• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A new possible guideline page (Staff only)

Ogurtsow

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
Hello. I have been working over the new guideline, you can check it in my blog. As you can see, that's about various things in profile formatting where our members make mistakes sometimes. Such a guideline could be useful: any time a member makes a mistake, an administrator or moderator can provide a link to the guideline and explain what he/she did wrong easier. For the moment of making this post, the guideline includes 15 explanations for various cases, but that's not the limit.

Possible options to improve it:

• Adding more cases of mistakes in profile formatting
  • Improving quality of the explanations
  • Turning the blog into an actual page

This is a good idea. I personally think that you can create the page.

I like the idea. I just want to know, why is bolding the |'s in keys not allowed? This refers to the guideline with the header "If your profile is divided by several keys, then you have to bold each key separately. "

It is the format that we have always used, and should currently be stuck to for the sake of consistency. We cannot update thousands of pages at this point. In addition, it looks a bit better.

That's fine, I was just curious. Anyways as stated above making this a page seems like a good idea to me.

Thank you guys. It would be better if the others give the cues to mistakes that haven't been explained in the blog yet, and then we will make the page when we run out of ideas.

We should just make a Manual of Style.

@Promestein

Do you mean that we should name Ogurtsow's page "Manual of Style" instead, or that it needs to be modified, and if the latter, in what manner?

We should do away with the Standard Format pages (or keep them, it doesn't really matter), and make a Manual of Style, akin to the Silent Hill Wiki's, detailing all the various things about how pages should be formatted and written.

Well, I would personally prefer to keep the standard format pages, but a manual of style would obviously also be helpful.

The link thing probably could do with an explanation yes...but then again we could just link them to the Links page instead.

I'll add drafting a Manual of Style to my to-do list.

Thank you very much for the help.

Should we add Ogurtsow's page as well, or incorporate the information there into the general Manual of Style?

I feel it would be best to save that for a general manual of style.

Okay.

Ogurtsow, is it fine if Promestein uses the information in your blog post for a more generalised instruction page?

@Antvasima

I would like to see what Promestein meant. Unlike the likes of the Silent Hill wiki, we don't strongly focus on encyclopedic styled articles. Instead of them, we focus on profiles ― this phenomenon is very specific for the entire wikisphere world, and thus contributors from franchise-related wikis don't have such troubles as our ones have. Our manual of style wouldn't be very similiar to the SHW's one after all.

@Andy

I used examples that can be found among our profiles.

The Manual of Style would obviously be different from the Silent Hill's, that was just an example on the type of page and its purpose. I can try to draft something up soon but I have other things to work on, on here and offsite.

So, should Ogurtsow publish the blog contents as a regular wiki page?

We could call it "Common editing mistakes" or something similar.

We should definitely have a separate page for these editing instructions. They are very common mistakes. Prom can also expand on it more when she has the time.

It seems fine for Ogurtsow to create the page then.

Would it be fine to call the page "Common editing mistakes" and then link to it in the wiki navigation bar?

Okay. I will wait for Ogurtsow to reply.

Good idea boyo.

Next up, improving calc guideline pages

From what I see, everybody supports the idea. But first of all, before making it, we should add a few more examples of mistakes, plus some minor changes. Otherwise we will return to update the page over and over again once we meet an unexplained mistake in a future profile.

If anybody knows any missed common editing mistakes, please tell me about them ― I'll add them.

My apologies, but although I keep instructing members about various editing errors, I cannot come to think of any at the moment.

However, the final instruction image is technically misleading. "At least 7-A, higher via magic poison" is how I have almost consistently tried to correct it.

Anyway, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to make the page a work in progress as we come to think of more examples?

Thank you, although the first letters of "magic poison" also shouldn't be capitalised. You can use inaccurate capitalisation within sentences as another example if you wish.

Back