• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

7-B [Path to the Throne] Tournament: Brook vs Frogadier

CharactersAttack PotencyVotes
Brook (One Piece)54.28 Megatons7 (@Popted2, @noninho, @Ret_of_Guys, @DontTalkDT, @LeoEpicGamer8910, @Nierre, @GoldenScorpions )
Frogadier (Pokémon)45.88 Megatons
Inconclusive

• The match takes place at Mont Saint-Michel, during high tide. A barrier seals the island 200 meters away.
  • Starting distance is 10 meters, on the sandy part at the bottom of the island town.
  • Speed is equalized
  • Characters have their standard equipment.
  • No knowledge of each other. No civilians or vehicles in the area.
  • Stat amps cap at 100 Megatons. Stat reduction cap at 6.3 Megatons
  • Victory is achieved under what is defined by SBA.
    • Matches have a time limit of 12 hours. Past that, any decisive immobilization or incapacitation for more than 10 seconds becomes a victory condition.
Mont-Saint-Michel_vu_du_ciel.jpg

Last edited:
Oh look, same shit, different sundae, Frogadier has a nice amount of versatility but does that really matter when Brook is using a sword and he can just stroll up and just sheathe his sword?

what exactly can greninja do about Brook's immortality?
and even with equal speed, via buff, Brook will end up speed-blitzing the poor frog

via AP diff, immortality, more skill than what Protean can adapt to and speed blitz, voting Brook

what exactly can greninja do about Brook's immortality?
and even with equal speed, via buff, Brook will end up speed-blitzing the poor frog

via AP diff, immortality, more skill than what Protean can adapt to and speed blitz, voting Brook
Brook can be incapped by pain, Ryuma especially ****** him up pretty badly their second fight and Brook was incapped

not so immensily that he'll be unable to fight...
oh and also, is Frogadier's resistance to psychic stuff enough to cover him from Brook's music?
also, how does he deal with all i mentioned above?
It can happen

Dunno, maybe.

Survive and pull some AoE

Also Brook only has attack speed amps

Frogadier is pure water type unlike Greninja, it doesn't have have any psychic resistance at this stage unless it utilizes protean into a psychic resistant type

Frogadier is pure water type unlike Greninja, it doesn't have have any psychic resistance at this stage unless it utilizes protean into a psychic resistant type
which it can't, via nothing giving him an Psychic or Ghost attack, which would resist Fighting-type moves.
It can happen

Dunno, maybe.

Survive and pull some AoE

Also Brook only has attack speed amps
bruh
attack speed is pretty much enough, i'm sure

Frogadier has Protean, like Greninja, so it theoritically could.
As for other things Frogadier can do to make it hard for Brook, these moves that it learns can be useful (taken from previous match):

Double Team: "By moving rapidly, the user makes illusory copies of itself to boost its evasiveness."
Mind Reader: "The user senses the target's movements with its mind to ensure its next attack does not miss the target."
Camouflage: "The user's type is changed depending on its environment, such as at water's edge, in grass, or in a cave."
(It does seem to change the user's visual appearance, to blend in with the surroundings.)
Smokescreen: "The user releases an obscuring cloud of smoke or ink. This lowers the target's accuracy."
Substitute: "The user creates a substitute for itself using some of its own HP. The substitute serves as the user's decoy."

which it can't, via nothing giving him an Psychic or Ghost attack, which would resist Fighting-type moves.
I... never brought up resisting fighting? I talked about resisting psychic. And even then it can go for a fighting resist. Through it's movepool, it could go ghost, poison, or flying for a fighting resist

I... never brought up resisting fighting? I talked about resisting psychic. And even then it can go for a fighting resist. Through it's movepool, it could go ghost, poison, or flying for a fighting resist
Sorry, messed up a little
But still, why would anything be affected by the type changing?
Double Team: "By moving rapidly, the user makes illusory copies of itself to boost its evasiveness."
Mind Reader: "The user senses the target's movements with its mind to ensure its next attack does not miss the target."
Camouflage: "The user's type is changed depending on its environment, such as at water's edge, in grass, or in a cave."
(It does seem to change the user's visual appearance, to blend in with the surroundings.)
Smokescreen: "The user releases an obscuring cloud of smoke or ink. This lowers the target's accuracy."
Substitute: "The user creates a substitute for itself using some of its own HP. The substitute serves as the user's decoy."
Let's start:
For evasiveness to actually be effective via this move, you have to use it like 3 times lol (first time I see game mechanics abusing but on the other side) and while he does that like once, Brook can up his speed and then Frogadier gets blitzed like 60%+ of chance.

