• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is the Executor-class at 5B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
Can someone please explain to me why exactly the Executor-class Star Dreadnought is at 5B? Aren't these things surface wipers i.e. multi-continent at best? I don't recall these things being able to outright destroy a planet entirely.

Thanks in advance.

It says that with a continuous bombarding it can reach Planet level, not that individual weapons are Planet level.

The reason why it was at 5-B due to continous bombardment from the weapons that individually are at a lower tiering as it is a unique star destroyer and I believe it was scaled to the normal star destroyer as it does have a lot of firepower that even a normal star destroyer doesn't have.

Kkapoios said:
It says that with a continuous bombarding it can reach Planet level, not that individual weapons are Planet level.
Even with continuous bombardment, the best it can do is probably wipe out the surface/crust which is multi-continent level. I don't recall any instance or even an utterance from some character in all the Star Wars novels and comics I've read of the Executors being capable of outright destroying a planet entirely.

Starkiller215 said:
The reason why it was at 5-B due to continous bombardment from the weapons that individually are at a lower tiering as it is a unique star destroyer and I believe it was scaled to the normal star destroyer as it does have a lot of firepower that even a normal star destroyer doesn't have.
Individually, I believe the heavy turbolasers are at large island level (and these things pack 2000 of them). Anyway, refer my comment above. At best, it's probably a surface wiper which is multi-continent. I wish to know what justification is there for a 5B rating. Is it based on some feat or some character stating what an Executor is truly capable of? Is it based on some calc for net yield during continuous bombardment?

Starkiller215 said:
@Soldier Blue You are incorrect on how much weaponry they have in total if you counted in all turbolasers and ion cannons for this particular type of ship which it was over 4,000 weaponry in total in the EU and in canon apparently over 5,000 of both ion cannons and turbolasers combined last I checked. Here it is the info on it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought/Legends
The 2000 figure I stated was only for "heavy" turbolaser cannons. These are large island level with individual shots and what will do the most damage during orbital bombardment.

Again I ask - is there a calc or statement I'm missing which backs up the 5B level yields for the Executor's weaponry via continuous bombardment?

You realize if someone with Wall level power continuously beat on a beat on a building, it will be destroyed.

Drellix said:
You realize if someone with Wall level power continuously beat on a beat on a building, it will be destroyed.
That's the problem @Drellix. The Executors can at best wipe out the crust and not the entire planet. And that is multi-continent level.

No feats or even statements from characters and data books to back it up. I really want to know where the planet level rating for the Executor comes from.

Drellix said:
If you kept hitting the earth with Continent level attacks, you're going to eventually destory it
The only warhsip in Star Wars with a continent level weapon (per shot yield) is the Eclipse whose super-laser can pierce tectonic plates and destabilize a planet's crust.

Fun Fact: The Eclipse's super-laser is actually a miniature version of the Death Star's.

The Executor's weaponry consists of:

Hundreds of Point defence turrets - several Megatons per shot

4000 Turbolasers and Heavy turbolasers - 200 to 240 Gigatons per shot

I might make a revision request thread for the Imperials and Executors later. Thank you for the discussion and for reminding me of this thread @Drellix. I had actually forgotten about it.

• Unless the Executor Class Dreadnought has been shown to destroy a planet, or was described to have destroyed a planet with continuous bombardment, the 5-B statement needs to be removed.
  • The description for the Executor Class Dreadnought states that it can life wipe entire planets in minutes. However, this feat takes minutes to do so, and not just seconds.
  • Also, we do not allow repeated attacks/continuous bombardment as direct AP here on this site, as AP only applies for feats that are done in a single, direct attack.
Executor Dreadnought's AP needs to be downgraded. Preferably to

Attack Potency: At least 6-A

• This is because it takes minutes to destroy the entirety of a planet's surface, and not done instantly.

It takes hours for an Executor to waste a planet's crust actually. I don't recall any book/comic I've read where it was stated to be capable of surface wiping in minutes. Even with a Base Delta Zero, where an Executor would get help from a small fleet of Imperial ISDs, it would take a while to surface wipe.

I am unsure about weapons profiles, but for character profiles, we do not allow combinations of multiple attacks from a said characters as a part of his/her AP. However, I will ask about the CAS-class Assault Carrier.

We only take the AP of a character for single strikes only, as the AP system is generally used to measure how much potential damage he/she can do with a single attack (unless he/she released multiple attacks at the same time, such as a barrage of missiles).

Also, if what you said is true about the Executor taking hours to wipe out a planet's surface, this may actually downgrade the Executor even further, as the Executor can't just waltz into a planet and obliterate its surface immediately.

@Lina Shields

Yes the Executor needs a downgrade.

Their armaments:

A few hundred point defence turrets = 6 or 7 Megatons per shot

A few thousand heavy turbolasers = 200 to 240 Gigatons per shot

As you can see, they have armaments only in the city level and large island level range. The continent level rating on the current profile is via contunuous bombardment only. There is only one ship in Star Wars with a continent level weapon (per shot). That would be the Eclipse-class.

