• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Worst Downplay 2

@Shadow probably something about Infinite lives or automatic healing; aka game mechanics.

You know what's hilarious? I just saw a playthrough of nes contra and tried to look up its profiles here, without any further context on the series.

You couldn't have picked a better time to talk about surprises.

Yeah, a lot of Classic video game characters are surprisingly OP such as the ones from Contra or Castlevania; and we also got 5-B Toejam and Earl. But they get downplayed a lot because "muh game mechanics"

Geniuene question what is the argument against that? Geniuenely curious

Ignoring the fact that we obviously judge how strong a character is within their respective world, like Kirito for example

A common joke i hear is "you can solo Digimon by turning off the internet."

I also hear this with Megaman Battle Network

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Yeah, a lot of Classic video game characters are surprisingly OP such as the ones from Contra or Castlevania; and we also got 5-B Toejam and Earl. But they get downplayed a lot because "muh game mechanics"
Doesn't a lot of Castlevania's more powerful stuff come from lore? Kinda hard to through "muh game mechanics" at that.

Js250476 said:
A common joke i hear is "you can solo Digimon by turning off the internet."
I also hear this with Megaman Battle Network
I love this as people clearly forget that Digimon aren't man-made creations and forget that these Wall - Multiversal+ beings come to the human world in nearly every piece of media. I don't think they need to worry about you turning off the internet lol seeing as they don't live in the internet, but an entirely different world.

Castlevania has tiers off of background changes. I can understand not considering that tbh.

I think a lot of people in general look for constant on screen busting feats instead of also reading lore and such. While Digimon has quite a few on screen 2-A feats. Many of it's stuff comes from lore and other canonical and official material that detail events in the series. (See Vademon and Etemon"s feats). Or TES, SMT, DnD, etc in which many details are in lore and not just on screen blowing up Galaxies, Universes, etc every single fight.

There's also people trying to downplay Simon Belmont because "He can't swim"

Andytrenom said:
"Hey you see that giant hand big enough to be seen from space coming near earth? Just turn off the Internet, it will solve all problems"
I am allowed to bring up Fusion right?
Turning off the Internet will totally keep this from happening.

Wild Alphamon Appears

Also, people often forget that not every Universal or higher character has the range to bust a universe. Just can exert energy comparable to said force..if my knowledge on Attack Potency is correct.

Js250476 said:
"He's just a guy with a whip your telling me he can bust universes?" that's probably been asked before
Reminds me of a certain other statement that has been mentioned a lot. Try to guess what it is.

Yeah, Destructive Capacity =/= Attack Potency; and precision strikes to harm characters with Universal durability is more so the requirement.

Exerting that amount of energy should logically permeate over that range is the thing. If I can punch with 4-A force and strike something for example, it's gonna create a shockwave that large. Given that tier 2 and above is supposed to be infinite, I can understand where that stuff comes from myself.

True, fiction tends to not play by those rules however.

One statement I have heard about Castlevania is that "they can be that strong as they are only guys using medieval weapons".

Obviously fiction doesn't treat things like that and we separate the two, I'm just saying I see where the idea comes from if you're not oriented towards that sort of thing in the way we are.

You could if you had enough air, and you could hit a planet hard enough to accelerate the chunks to near SOL with that sort of thing, but doing it on a normal atmosphere would just spread it really thin really fast because there's just not very much and it wouldn't break SOL because we're adhering by actual physics rn I guess.

Well you did give give 4-A Shockwave as an example of something that should logically happen..so yeah.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Game mechanics that let you glitch through walls and do reality warping stuffs or even time manipulation... #makesmethink #glitchplease

Really, Castlevania TAS has been a meme for low multiversal abilities.

Well I think I ran into the hardest downplay for the nipponverse I think I will ever see. Claiming Laharl is 11-A, since The Creator of all demons, makes them by writing books about them. There for Laharl is a 2D being at best.

Like Laharl seems to be the most wanked, and downplayed character of the verse.

Back