Yeah, he will ensure the next attack lands...but Brook amps his speed and, again, Frogadier gets blitzed via this not being turn-based.

Ok, frogadier is now missing... I really think IC Brook would be alert for an attack and again Amp his speed so that he can dodge an eventual attack (or get his violin, play some music and befriend the frog lol)

For accuracy, the same thing as evasiveness (I really love pokémon being op in this site, but those moves are ass even on the early-game where they appear)

He disappeared but now he's behind a substitute...while he's taking part of his HP, Brook, again, buffs his speed and eventually wrecks Frogadier via not being a turn-based combat.

Any other move?

Uh... other than those 5 moves, Frogadier doesn't really have much else. Brook, meanwhile can speed amp, is smarter, stronger and has sleep and empathic manipulation, none of which Frogadier can resist in any way. Voting Brook.

Sorry, messed up a little
But still, why would anything be affected by the type changing?

Let's start:
For evasiveness to actually be effective via this move, you have to use it like 3 times lol (first time I see game mechanics abusing but on the other side) and while he does that like once, Brook can up his speed and then Frogadier gets blitzed like 60%+ of chance.

Yeah, he will ensure the next attack lands...but Brook amps his speed and, again, Frogadier gets blitzed via this not being turn-based.

Ok, frogadier is now missing... I really think IC Brook would be alert for an attack and again Amp his speed so that he can dodge an eventual attack (or get his violin, play some music and befriend the frog lol)

For accuracy, the same thing as evasiveness (I really love pokémon being op in this site, but those moves are ass even on the early-game where they appear)

He disappeared but now he's behind a substitute...while he's taking part of his HP, Brook, again, buffs his speed and eventually wrecks Frogadier via not being a turn-based combat.

Any other move?
The reason the numbers in gameplay have been brought up for other Pokemon statistics amplification is because other mediums don't give much, if any indication of how much the statistics change.
For example, find me a Pokemon in the anime using Dragon Dance AND it being told how much stronger & faster doing that made it.
Thus, citing the numbers the game provides in the absence of other Pokemon media providing any indication of how much the move is supposed to affect things.

Frankly, I'm unsure Substitute will be relevant; The decoy it creates has a consistent appearance across media. It might allow Frogadier to escape detection briefly, & maybe confuse Brook initially about why there's suddenly a green doll where the frog monster he was just fighting was, but beyond that, I doubt Substitute would be impactful.

In the anime, Double Team still makes many illusory copies, & it does so in the games as well, as evidenced by its animations, & likewise, Smokescreen still makes a Smokescreen. The reason for the increased evasion from having illusory copies your opponent might hit instead of the real you, or a smokescreen to obscure their vision, seems evident enough that those effects should be considered regarding those moves moreso than the arguably superfluous numerical abstraction the games provide for their effects.

In simple terms:
How does Brook handle suddenly seeing multiple Frogadier & possibly having lost sight of where the real one is?
How does Brook handle being covered in smoke that obscures his vision?
Similar questions for Camouflage.

Not to deny that Brook can, but I still feel that it's worthwhile to understand how.

Also, questions about Brook's Speed Amplifications I've seen cited during this thread:

Statistics Amplification (Speed; can enhance his speed to the point where he can blitz those who can normally keep up with him via Yahazu Giri and similar moves)
  • Hanauta Sancho: Yahazu Giri (Three-Verse Humming: Arrow-Notch Slash): A high-speed technique where Brook swiftly cuts his opponent(s) as he approaches them and then re-sheats his blade.
Doesn't Brook play music before, during or after this technique, being that he's a musician & it's called "Three-Verse Humming".
When it says "similar moves", which moves does it mean?
Does it mean EVERY move under the "Fencing Style" section of his Notable Attacks/Techniques?

Does the Speed Amplification persist after he completes the technique?
Which of Movement Speed, Reaction Speed, &/or Attack Speed is the amplification for?

Also, why was stuff like Psychic & Fighting type brought up? What's the basis for considering Brooke's techniques as a type? Not that I deny that it could be....

Pardon any bother, all, please.
I enjoy opportunities to debate in Versus Threads involving any Pokemon that's not part of the creation trio, & I'd rather feel like I debated this match thoroughly than not.

Doesn't Brook play music before, during or after this technique, being that he's a musician & it's called "Three-Verse Humming".
When it says "similar moves", which moves does it mean?
Does it mean EVERY move under the "Fencing Style" section of his Notable Attacks/Techniques?