Proposed change:

Attack Potency: City level with point defence turrets | Large Island level with heavy turbolasers | Continent level via continuous orbital bombardment

After talking with an another admin here on the forums, the answer is that we are not allowed to count continuous bombardment as direct AP. This applies for weapons profiles as well.

This means that we can only find the AP of the Executor-Class Dreadnought based on how much power it can dish out in a single attack. Thus, continuous bombardment is a no-no.

Here is my proposed change.

Attack Potency: City level with Point-Defense Turrets, at least Large Island level with Heavy Turbolasers

However, a source indicating the power of Point-Defense Turrets and Heavy Turbolasers would be helpful.

@Lina Shields

So does this mean I should remove the 6A rating for the CAS-class as well as the War Sphinxes on the Forerunner profile?

As for the ratings of the point defence turrents and heavy turbolasers:

Star Wars ICS details the firepower of various Republic and CIS ships. Point defence turrets range from 4.8 to 6 Megatons or higher while heavy turbolasers are stated to be in the 200+ Gigaton range.

Feats:

Starkiller125 linked a calc above which pegged one shot at 31 Petajoules and this was from a film.

In the very first episode of The Clone Wars 2008 series, you see a Munificent-class frigate firing her point defence turrets at some escape pods. Some of the shots go straight down to the moon and you can see the explosions from orbit.

Two decent feats and they're both Disney canon.

One ICS anecdote states that a Munificent-class once melted a 1000 km diameter ice moon with shots from her heavy turbolasers.

ChaosTheory123 over on NF did a clac for the turbolasers of some Old Republic era ships and got triple digit Gigatons. You're on NF right? Ask him.

With regards to the 6-A rating for the CAS-class, as well as the other weapons that have the term "continuous bombardment", I would wait before making those changes, as I have asked Antvasima about what he thinks about the matter.

The mention of Star Wars ICS is not enough proof. It would be preferable that you get the exact quote/excerpt from the book explaining the power of the Point Defense turrets and the Heavy Turbolasers having that much power, as these will be added to their profiles

As for Feats:

• I do not see see the calc that you said Starkiller posted in this thread. Tell him to post in here in this thread.
  • The Munificent-class frigate feat from the Clone Wars 2008 series would actually need to be calculated, as we do not know how large the explosion was when the shots went straight down to the Moon.
  • The Munificent-class melting the 1000km diameter Ice Moon would also need to be calculated, but again, I would need to exact quote, or an excerpt, from the book, for solid proof.
Again, does anyone have a copy of the Star Wars ICS book? I would need the direct source from the book before applying any changes.

I don't have a copy of the ICS for Episode II and III (which have the needed info) I'm afraid. I'm going to have to get a copy from a friend (who is a huge Star Wars nut) or get the e-book and then post a screenshot. That might take some time.

As for the calc Starkiller gave me, it was on my message wall.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/Power/

That calc page seems to be very well made. I will take a look at it.

Also, I cannot find a copy of the ICS for Episodes 2 and 3, no matter where I look at it, so it would be very appreciated if you can get your friend to help you with this, or get an E-book.

That means if they do discount the continuous bombardment part as direct AP, then I gonna have to change the tier for the Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War. Also Lina, can you provide the thread you guys talk about regarding continuous bombardment?

@SK: It was a private discussion held between the admins, and thus it should be kept private.

However, there is a feat in Gears of War 1 where the hammer of dawn makes an enormous fireball in the first cutscene of said game. That is likely the AP of the hammer of dawn.

It needs to be calcated however.

@Lina Shields

Couldn't get my hands on the ICS we need. My friend doesn't have them.

Soldier Blue said:
The Executor's weaponry consists of:

Hundreds of Point defence turrets - several Megatons per shot

4000 Turbolasers and Heavy turbolasers - 200 to 240 Gigatons per shot.
The amount of Turbolasers is incorrect. It has 5,000.

One major question: Can the Dreadnought fire all 5,000 of those heavy turbolasers simultaneously (at a single point)? If so, let me check...

2.4e11 x 5000 = 1.2e15 Tons of TNT, which is at Continent level.

I believe this is where the original 6-A rating comes from in regards to the Dreadnought's turbolaser yield.

@Drellix Hmmmm I petty sure you can fire from both the top and the bottom as there were scenes involving normal star destroyers doing it when they were in combat partly to defend from any fighters intending to destroy the said ships.

I can try and get the ICS books we need but I'll need more time.

I got the Force Awakens ICS and will go through it later. It has a description of the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer. Hoping it has details on fire-power.

@Lina Shields

No yields given for the point defence turrets and turbolasers in the Force Awakens ICS. All it says is that the turbolasers on the Resugent-class can "reduce planetary surfaces to molten slag" with continuous orbital bombardment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back