• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wolverine's claws have durability negation?

Hey just wondering what type of "durability negation" wolverine's claws have because as far as I'm aware it's just a really strong metal. I looked on the durability negation page, and none of the types seem to fit his claws. Just curious as to why we don't just say his claws have solar system AP.

No matter how strong the metal is, he should logically not be able to wield them with anywhere near enough force to cause damage to opponents many exponential degrees beyond his own power level. Hence, Marvel treats it as magical durability negation due to rule of cool plot convenience.

If we gave Wolverine a higher tier again, that would imply that he has raw power of that level, which is very inappropriate.

Except Wolverine is only that level with claws, and people with adamantium weapons have cut through 4-B beings before, if Doctor Doom is anything to go by. Also, piercing damage. If it truly negated durability, it would have been able to counteract Cap's shield, which it doesn't.

We received a lot of complaints due to people thinking that we assigned him raw power on that level. Regardless how hard and sharp the claws are, somebody of his power level should mathematically not remotely be able to harm characters such as Thanos, who can tank solar system destroying explosions point blank. Hence it is treated as limited plot-driven durability negation in lack of better options.

I would appreciate if you drop this subject, as I do not have the time to argue, and it won't lead anywhere anyway.

Maybe add that his claws negate dura upto 4-B for easier reference?

That is not necessary. It can also potentially cause confusion again.

I mean the thano's feat is obviously an outlier so you could just mark that off, thanos has tanked attacks that negate durability all the time, I don't see why it's outlandish to say wolverine has that much ap. He is physically having to swing and cut beings like hulk and thor.

It's not an outlier, Thanos was holding back and getting harmed by other 4-B stuff. "thanos has tanked attacks that negate durability all the time" doesn't really mean anything.

AP would imply that he can hit with a 4-B level of energy. He is not intended to be anywhere near that strong.

Anyway, we should probably close this thread.

Eficiente said:
It's not an outlier, Thanos was holding back and getting harmed by other 4-B stuff. "thanos has tanked attacks that negate durability all the time" doesn't really mean anything.
Also a possibility, regardless it wouldn't counter wolverine's ap.

He is officially supposed to be about as strong as Captain America, and can consistently be damaged by regular people with regular weapons. He is nowhere near as powerful as the Hulk and Thor. It was treated as impressive and an exertion of power for him to just lift a very heavy regular man above his head and start dancing. However, he is also treated as a walking pile of Plot-Induced Stupidity, which we translate as having a degree of durability negation with his claws.

Even tho we rate profiles with weapons as X, higher with weapons and stuff.

Antvasima said:
He is officially supposed to be about as strong as Captain America, and can consistently be damaged by regular people with regular weapons. He is nowhere near as powerful as the Hulk and Thor. It was treated as impressive and an exertion of power for him to just lift a very heavy regular man above his head and start dancing. However, he is also treated as a walking pile of Plot-Induced Stupidity, which we translate as having a degree of durability negation with his claws.
I don't really get what you are trying to say here Ant. Wolverine is already rated at 8-A anyways, which from a realistic perspective would already make him bullet-proof and immune to regular weapons, so those are really just low-ends. Using them in arguments to say he can't be X Tier is no better than saying Thor shouldn't be 4-B because he has low-ends of being knocked out by bullets and threatened by piles of bombs.

At this point we either rate him at "4-B with Adamantium Claws" or consider them an outlier. It's most certainly better than saying his Claws somehow ignore durability, which honestly seems like bullshit to me.

He is consistently treated as vulnerable to regular weapons and as having quite low attack potency without them though, certainly far below 8-A, so we are already using high ends.

Regardless, I much prefer our current setup, as it avoids misunderstandings. It turned into a common meme outside of this wiki to make fun of us because they thought that we think that he can punch with that much force. In-universe, Adamantium is treated as being able to cut through virtually anything, regardless of the force behind the strikes, even though it doesn't make any sense. Hence, durability negation up to a certain point.

We can specify on the profile that the claws penetrate up to 4-B. That could make sense, just not saying it's his actual force.

If we are using the high-ends, then we shouldn't use the low-ends. It's that simple, so either we disregard the latter and treat them as simple outliers or we disregard the former and downgrade Wolverine and every "Street Tier" character on Marvel to 9-C or 9-B.

Saying he is capable of harming Solar System level characters with his Claws and them alone wouldn't cause any confusion. It's not like we make a explicit distinction between Attack Potency and Destructive Capacity anyway, and other communities making fun of us really shouldn't interfere with how we rate our profiles.

Well, we essentially say the same thing currently, but in a different manner that is less likely to cause any confusion. I don't personally see any problems with our current approach.

I agree with Ultima on this one. Other communities making fun of us should be the least of our problems.

Also, nobody ever brought up the notion that Wolvie uses 4-B force to penetrate 4-B characters with his claws. His claws by default are 4-B for being laced with adamantium, just like how swords are by default 9-C in the hands of a 10-B or 10-A character.

Well, it is an absolutely staggering difference that does not make any sense in terms of the laws of physics, so again, I much prefer our current less confusing setup.

I don't see why adamantium being 4-B not making sense in the laws of physics is a problem when Wolverine himself already does that.

Also, Adamantium has repeatly hurt 4-B characters and tanked 4-B attacks, so i don't see the problem.

@Antvasima

we have many character with weapon(sword, axe, hammer, gun etc )4-B ......3-A so on but without weapon they are tier 10,9,8 etc.

durability negation is unnecessary otherwise we have to downgrades character like above.

Yes, if it were really durability negation characters would be able to have Resistance to that, which is silly as it is just force.

Antvasima said:
Well, it is an absolutely staggering difference that does not make any sense in terms of the laws of physics, so again, I much prefer our current less confusing setup.
Except, it isn't confusing, and we use X, higher with Swords/Guns/Axes/Melee weapon for a crapton of profiles on this site, like Omimi just stated. And if a weapon has a calculation and a proper tier accepted for it, we use just that, regardless of the massive AP difference at times.

For example, MCU Loki is physically At least 8-A but he becomes 7-A with Gungnir and the Chitauri Spear for being able to physically harm MCU Thor and injure him (Loki even has keys for this). Ronan on his lonesome is also At least 8-A but with the Power Stone attached to his hammer he can swing that hammer with 5-A energy (With the Power Stone also having a key, though I could be wrong since one can fully amp oneself with the Power Stone as seen countless times in IW and Endgame).

Though aren't most of those examples weapons that are powered by other stuff? I'm no MCU expert, but isn't the Chitauri Spear strong because its powered by energy that lets it cut very well and while Gungnir made by strong metal isn't also powered by magic?

Didn't Thor get rekt by Hela while wielding Gungnir? Also, AFAIK, only the Power Stone actually amps a person physically.

Also Loki has been noted to be able to stab people several tiers above him with his own knives.

@Ultima

Are you willing to handle the updates?

Back