• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A small problem regarding calc stacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

King

He/Him
So like, there is literally nothing regarding Attack potency on the wiki page and has been causing a few problems I believe. I had made this calc a little while ago and it seems to be a case of calc stacking. (This is not a rant). The reasoning on the calc stacking page goes as follows:
"The reason it (calc stacking) is usually disregarded is because it has shown itself inconsistent many times and usually gives inflated results. Through the method any long running franchises could also scale their stats infinitely upwards without actually ever showing any feats in the range they are listed."

Now, to the scenario. For example, if character A and B both use the same type of attacks(in this case a punch/kick) on the same object and have varying results based on their power levels within the franchise, would it be wrong to consider one of them significantly stronger than the other? And what if it is not an "inflated result" and is actually consistent with the other characters within the franchise? Also, doesn't this become franchise-specific? Not all authors are inconsistent with the strength of their characters. Calc stacking cases are given in a format such as this:
"
  • Character A moved so fast that character B couldn't react to him. So character A needs to have crossed the distance until he could be seen by character B again in the time that character B requires to react. Since we know from a calculation how long character B needs to react we can calculate the speed of character A based on that."

What the problem here is, that unlike reaction speed, which might vary from franchise to franchise, Attack Potency consists of simple unchanging numbers. I think a different set of requirements are needed to determine calc stacking in the case of Attack Potency. It should be like a check list of sorts, just like we have for lightspeed reactions.

That's it. Feel free to disagree, but give proper reasoning for your decision.

Agree:
Disagree:
Inconclusive:

Character A has a certain attack potency through a calculation. They made a 1mm dent in character B's shield composed of a fictional material. But character C destroyed the whole 30mm thick shield, so character C is thirty times as strong as character A.
This was supposed to be added as an example of calc stacking.

Why was this considered as calc stacking?
The rules against calc stacking exist to avoid excessive inflation of calculations, in your case of One Punch Man you used a 1 megaton feat and inflated it thousands of times, when in these cases it would simply be assumed that Bang and Bomb's attack is stronger than Genos' to an unknown extent.

And what if it is not an "inflated result" and is actually consistent with the other characters within the franchise?
Considering that One Punch Man is in the process of a downgrade, this would no longer be the case, and even if it were it would be still calc stacking.

And why was it not added?
They forgot.

The rules against calc stacking exist to avoid excessive inflation of calculations, in your case of One Punch Man you used a 1 megaton feat and inflated it thousands of times, when in these cases it would simply be assumed that Bang and Bomb's attack is stronger than Genos' to an unknown extent.

Considering that One Punch Man is in the process of a downgrade, this would no longer be the case, and even if it were it would be still calc stacking.

They forgot.
Alright, thank you for your insight.

Last edited:

They forgot.
But considering that carnage Kabuto blew away a 40 kiloton attack with his breath alone, this feat doesn't seem inflated at all. It isn't blown up to be thousand of times. it is just that they are that much stronger than Genos. Genos was unable to even compute how strong Goketsu was. Similarly, Genos' best attack was able to barely any damage to elder centipede, whereas, Bang and Bomb, cracked a large part of it with a single punch.

The whole point of this calc was to prevent the unnecessary downgrade. It is unbelievable for me that multiple Dragon level monsters and stronger S class heroes are in the same tier as Genos (7B).

This was supposed to be added as an example of calc stacking.
Feel free to add it as long as DontTalk and the other calc group members accepted the addition.

I can unlock the page for you.

Thanks, DontTalk and KingTempest accepted the proposed changes so it should be fine to add.

Okay. I will unlock the page for you then. Tell me here when you are done.

Yeah, King doesn't seem to be interested in this method anymore from what I have seen in other threads, so this one should be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back