Which of Movement Speed, Reaction Speed, &/or Attack Speed is the amplification for?

I enjoy opportunities to debate in Versus Threads involving any Pokemon that's not part of the creation trio, & I'd rather feel like I debated this match thoroughly than not.
Basically, Brook either seemingly teleports(aka dashes) or walks up and blitz attacks, and he doesn't need to play music to do blitz attacks in any key.

Basically, Brook either seemingly teleports(aka dashes) or walks up and blitz attacks, and he doesn't need to play music to do blitz attacks in any key.
Noted. Also, what's the basis of him blitzing those who can normally keep up with him, as the justification claims?
Although I've seen a lot of One Piece, I'm genuinely sorry to say that I don't remember most of the characters Brooke has used his attacks on, let alone remember them by technique.

For reference, here's one of them

Ah, thank you!
(Although, that does seem to involve 1 of Brooke's post-timeskip techniques & abilities, & based on this being a 7-B Tournament, Pre-Timeskip Brooke would be being used; Post-Timeskip Brook is 7-A.)
Still, it does seem to illustrate how the technique looks & such. IIRC, Toei can be quite disreputable about their pacing & such. I doubt anyone would be willing to show how such techniques are in the manga, please?
Still, thank you nonetheless, once again!

Also, are you able to answer which types of Speed it's an amplification for or the questions about its duration?

How does Brook handle suddenly seeing multiple Frogadier & possibly having lost sight of where the real one is?
Brook is not dumb, he'll be alert and prepared to dodge (and having more speed, via amping the stat) also...
...that may be a problem for Frogadier.

How does Brook handle being covered in smoke that obscures his vision?
Escaping it..?
Again, Brook is not dumb and Frogadier is not as skilled as him.

He humms it...it's like...in the name.

Wia having AP advantage it may not be needed, but I don't think so

From what someone said above, it's for attack speed, but I remember him amping move speed as well

Also, why was stuff like Psychic & Fighting type brought up? What's the basis for considering Brooke's techniques as a type? Not that I deny that it could be....
I really don't know, and from what I got, none of this discussion actually matters and happened via confusion lol

No bother at all, you brought good enough points

...that may be a problem for Frogadier.
For this part of my post, you quoted only me saying "possibly".
Just in case, clarify what you mean, please?
Escaping it..?
Escaping it, especially immediately, may be a risky idea.
Going by Pokedex entries, Frogadier is known primarily for its precision ("It can throw bubble-covered pebbles with precise control, hitting empty cans up to a hundred feet away.") & agility; It could see him escaping the Smokescreen it put up, & attack him as he's running out. Possibly also go to another location, such as within the smokescreen, or on another side of it.
For example, via Smack Down, or the bubble-covered pebbles it's renowned for.
Alternatively, Frogadier could go in close with Quick Attack, an attack specifically for attacking with higher speed than normal.

Or it could use Spikes or Toxic Spikes to lay hazards around the area, although what are practically caltrops might be more of a nuisance to our skeleton-o'-fun.
(Then again, considering how many varieties of Pokemon can be Poisoned.... Should probably check which are mostly bone, if any.)
He humms it...it's like...in the name.
Thank you for this clarification.
Wia having AP advantage it may not be needed, but I don't think so
54.28 / 45.88 = Roughly 1.183.
Brooke is somewhere between a sixth & a fifth stronger than Frogadier, in terms of AP.
Does Pre-Timeskip do A LOT of slashes for his fencing attacks?
From what someone said above, it's for attack speed, but I remember him amping move speed as well
I can find that believable, although I wish there was material to make it more evident.
No bother at all, you brought good enough points
That's very refreshing to hear. Hopefully I don't bother you if I persist in debating.
Also still nothing about Brook's immortality 💀yohohoho
I fear I don't see most of the relevance here.
Type 2 means he can survive typically lethal injuries, & in this case, especially having his body parts seperated. But that just means you have to break his bones a lot more to defeat him, or seek other means.
It is somewhat of a hurdle, though.
Type 7 means he's undead.

Ah, thank you!
(Although, that does seem to involve 1 of Brooke's post-timeskip techniques & abilities, & based on this being a 7-B Tournament, Pre-Timeskip Brooke would be being used; Post-Timeskip Brook is 7-A.)
Still, it does seem to illustrate how the technique looks & such. IIRC, Toei can be quite disreputable about their pacing & such. I doubt anyone would be willing to show how such techniques are in the manga, please?
Still, thank you nonetheless, once again!

