• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is it impossible to counter absolute zero with heat

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
On the Samus V Ryuko thread and a revision thread for Dante, it was stated that it was impossible to counter absolute zero with heat. This doesn't make any sense to me. Absolute zero is simply the absence of energy and thus motion/vibration in the atoms, while heat is the energy and motion/vibration in atoms. Why is it impossible (or requires infinite energy) to heat up something at absolute zero then? Surely all it would require is for a heat ray/a few UV rays/ etc to hit, and then it has energy again so it isn't absolute zero

Isn't the basis of thermodynamic itself that if you have two objects, one hotter and one colder, the heat is transmitted from the hottest to the coldest until their temperature is the same? I don't see why absolute zero should be an exception

When temperature tends to 0 K the heat capacity of the object tends to zero so if anything absolute zero wouldn't last, the object would start to heat up immideatelly.

I just went through the wikipedia and simple english wikipedia pages for Absolute Zero, as well as pages on entropy and enthalapy. Nothing on them says it is impossible or requires infinite energy to heat something up from absolute zero, and both of them say that one of the main reasons we can't achieve absolute zero is that any particle or wave to touch them would instantly restore energy into the system. So I don't believe it is correct that absolute zero is some kind of "black hole" of temperature

I will inform DontTalk about this thread.

Well, no official page claims that heat can't counter absolute zero (I think) and I also don't think it is the case.

So yeah, you are right about it not needing infinite energy.

Permission to bump this thread, as it is rather important.

So if there is no official page that states heat cannot negate absolute zero, this would mean that any character who is able to generate a sufficient amount of heat would survive under absolute zero conditions, correct?

I think so, yes, but regrettably DontTalk is not here anymore to answer.

Back