• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why isn't DB Kai used for scaling DBZ and Super?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just wanted to know why DB kai isnt used as a source for scaling DB characters like even super uses kai clips and DB Kai is also edited to follow the original DB Manga as all the filler was cut out sides the filler that is cannon to the storyline I.E Buuhan vice shout. Hell was also retconned but that doesnt invalidate kai from the original manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToktTPdGux8

DBS also uses kai clips in its flash backs as in the future trunks flash back he mentions vegeta and gohan. We also have freizas flash back with trunks as well. You can see that the voice acting/ clips are from DB Kai. So any filler scenes in kai are just cannon filler as its to extend the run time. Other than that it follows the manga beat by beat.

Here are some examples of Kai being used in super, if Kai wasn't linked to the primary source then why would super be using DB Kai as a source. Just find it very confusing that Kai is some how not used as a source yet for scaling DBZ and DBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJklyX8BtO8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToktTPdGux8

Code:
https://youtu.be/a7R3jvV3FwM
Uhhh...No its the same clip.Voice acting is the same, GT is the only one that changes dialouge from the orginal.

Well, it has some differences from the manga. That's why it's not considered as a part of the main continuity.

I personally thought whatever the differences were, they were approved by Toriyama because when Kai aired, it was branded as "Original Akira Toriyama Cut Version".

Yet DBS uses clips from kai. The differences in the manga are merely canon filler. Asides hell and pikkon they all just serve a purpose. Dbs is part of the main continuity it pretry much references kai by using it scenes as flash backs. So.. it would be connected to the manga

@Pachi2 When Kai adapts the manga, its illogical to dismiss kai for no reason as we have the manga. Dbs is part of the main story line ans it uses kai so no. Its just as relevent as a source as the manga

Kai is an adaptation.

We use the primary source. The same way we dont use films to scale and we use the books they are based on.

What's our policy on OPM? Don't we use the anime too?

Why not only the webcomic and manga? I mean I know ONE is involved in the anime, but we don't know how much. On another note, Kai was also branded as "Original Akira Toriyama Cut Version" but we don't use it.

I get that there are more contradictions in Kai than the OPM anime, but shouldn't the standards be the same?

I mean.

I know little about OPM, but you cant take the manga and not the anime because Im pretty sure that ONE only creates the webcomic and supervises the other two. And adds stuff.

I guess it's case by case basis then. Our Harry Potter and GoT profiles are also composite like OPM.

AKM sama said:
I guess it's case by case basis then. Our Harry Potter and GoT profiles are also composite like OPM.
Composite dragon ball is just dbz anime because the only difference between manga and anime is the powerlevel and that's it.

And if anyone wants to use Anime versions of canon dbz characters, are free to do so. They are exactly the same only changing the tier and speed iirc.

Most people who Wonder of the power of DB characters are typically reminiscent of the original anime or Kai. Most people who actually debate DB characters typically use Kai. I just don't see why we don't cover it instead of just the manga.

Kai is basically canon, any filler scenes from z that are still in kai have all been confirmed by toriyama and dont forget that toriyama was heavily involved with filler in z as has been stated in interviews, there's some filler that he created and/or was heavily involved in creating so it is logical to assume that the scenes which remain in kai are scenes that toriyama considers part of the canon as that is basically the whole point in kai being a thing, to basically be an anime adaptation that closely follows what toriyama considers to be canon and cut out all the shit he doesn't think to be relevant. That's why kai is used to tie in with super as it is all linked together etc.

Also could there not just be a profile for anime only goku and manga goku and other main characters like vegeta etc? Or like a highball key and a lowball key?

That would only be for DBS manga and Anime as the events are radiaclly different compared to eachother. Kai's filler merely support the arc as Buu was stated that he would destroy the universe and the vice shout supports the arguement as it gives us a solid feat. We have goku admitting that gohan surpassing him, as it shows him going SSJ2. Kai's fillers offers explainations to key events that happen in the manga but dont actually appear on the page. Similar to the History of Trunks and Bardock movie. This would be a primary canon like the manga.

What I meant to say was The footage shown in the flashbacks are canon, but ONLY the footage from the flashbacks.

Super uses Kai clips because they have better quality and the only ones shown are canon, also the destroy universe and Vice Shout stuff was discussed and debunked countless times, it's even a discussion rule. So, it's preferable if you drop them.

Again the arguements stems form the illogical reason to dismiss kai as a source for scaling, cause its canon to super which Super is connected to the main timeline. I mentioned the vice shout as an example of filler being canon to the storyline that is present.

Kai is also following the orignal manga as well..so why would only certain clips be canon to super when DB kai follows the orignal manga entierly.

Kai has also the Ginyu switching body with Bulma plot, which did not happened in the Manga.

Again, doesnt matter its still canon to the storyline that is present. I think you're missing the point any filler that is present is canon to the present story line.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...rms-dragon-ball-kai-is-edited-to-follow-manga

Like its purpose is to follow the manga, so any decision that was made for filler clips are to fall in line with the manga regardless if it happened in the manga or not.

If you can show me something that kai does that completely contradicts the story line, then Ill look into it. From what I've seen the filler present usually is connected to the storyline and serves a purpose for said plot

We do not accept that, we don't include filler from an Anime to being canon to the manga. Even if we would accept Kai as canon, it would not change any profile. So, it does not matter.

Did you not read my point? The filler DB kai is canon to the story line, you also unironcally scale DBS which is connected to the DBZ manga, and it mentions kai in its flash backs. I don't think you really read my points. Hell you can arguement sums up to its not in the manga so its non canon even though you can argue that Kai explains stuff that isnt touched up in the manga I.E Gohan going SSJ2 and Vegeta going SSJ. I don't think you understand my arguement Kai should be a valid source for DB content/scaling cause its litterally an animated version of the manga with little to no filler. Any filler that is present, is canon to the story line. Even toei themselves admit that Kai is going to follow the manga. So no, its illogical to jump to the conclusion that kai isnt canon as the mere fact that you add Super Goku to the profiles then you agree to the notion that kai is canon as it mentions kai like 3 times. If kai was non canon as you conclude then why not just reanimate the scenes entierly. Why are the clips litterally the same from KAI. Even the people animating the manga confirms that kai is following the manga.

Kai and its filler is canon? Guess that means canonically Freeza was in hell watching Goku fight and defeat Kid Buu and then was moved to a different hell and gained amnesia so he didn't remember he watched Goku defeat Kid Buu in an entirely separate hell oh and he randomly reverted back to his Mecha Freeza form despite being in his original form while he watched the battle with Kid Buu.

@Dust Collecter No they retconned that, I mentioned that piror. Hell was also changed in DBS as well. Its a simple retcon,I mentioned it in my piror points. Nobody seemed to even read it.

As Dark649 and Dust Collector mentioned, Kai sometimes diverges from the manga in terms of storyline, and we generally prefer to use the original canon when possible.

Could you explain how it diverts from the main storyline.I already pointed out how hell was retconned anyways.

I don't remember well enough to give indepth explanations, but have been repeatedly told that it does by several staff members, whose judgements I trust, that it diverges enough from the original canon to make the manga safer to scale from.

In addition, using the original canon is our general praxis.

That is true, although I don't think that Kai had as much filler as the original series.

When I already addressed the filler not even diverging from the anime. The only one that diverges was Hell but that was retconned. As these so called fillers do contribute to the canon story as stated before gohan going SSJ2 and vegeta going SSJ offering an explanation on how they achived these forms. Its still canon, as toei even admits that its edited to follow the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back