Also, are you able to answer which types of Speed it's an amplification for or the questions about its duration?

Short burst movement and attack speed

For this part of my post, you quoted only me saying "possibly".
Just in case, clarify what you mean, please?
I place my bets on Brook and his intelligence, so if you say possibly it will be a problem, then I'm really inclined to say his expertise won't let it happen
Escaping it, especially immediately, may be a risky idea.
Going by Pokedex entries, Frogadier is known primarily for its precision ("It can throw bubble-covered pebbles with precise control, hitting empty cans up to a hundred feet away.") & agility; It could see him escaping the Smokescreen it put up, & attack him as he's running out. Possibly also go to another location, such as within the smokescreen, or on another side of it.
For example, via Smack Down, or the bubble-covered pebbles it's renowned for.
Alternatively, Frogadier could go in close with Quick Attack, an attack specifically for attacking with higher speed than normal.
Frogadier and other pokémons who use that, do so so that the opponent has less accuracy, so how can you say he sees inside the Smokescreen? And while he enters the Smokescreen searching for the opportunity attack, gives enough time for Brook to act, via Relativistic speed being able to do things in seconds or less then that and, again, brook's I'm high alert and a hugely more experienced guy
Hopefully I don't bother you if I persist in debating.
Hell no, I love both franchises, it's cool to discuss them
I fear I don't see most of the relevance here.
Type 2 means he can survive typically lethal injuries, & in this case, especially having his body parts seperated. But that just means you have to break his bones a lot more to defeat him, or seek other means.
It is somewhat of a hurdle, though.
Type 7 means he's undead.
I really think a "somewhat of a hurdle" which Frogadier can't deal with

I place my bets on Brook and his intelligence, so if you say possibly it will be a problem, then I'm really inclined to say his expertise won't let it happen

Frogadier and other pokémons who use that, do so so that the opponent has less accuracy, so how can you say he sees inside the Smokescreen? And while he enters the Smokescreen searching for the opportunity attack, gives enough time for Brook to act, via Relativistic speed being able to do things in seconds or less then that and, again, brook's I'm high alert and a hugely more experienced guy
I wasn't speaking about Frogadier going INTO the Smokescreen.
You can create a Smokescreen & wait outside of the Smokescreen, to see if anyone exits.

& I'd be confident the anime at least has had Smokescreen being used for obscuring visions, making get aways, & other stuff that isn't purely reducing accuracy.
Hell no, I love both franchises, it's cool to discuss them
Glad to know it!
I really think a "somewhat of a hurdle" which Frogadier can't deal with
In my mind, this is a fight where one opponent (Among other differences) is around 18% stronger. It's not out of the realm of possibility to beat down someone stronger than you via tactics & such.

Speaking of, there was an alternate tactic that could come up, which I mostly learned of via my research during Frogadier's last match.

During the events of that episode, before Ash's Froakie had joined him via a Poke Ball, it had used its "Frubbles"; Sticky bubbles secreted from its skin. In that episode, it used them to immobilize a Garchomp of Professor Sycamore's that had flew up to atop of Prism Tower in a panic due to a collar Team Rocket had put on it.
As Bulbapedia says:
"Ash is trying to get close to her again, but Garchomp is still shrieking in pain and stumbles back, almost falling off of the edge. However, Froakie uses his frubbles to pin Garchomp's feet to the Tower, immobilizing her, and Ash grabs hold of her long enough for Pikachu to destroy the collar with an Iron Tail attack."

It had also used its sticky Frubbles to incapacitate Jesse's Wobbuffet, since it'd been using Mirror Coat, during the previous episode:
XIt secretes flexible bubbles from its chest and back. The bubbles reduce the damage it would otherwise take when attacked.
YIt protects its skin by covering its body in delicate bubbles. Beneath its happy-go-lucky air, it keeps a watchful eye on its surroundings.

Based on Pokedex entries, these are something ANY Froakie might use, not just Ash's.
Frogadier also seems to use them to some extent, considering it has some on its backside, & based on its Pokedex entries....
Well, Frogadier only got Pokedex entries for 4 games, all of them in Gen 6, & 2 of those Pokedex entries were repeat, for a total of only 2 unique Pokedex entries for it. 1 of those 2 is:
XIt can throw bubble-covered pebbles with precise control, hitting empty cans up to a hundred feet away.
The fact that it throws bubble-coated pebbles & the bubbles on its back suggests it uses "Frubbles" or something similar.

& considering how we scale Pokemon's LS, & that a Garchomp was restrained by using Frubble's to pin a Garchomp's feet...

