• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A change in the wiki security settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lonky The Hero said:
But what if they start mass editing wiki articles?
Fandom provides convenient tools for reverting mass edits. It takes them hundreds of clicks for what can be undone in only a few.

Im with Agnaa on this. Getting more Staffmembers in low-authority roles should be more pushed instead of taking the easy way out. Chat and Content mods are crucial community jobs, who have enough authority to get their job done. They are not Admins, so getting more CANT hurt the wiki. Im not saying we should now take every Willy and promote them, but there shoudnt be such an hard requirement to become one.

I mean hell, we have less Chat-AND Content mods then Admins together. Not saying that having many Admins is bad, no no no, but having so many people in positions where reliability and trust is more important then the other 2 jobs and having so few who just monitore chat and wiki articles is kinda baffling.

Tl;Dr: Get more Chat and Content mods.

Stop spamming this thread please.

That said, I have notified Bert Hall of your concerns, but he is very busy with more important tasks and usually takes quite a while to reply.

For the record, I agree that only the chat should have a 10 edits restriction.

Lots of messages without new information or sentiments.

My apologies, but arguing for the sake of arguing in lots of posts without contributing anything new is only wasting everybody else's time.

@First Witch

It is hard to find suitable and trustworthy content moderators, but we have 5 suggestions for chat moderators in the new staff recruitment drive, and discussion moderators are also able to block people from the chat.

Uradelbauer said:
They were responding to other people. I don't see how that's wasting time.
This is a case in point of arguing over nothing for the sheer sake of arguing. Drop the subject please.

I don't know many people who would be bad or untrustworthy as moderators honestly. They usually would've been banned or warned for something past 1k edits. There are only 2 chat moderators after all.

Well, I suppose that we will eventually have to start removing his posts to not have this important thread derail completely.

We have a very large staff, and it is about to get even larger after our new staff recruitment drive, but we must still strive towards high standards of only promoting people that are reasonable, rational, reliable, mature, and levelheaded.

Our standards for promoting chat moderators are admittedly not as strict though, but, since I do not use the chat, it is hard for me to find suitable candidates on my own.

If you haven't barred me from commenting on this thread, it would clearly help to get moderators from diverse timezones onto that team. Most people here honestly fit those labels. Also, 3 chat moderators is not a large amount.

Maybe you should come onto the chat once when it is fairly active and see the atmosphere. It is quite different from the main site.

I am far too overworked to use the chat.

Uradelbauer said:
If you haven't barred me from commenting on this thread, it would clearly help to get moderators from diverse timezones onto that team. Most people here honestly fit those labels. Also, 3 chat moderators is not a large amount.

Maybe you should come onto the chat once when it is fairly active and see the atmosphere. It is quite different from the main site.
I'm pretty sure there's a separate thread where you can suggest staff.

I know there's one for suggesting calc group members, but I'm not sure about other positions.

This is the thread for suggesting calc group members, but I can't find one for suggesting other staff members, there must not be one.

Only current staff members are allowed to suggest new candidates.

While I think this is a good temporary solution, I feel like we just played right into their hands.

I don't know why, but I feel like they kinda wanted something like this to happen, to stop our community from growing.

Our community is absolutely massive as it is, with several hundred active members, to the point of nearly being unmanageable. That is the very least of our problems.

I celebrate the growth in our visitor counts and page view statistics. That is a separate issue from our several hundred monthly active contributors, who are more than enough to keep the wiki running and improving.

Eventually people become inactive and just leave. It is not sustainable. Also, the fact that no one can join will definitely impact that growth.

In the long run, yes, but we are certainly more than able to manage for a while, so I do not think that we should encourage overreactions either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back