• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Dresden typically throws fireballs or flash freezes if he's trying to kill someone.

That being said, Harry is more likely to use his gun for the killing blow here, seeing as killing a human would break the first law of magic, something that he would very very very rarely do in-character. Even with SBA's willing to kill assumption, what Dresden is actually willing to kill with wouldn't change.

What is Potter's response to Dresden's neutral special?

Expelliarmus/Relashio to disarm the gun or Accio to pull the gun for himself. Apparition is also a possible move. Pretty sure he can also survive a few gunshots not to the heart/head via sheer willpower.

As for Potter's first move when he's going for the kill , i'd guess either Sectumsepra, Diffindo, Defodio or Reducto. (If you don't know what any of these spells do just look at Harry's notable techniques, i'm too lazy to explain each one)

Given that raising a gun and pulling a trigger is around the same speed as raising a wand, I'd say apparition is his best bet there to avoid a bullet hitting him at the same time as Dresden's gun goes flying, but either way the other options aren't really lethal or incapacitating to Dresden so they get a second move.

If Dresden doesn't have a gun at that point, he'd probably be willing to kill with magic. He's "allowed" to kill with magic if it's in self defence now that I think about it.

Yeah, i'd guess that too, especially since Apparition is only really dangerous in closed off spaces.

What magic does he normally cast? From what i see any magic that doesn't ignore dura can be blocked with Protecto (since that blocks High 8-C magic).

Dresden would most likely begin with a fireball, a force push, or by removing the heat from harry's body to flash freeze him. The first two can be blocked by protego, not so much the last.

Also, Dresden has had plenty of experience fighting beings with shields stronger than what he can break, so dont think that protego is an unbeatable defence against Dresden's more physical attacks. He's used strategies like creating mist and illusions to hide himself in to attack opponent's from the direction they aren't pointing their shield in, or icing the ground so that the opponent slips over and stops maintaining the shield, or telekinetically pulling objects at then from behind. Between the fights the two of them have been in, I'd say Dresden is leagues above in trickiness and unconventional strategies. Potter from what I remember just runs around while firing off spells that travel in a straight line.

Speaking of which, Potter's spells are pretty much all straight like projectiles which Dresden is a pro at avoiding or blocking. The only really tricky thing I see is Potter's apparition, but I don't thibk he spams that and Dresden's fought a lot of supernatural fast predators so he's pretty good at nailing them when they are standing still.

Only nitpick i have is that, iirc, Sectumsepra doesn't need travel distance, and he's pretty willing to use that when trying to kill something. Otherwise, yes, Dresden seems to have a lot more experiece going for him.

I assume that's a vote for him?

Sectumspra still needs you to point at the enemy (and make a slashing motion I think) and Dresden is very good at keeping on the move to avoid being in the line of fire from people pointing lethal objects at him. Most attacks thrown at him have travel speed faster than what he can run so aim dodging is fairly necessary for him.

Yeah put me down for Dresden.

Feel free to correct me Monarch, but hasn't Dresden used things like portals to the Nevernever before to absorb really annoying attacks? I had also thought he managed to pull off summons in the past for some little help in combat, but I think I may be getting confused and remembering something else.

He has opened portals to block some attacks occasionally yes. He can pull off summons in combat but it's a relatively slow method and not his usual combat style.

I see, interesting.

Considering your points, am gonna put my vote with Harry as well. He has battled too many kinds of opponents with straightforward attacks.

Dresden FRA. Dresden's options are a lot more lethal from what I remember.

Edit: Sectumspar is just random slashes across the body right? Potter can't aim them?

I don't think Potter is an expert at aiming them, but they can be aimed. Snape aimed one to cut off a Death Eater's hand (but missed and curb off George's ear instead apparently).

Although that also reminds me of how Snape blocked sectumsempra as if it was just an invisible projectile

Not really.

Potter just has to land a hit with something like sectumsempra to win, it's just that Dresden has more experience that makes him more likely to successfully dodge Potter's spells.

doesn't Dresden have healing? I know Sectumsempra is a big deal but the two times (as far as i remember) that we see harry actually use it are once against Draco (when he doesn't know its effects) and against Snape in a fit of rage. He has wincons, but they're not very in character.

He actually doesn't even know it is Draco when he uses it in the book, but fair about not knowing it's effects.

Still, I don't see him not using it when he's in life danger.

Harry Dresden fra

Grace

Back