• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Psionic Tempest: Malachite vs Artanis

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
The Mighty fusio, bearing the weight of the ocean, vs the Heirarch of the Daelamm, bearing the weight of his people. Two very underused characters fight it out.

Rules:

Speed Equal

Artanis in LotV form

In-Character

Who wins and why? Can the abusive water fusion conquer the Protoss warrior? Or will she shatter at the power of the Heirarch?

Malachite: 2 (WeeklyBattles, Derpcity)

Artanis: 1 (Akreious)

Inconclusive: 0

...Wow, AP-wise this is actually pretty damn close. Let me see...how likely is he to lead with Psionic Storm? And does the mind destruction apply to something without an actual brain?

@Weekly He didn't even try and go for it when he was being piled on by dozens of Zerglings when he had to protect the core of a Xel'Naga temple while it was self-destructing, and considering the fact no version of him in-game seems to have it as an ability, he probably doesn't use it, let alone lead with it, often. I'm not sure how the mind destruction would work on something without a brain, but considering the fact its also durability negation in a massive area I'm not sure Malachite or her gems would take it very well if he uses it.

Considering the fact he doesn't use it all the time, though, how skilled is Malachite in direct hand-to-hand? I ask because it seems that most of her attacks are based on charging, which Artanis can teleport out of the way of. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also tells me she probably wouldn't try to abuse her range advantage, at least not at first. He also could probably teleport out of her water chains, considering how the only time we've seen him use his teleportation was to get out of being grabbed.

Also, considering her helmet has provisions to protect her face, would stabbing her in the face count as "sufficient damage to revert her to a gem?" Considering the fact Psi-Blades ignore durability, if she tried to block an attack with her helmet it would probably cut right through it.

Basically, combine Jasper's martial combat skill that is hard-wired into her due to being potentially one of the strongest Quartz soldiers in existence that we know of, make her a hell of a lot stronger, and couple it with full control of the entire ocean. That's Malachite. The water chains were literally just Lapis' attemps at restraining Malachite, she actually does use her water for both offensive (Creating shards of ice to use as projectiles and large hand pillars of water to crush or restrain the opponent) and defensive (Creating massive walls of ice) purposes. The first thing she actually tried to do when she fought Alexandrite was hit her with ranged water attacks.

Malachite took Alexandrite's wrecking ball to the face and didnt revert back to her gem

WeeklyBattles said:
...Wow, AP-wise this is actually pretty damn close. Let me see...how likely is he to lead with Psionic Storm? And does the mind destruction apply to something without an actual brain?
Mind Destruction does work without a brain for psionic storm. However Artanis never leads with it. He is a warrior at heart and will only use it after his other options have been expended.

With my questions answered, I'm going with Malachite with variable levels of difficulty depending on how she plays it. If she tries to abuse her range advantage Artanis can't really close the gap well, seeing how Standard Battle Assumptions makes him 4 kilometers away initially. Meanwhile her age alone makes that hard-wired combat skill trump Artanis's training by far, as she probably has some experience on top of it. Artanis has staying power with Resurgence, Astral Wind and his Shields in general, and the fact that Psi-Blades would cut through her like butter due to their durability negation, but she could just fly out of melee range if he managed to overwhelm her and flood him.

It all depends on how Malachite plays it. If the Jasper half takes the lead Malachite probably loses, but if Lapis is more in command then she should win.

Also how long has Jasper been in training? All her life?

And here I thought 300+ years of fighting was good... Well Malachite definitely holds the experience and range advantage, while Artanis has the power, survivability, and hax advantage. When Malachite fought Alexandrite she used physical strikes and water, didn't she?

Alright, so, my thoughts:

Water hands: Useless against Artanis. We know he uses teleportation to dodge being grabbed, as he shows here.

Ice projectiles: Will do damage and probably hurt his shields, but he will not be directly harmed.

Ice Barrier: Useless against Artanis. Either he teleports through it or cuts it in half with his psionics blades.

Charge Attack: Actually gives Artanis the advantage. He thrives up-close and personal, and will be able to use Malachite's size and his mobility to his advantage.

Water wings: Will help even the mobility advantage. Definitely a good tool.

Also it seems like she is weak to piecing/slashing attacks. Will she poof back to normal if parts of her body are cut off? If so Artanis pretty much has this in the bag, since hack n' slash is pretty much his MO.

Hmm? Where is she weak to piercing attacks? Opal's Bow has a specific quality of poofing Gems on contact if thats what youre refering to.

@Weekly

Yeah the bow is what I meant. If she isn't weak to just normal piecing/arrows this is actually a really even fight.

I'm reallt sure the psionic blades (Plasma) will really hurt. From what I see, Malachite has quite of her abilities being fairly useless in the grand scheme of things. His special attack seems to be when he gets overwhelmed, he sends out a shockwave knocking everything away. It actually seemed like zerglings were killed in the cinematic he used, so the shockwave should at least push Malachite away. It won't be easy, but if Malachite doesn't stick exclusively to ranged combat then she's pretty toast. The psionic blades are not to be underestimated even against enemies on the user's own level. I'd give it to Artanis high difficulty, although I don't know how malachite fights so I'm only guessing.

@Akreious

Calling psi blade plasma is downplay :p

But in all seriousness they are way more than plasma. They are manifestations of the Templar's psionic energy, and can even be produced without the aid of technology with enough concentration, as shown with Tassadar. That and they ignore density.

As for Malachite's fighting style, she uses both zoning attacks with her water and ice as well as melee combat. Half of her is a proficient melee fighter.

Vote added for Artanis.

Okay so I see she abuses her range at first, good that'd toll some of Artanis' shield but then she immediately went into close range where Artanis specializes.... yeah I'm sticking with my vote.

She is very diverse in attacking styles. It is basically up to Artanis to end it while she is close. All he needs to do is force them to unfuse, right? Then Malachite would just be Jasper and Lapis again.

Does it still count as "Malachite vs Artanis" if Lapis comes into play? Seems like that would just be "Lapis vs Artanis."

In the clip Lapis and Jasper are unconscious after being separated; I can't remember if that happens consistently or if it was just because Malachite was a pretty broken fusion from the start.

Shrug

That's mostly due to a combination of Malachite being a fusion formed out of hatred and conflict, and being forced to remain fused for several months while remaining in conflict with herself all that time.

Maybe we can do Artanis vs Lapis later? I think we now we should have it so separating means a loss. Malachite is a combination of the two, and if they lose together it should probably be grounds for a loss.

This is a good question for a lot of the SU Fusions.

True, then again, he doesnt exactly know Malachite is a fusion, and i'd say that of the two, the combat skill Malachite gets from Jasper trumps Artanis' in close combat

Well she is a brawler that can beat other brawlers, but how does she counter someone with durability ignoring blades built into his wrists?

If Pearl is anything to go by Gems don't do well with swords.

Weekly has told me that he does indeed vote for Malachite at high difficulty. Adding vote.

@Assalt I think you forgot to count my vote, I voted for Malachite after Weekly replied to my first response.

Back