• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yujiro Earthquake Feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm on a roll with the Grappler Baki revisions I think it's time to address one last thing that many people have already touched on.

Why in the world was Yujiro's earthquake feat lowballed to a magnitude 5.5? The number is absurd and goes against not only what is being said in the scene but also the average magnitude of earthquakes in Japan itself.

A quick look at the list of earthquakes that have been recorded in Japan shows us that the average "big" earthquake is about 7.0. Now why is this important. Well let's read the feat in question. https://************.com/chapter/grappler_baki/chapter_167

The earthquake is explicitly said to be a big one, with the trained martial artists and black belts in the area falling flat on their ass from the power of the quake.

Given the information I see nothing wrong with upgrading the feat to a 7.0, but at the very least, 6.0 does the feat a lot more justice then what it currently has. Maybe a middle ground of 6.5 could work as well. Thoughts?

In a perfect world (because I'm an absolute fanboy), I'd like 7, but 6.5 definitely seems reasonable if 7 doesn't make the cut

I suppose that this seems to make sense.

Well he would either scale to being above 84.8 Kilotons or 476.9 Kilotons in Base. Add in the 3-4x Demon Back multiplier to get his DB AP.

Basically either Large Town Level or Small City Level DB Yujiro.

Agreed. This is pure speculation on my end, but ~500 kilotons seems kinda crazy (but like I said, I don't know. That totally could be the case)

I agree with amlad, the typical earthquake in japan is a magnitude 6. To 7 consistently. This looks like Magnitude 6. Magnitude 5 can only damage already structurally damaged buildings, while 6 can start to really do some damage. Magnitude 6 also has "violent shaking" in the epicenter, which the screen certainly indicates. And this was agreed uppn by three people, previously two of them being mods.

So is there any disagreeing on the value being a 6.5 rather than 5.5?

Scaling can be quickly discussed below if accepted, it's all pretty simple changes compared to last time.

The number is used because it's the minimum number that fits the Modified Mercalli intensity scale.

> VI. Strong: Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

None of the buildings shown to shake experienced any damage, which is why the number was orignially agreed upon. If the earthquake actually damaged anything please post a scan, since that would support a higher intensity rating. But as of now I don't support using a 6.5 number due to the lack of environmental damage.

The earthquake was stopped well before any major damage could occur. So I don't see that as a strong argument at all.

Amlad22 said:
The earthquake was stopped well before any major damage could occur. So I don't see that as a strong argument at all.
It went on for a couple pages and none of the buildings were notably impacted besides shaking. If no damage was shown I don't see a reason to not use 5.5

Okay. So the statistics should remain unchanged then?

In my view yes, barring more evidence that the earthquake did any structal damage.

Yeah it went on for 4 panels start to finish. With about 5 seconds of dialogue at most. So again I see no reason why that is a fair way of judging it.

Also the cast wouldn't have said it's a big earthquake if it's small compared to the average earthquakes in Japan. That just makes no sense.

The best shot we have of buildings anyway is a far off shot where the structures are shaking violently but are blurred and hard to see. Even if we are basing the value solely off of structural damage which I don't think we should, it's nearly impossible to tell what the damage was like to structures that can barley be seen.

Where is the information about 7.0 being the average earthquake coming from? You said it is but didn't give any sources.

Literally just searched up notable earthquakes in Japan and found pages listing all recorded earthquakes.

Also found a fact that stated Japan alone contributes to over 20% of earthquakes over magnitude 6 in a year.

I just don't see the evidence for a 6.0 or more. It's all based on stuff not shown in the scene.

Also thought I'd compile this.

Agree- BakiHanma18, Cropfist, Ali jr, KGiffoni, myself

Disagree- Qawsedf234

In between- Antvasima

Not sure where Schnee and Andy sit rn but this is what I get with all opinions so far for a 6.5 rather than 5.5

I agree with Qawsedf that we have to go by the effects shown on-page.

There are no clear effects shown on page. What we have to go off of is the statements from the cast. If the buildings were closer and more visible I'd understand that argument. But I don't see the logic behind it.

Okay, so what is stated regarding the strength of the earthquake, and do we have any data regarding how powerful an average Japanese earthquake is?

Going by the Japanese scale it seems like a Shindo 4. Which is equal to a V-VII on the Mercalli scale.

Seems like a 5 on the Japanese scale to me. Not sure what that is in our earthquake chart.

@Qawsedf Should we go with magnitude 5 in the Richter scale then?

That is Multi-City Block level via radiated waves, and City level via total seismic energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back