Well, lemme ask this: Brook's profile lacks keys for his Lifting Strength. Does he need any revisions or upgrades to his LS?

Lifting Strength: Athletic Human (Physically stronger than Usopp)

If a panicked Garchomp that was screaming in pain could get locked in place, I'm not sure how an Athletic Human LS character is breaking out, & AFAIK, Pre-Timeskip Brook lacks the body control or such to separate his feet bones. (Not to mention I doubt he'd run well without them.)

Also, for what it's worth, Bulbapedia's blurb says this about Froakie's Frubbles vs Wobbuffet:
"When it flings the protective Frubbles that cover its back—which isn’t technically a move, and therefore not affected by Wobbuffet’s Mirror Coat".

This MIGHT exempt it from hitting with Mind Reader, since, the in-game description for that is: "The user senses the target's movements with its mind to ensure its next attack does not miss the target."
But that'd be mixing the anime & game by saying Frubbles aren't a move & the game's description of Mind Reader using the word "attack". (Not to mention, logically, being able to sense someone's move should let you reliably aim for their feet or such.)

Other means to help it hit might be Smokescreen to obscure Frubbles on the ground, or, if it's possible, using Double Team to have the illusionary copies mimicking the Frubble throwing, so it's unclear which to avoid. (I'm unsure if Double Team copies do actually imitate motions, but that'd be quite an undertaking to check, as it has literally dozens of anime appearances.)

Frogadier might also not use it because Frubbles are arguably, somewhat more of its pre-evolution's technique.

Or it could just rely on Brooke not realizing. He isn't dumb. Comical as he can be, I can imagine Brooke would have the sense to dodge even bubbly things thrown at it, as opposed to staring or poking at the bubbles or panicking.
But if Brooke dodges the bubbles thrown at his feet or such, & then later on in the fight, the Frubbles are still on the ground, he might not be paying attention to the ground as he runs to his opponent, or heck, does his iconic slow walk during his humming slash techniques.
After all, if your opponent is jumping around high or throwing projectiles or other ninja techniques, you might not be paying attention to the ground, especially when it just looks like there's some bubbles on the ground, which might be unassuming enough that Brooke might not realize the threat, if the Frubbles don't do anything when they miss & hit the floor or such.

Still, if it survives Brook doing a humming slash, & realizes it needs to stop him, this might be its most effective means of movement control. I doubt Brook would have a means of breaking free, considering the LS as I understand it.

(I swear, I've read/typed "Frubbles" so much lately....)

wasn't speaking about Frogadier going INTO the Smokescreen.
You can create a Smokescreen & wait outside of the Smokescreen, to see if anyone exits.
but Brook is a skilled guy, so he won't go out without an strategy and just get surprised by the frog, even without amping speed, subsonic=being able to react to things happening in split-second time lol

In my mind, this is a fight where one opponent (Among other differences) is around 18% stronger. It's not out of the realm of possibility to beat down someone stronger than you via tactics & such.
Via immortality, skill gap, some abilities the frog can't exactly deal with and the 18% of AP gap, i'm pretty confident now it is out of it

Speaking of, there was an alternate tactic that could come up, which I mostly learned of via my research during Frogadier's last match.
Before reading through it all, imma ask:
How do you argue that this is anime Frogadier and why wouldn't any game mechanics apply?

Why i argue game mechanics apply via the profiles talking about the game frog(s):
I can't find any image for froakie and piplup together except for fanarts and both froakie and frogadier are compared to Rhyhorn, saying he can destroy a mountain...well, guess where it is said?
"
Legends: ArceusLudicrously strong—when it butts heads with a mountain, it is the mountain that shatters. But its short legs struggle with turns, and it is incapable of stopping unless it collides with something.
" ~via PokemonDB
edit: via here it is only stated "mountain" in the game parts...just saying...and it's simply the bulbapedia...

holy shit, no, it really can't be the anime:

Bewear and it's anime version have different profiles and holy shit how big of a gap (3-C to High 7-A)
and guess which version is also stated to be comparable to Piplup and Rhyhorn..?
Yeah, we can't be talking about the anime Froakie nor Frogadier...so sorry.

holy shit, no, it really can't be the anime:

Bewear and it's anime version have different profiles and holy shit how big of a gap (3-C to High 7-A)
and guess which version is also stated to be comparable to Piplup and Rhyhorn..?
Yeah, we can't be talking about the anime Froakie nor Frogadier...so sorry.
That's stuffel That's comparable you drongo

Back