of the canon DC/Marvel crossovers? Like JLA/Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back